PDA

View Full Version : Channel 6 Interview....Wear your boots because it is THICK!!

09-29-2010, 12:10 AM
Suspended Police Chief: Offensive E-mails Were for Training Purposes
Wilton Manors Police Chief speaks about racist e-mail controversy
By TODD WRIGHT
Updated 7:00 PM EDT, Tue, Sep 28, 2010

www.nbcmiami.com (http://www.nbcmiami.com)

Wilton Manors Police Chief Richard Perez claims the racially insensitive and offensive e-mails he sent from his work computer weren't just jokes - they were training material.

Dozens of e-mails degrading women, blacks and Democrats were forwarded by Perez to his command staff and friends and discovered during an investigation earlier this month. Perez has been suspended 30 days without pay for the jokes, but his excuse might be even more disturbing than the jokes themselves.

Among the jokes found in Perez's e-mail was a story hinting President Barack Obama is the offspring of a woman and an animal.

“A little boy said to his mother, ‘Mommy, how come I'm black and you're white.’ His mother replied, ‘Don't even go there, Barack! From what I can remember about that party, you're lucky you don't bark!’” read the e-mail, sent from Perez on July 23.

N-Word Laced Message Latest Strike Against Police Chief
WATCH N-Word Laced Message Latest Strike Against Police Chief
"It's political satire. It was not to be racially motivated," Perez said Tuesday. "People who work for me currently and in the past know I treat people with dignity and respect."

But the Obama joke was one of the easier e-mails to swallow. .

This one, entitled "Math Class," pokes fun at education in the inner city.

"Dwayne pimps 3 ho's. If the price is $85 per trick, how many tricks per day must each ho turn to support Dwayne's $800 per day Crack habit?” reads that e-mail.

Perez explained that he has used such e-mails as part of his lesson plan at Broward College, where he used to teach professional development before he was removed from the classroom after the controversy. Gov. Charlie Crist also removed the police chief from his post on a law enforcement panel he was appointed to in 2007.

Other e-mails use the N-word. Perez admitted he has forwarded several of those.

"I teach stereotyping. I teach ethics. I teach diversity," he said. "I have several of those and I forward them to my friends, who download them. That's not an excuse. I should not have done this on a city computer."

09-29-2010, 02:01 AM
If his excuse is true, it puts the academy in a vulnerable position with FDLE....They are supposed to be monitoring their instructors. So now Mr. Perez is going to drag down the standing of the Broward Academy. If Linda Wood takes this guy back, she should leave. I've taken many classes there, no other instructor of human diversity used that kind of material. Me thinks Mr. Perez is reaching....beyond his reach.

09-29-2010, 02:51 AM
Hey Chief do you really believe the city manager, mayor and commissioners are going to buy this one. If they do, your choice of alcoholic beverage is on me, then we can all laugh at them for being so gullible. Quick have Captain Seibert take down the George Bush Pictures in your office and put up President Obamas picture, that way it will look like you are an Obama supporter (wink, wink). I heard Sergeant Bigotsen have picture of Jesus, Martin Luther King and President Obama in his living room. Borrow his Obama picture if you can persuade him, after all he has several.

09-29-2010, 03:17 AM
It's political satire. It was not to be racially motivated," Perez said Tuesday. "People who work for me currently and in the past know I treat people with dignity and respect.

They should have been at the press conference with you! But darn you are the chief and not one minority will come forward and publicly support you! Maybe they know you smile in their faces but mean them no good?

09-29-2010, 10:16 PM
"He's the Chief of Police" says Navarro, he should know better.
He's absolutely right. He should have be fired immediately. The City of Wilton Manors and the City Manager are allowing this man to embarrass any speck of leadership.
Every time he opens his mouth he is still the Wilton Manors Police Chief.
How disgraceful for Wilton Manors and Law Enforcement.

09-29-2010, 10:19 PM
Where's the discipline for the other two WMPD participants...oh that's right-we'll put one in charge for now.

09-30-2010, 12:33 AM
According to channel 6, this is an e-mail that Richard Perez sent out. This man is a disgrace and needs to be terminated.

OSAMA & OBAMA
Both have friends
THAT BOMBED THE PENTAGON

09-30-2010, 05:07 PM
See it live!!!
http://www.nbcmiami.com/

Police Academy Dean Disputes Chief's E-mail Excuse
Police academy dean disputes suspended police chief's claim e-mails were "for training"
By JEFF BURNSIDE
Updated 10:25 AM EDT, Thu, Sep 30, 2010

Wilton Manors Police Chief Richard Perez claimed he sent out offensive racial and sexual e-mails because he was using them for training, but the head of the training academy where Perez taught is telling a different story.

Perez claims many of his racially, sexually and politically insensitive e-mails were simply classroom material. And what kind of classes was Perez teaching? Not only ethics, but sexual harassment and racial diversity.

The dozens and dozens of e-mails Perez sent out are many and offensive - racist and sexual - many too offensive to repeat. One compares Osama bin Laden to the President.

In his first interview with NBCMiami earlier this week, Chief Perez explained some were used for training new recruits.

Police Chief Explains His Actions
"In diversity, stereotyping,” he said, “how it can be an officer safety issue, people that are called names, the names they're gonna get called out on the street. So that's in a classroom setting and I download many of these. And BCC or Broward College has many of those on file that I use."

His boss at the police academy reacted Wednesday night. “I am surprised,” she said, but her face said she was disappointed.

Linda Wood, the dean of the Broward College Institute of Public Safety - the police academy where Perez taught - says she's never approved offensive material as curriculum.

"I had no knowledge of offensive material being taught here at Broward College," she said matter-of-factly. "But I can tell you that all of our curriculum is used from the FDLE-approved and Criminal Justice Standards and Training Certified curriculum."

So the classroom content is approved in advance?

"Yes. It's approved by the state and it's approved by us," said Dean Wood.

The Wilton Manors City Commission suspended Perez without pay for a month at a meeting Tuesday. Some citizens at the meeting said it's not enough.

"I would have rather that the chief stepped up when this started and said 'I'm sorry, I was wrong, and I accept the responsibility,' “ said Wilton Manors resident Joe Angelo. “And I think most of the residents of the city were expecting the same thing. And we're still waiting."

The Governor dropped Perez from a state commission, and Dean Wood will not be inviting him back.

"He is currently not on our schedule and we don't see that he'll be teaching here in the future," she said.

Perez has apologized and asked for a second chance. He says he was wrong to use city computers to send such e-mails, leaving unanswered whether it was wrong for a police chief to send such e-mails from any computer.

09-30-2010, 08:25 PM
Go to youtube for complete "Richard Perez" interview.

10-01-2010, 01:02 AM
Chief, action speaks louder than words. how many black cops do you have working for you?

10-01-2010, 01:02 PM
Police Chief Coughs Up Bogus Excuse for Racist EmailsBy Bob Norman, Thu., Sep. 30 2010 @ 8:45AM

Currently suspended Wilton Manors Police Chief Richard Perez has come out with an explanation for the racist emails he sent out from his city email account.

?Perez told NBC-6 that he collected the emails to use for sensitivity training during classes he taught at Broward College for police recruits.

Of course, that doesn't explain why he would send out the same trash to friends and command staff. Oh, and the dean of the school's Institute of Public Safety, Linda Wood, said that she wasn't aware of such material being used in training and that the school never authorized it.

This one is easy to call B.S. on. This guy is a disgrace to Wilton Manors and Broward County and needs to hit the bricks. It's time to start calling out the politicians in that town for keeping Perez on. I wonder: Did anyone at the city know he was going to come out with his idiotic story to try to clear his name?

10-01-2010, 02:51 PM
FROM THE MIAMI HERALD: Police chief's `jokes' break unwritten rules

By JAMES H. BURNETT III
jburnett@MiamiHerald.com

If you don't already own a bridge in Manhattan or swampland, Richard Perez apparently would like to sell you one or the other. Perez, Wilton Manors' chief of police, is in his second week of a 30-day suspension for a host of racial and sexual jokes he sent from his city computer.

Reportedly, Perez was also ordered to undergo sensitivity training, but don't expect him to return to work singing Kumbaya or having filmed a Benetton ad.

While Perez had been silent immediately following this debacle, he explained Tuesday to Miami's NBC6 -- with a straight face, mind you -- that not only was there no racist or sexist intent in the e-mails, they weren't even jokes, really. They were part of a teaching plan.

Did I mention that Perez has also taught Professional Responsibility classes about things like ethics and avoiding prejudiced behavior at Broward College's police academy? Yeah, that's the only irony I'll be sharing today.

His plan, he told the TV station, was to use these e-mails to show his officers and his students at the academy what sort of harsh language and biased attitudes to avoid.

Again, Perez explained all this with such a straight face that I'm convinced he has a future in professional poker.

Linda Wood, dean of the Institute of Public Safety, which houses the Broward Police Academy at Broward College, told me Thursday that not only are Perez's e-mails not part of any curriculum she'd seen, he won't be teaching there again anytime soon.

But you be the judge as to the classroom-worthiness of Perez's ``lesson plan.''

In one e-mail that Perez later defended as political satire, though it's void of a partisan or policy critique, the joke is that young Barack Obama's mother told the future president that his real father might be a dog . . . a canine, if you had any doubts. Then there's the e-mail audio clip from the comedy film Blazing Saddles, in which the black sheriff greets a white woman with, ``Good morning ma'am! Isn't it a lovely morning?'' and she responds, ``Up yours, n----r!''

A barrel of laughs, I tell ya.

Now, it would be easy to dismiss Perez's critics, like me, as being too thin-skinned or as attackers of the First Amendment. But I've got skin as thick as a gator's when it comes to names called in jest.

Perez's problem isn't an attack on his right to think or joke poorly of minorities and women. It's that he has demonstrated a cluelessness about the unwritten rule that police chief is one of those jobs that doesn't allow for jokes challenging the job-holder's fair-mindedness.

That cluelessness unnecessarily puts his patrol officers, who already walk a tightrope woven with rules, restraint, and often unfair accusations of bias, on the spot.

Tod Burke, former cop, criminal justice professor and interim dean of the College of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences at Radford University, says he'd give Perez some benefit of the doubt, but he also says Perez has damaged his department's credibility.

To doubters, Burke says ``Remember Rodney King,'' as in the buck stopped with the late Daryl Gates, who was Los Angeles police chief at the time King was beaten during a traffic stop, and during the subsequent riots.

``Police chiefs set the tone,'' Burke says. ``They don't have to condone a behavior, if it grows on their watch. And if they do personally show bad judgment, well, that's tough to get over.''

Expect every good Wilton Manors cop to let out a frustrated sigh for the foreseeable future when on the witness stand some defense attorney asks if he share's Perez's views on blacks or women.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/09/30/1 ... z117Q6W4Op (http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/09/30/1851430/police-chiefs-jokes-break-unwritten.html#ixzz117Q6W4Op)

10-01-2010, 03:18 PM
Darn it Chief, they are not buying it even though you put on an academy award winning performance. I hear a fat lady singing. In all seriousness Chief you are hurting the good cops that work at WMPD. Every time they pull over a black suspect they will be accused of racism. You have some fine police officers working in Wilton manors and you are hurting them. For the sake of those cops put in your resignation papers, I will be the first to buy you a beer at Reds.

PS Hollywood is calling

10-02-2010, 04:14 AM
This current police chief and the two current captains every day continue to degrade the police department and we are all sick of it. It is a shame thet the current MAYOR GARY RESNICK is not responsible enough to take control of the situation and get rid of GALLEGOS and PEREZ as it will cost him his elected position. Right now JOE ANGELO is looking really good to get elected and clean house. As your signs say you go JOE.

10-02-2010, 04:31 AM
Where's the discipline for the other two WMPD participants...oh that's right-we'll put one in charge for now.

I have only been at the WMPD for a couple of years but Sgt Bigelsens briefings are very scary. I do not want to hear my supervisor bashing gays, the president, afro americans, the city commission, women. homeless .democrats and the mayor with the backing of Chief Perez, Captains Costello and Seibert and the City Manager. I want to work to help the community but it is not possible.

10-03-2010, 01:11 AM
I hear that the PBA screeners asked some very interesting questions of the candidates running for office. Like if you were the target of two FELONY investigations by the State Attorneys Office, shouldn"t you have been suspended by the USELESS CITY MANAGER JOSEPH GALLEGOS as any road cop would have been, but the POLICE CHIEF was never put on suspension by the CITY MANAGER. That's going to come up this week in the media.

10-03-2010, 03:46 AM
Who is we? Who do you represent? While Joe may get elected his is still one vote. I hope he makes it but please one vote dude. He has to answer to folks as well.

This current police chief and the two current captains every day continue to degrade the police department and we are all sick of it. It is a shame thet the current MAYOR GARY RESNICK is not responsible enough to take control of the situation and get rid of GALLEGOS and PEREZ as it will cost him his elected position. Right now JOE ANGELO is looking really good to get elected and clean house. As your signs say you go JOE.

10-03-2010, 03:48 AM
The PBA could call a monkey and get the answer they want. PBA screeners? Are those the guys that look for gold by the river? Put down the CRACK pipe and get some air?

I hear that the PBA screeners asked some very interesting questions of the candidates running for office. Like if you were the target of two FELONY investigations by the State Attorneys Office, shouldn"t you have been suspended by the USELESS CITY MANAGER JOSEPH GALLEGOS as any road cop would have been, but the POLICE CHIEF was never put on suspension by the CITY MANAGER. That's going to come up this week in the media.

10-11-2010, 01:07 AM
I went there and saw the whole interview/speech. Perez needs a bigger wheelbarrow for that load of manure.

Go to youtube for complete "Richard Perez" interview.

10-13-2010, 03:36 AM
Darn it Chief, they are not buying it even though you put on an academy award winning performance. I hear a fat lady singing. In all seriousness Chief you are hurting the good cops that work at WMPD. Every time they pull over a black suspect they will be accused of racism. You have some fine police officers working in Wilton manors and you are hurting them. For the sake of those cops put in your resignation papers, I will be the first to buy you a beer at Reds.

PS Hollywood is calling

No.... Hallandale is Calling

10-13-2010, 05:43 AM
Oh please get over it and do your Fu!!!! job !
Patrol a little make an arrest and stay off the laptop jerk. You guys make make us look like fools.

I have only been at the WMPD for a couple of years but Sgt Bigelsens briefings are very scary. I do not want to hear my supervisor bashing gays, the president, afro americans, the city commission, women. homeless .democrats and the mayor with the backing of Chief Perez, Captains Costello and Seibert and the City Manager. I want to work to help the community but it is not possible.

10-13-2010, 08:41 AM

...you left out children...if you added that he bashed children you would have covered all possibilities. Youre full of shit.