PDA

View Full Version : Things I'll never understand

09-11-2010, 05:12 PM
If you become a probation officer to "kick azz" or take out punishment on offenders, why do you continue that behavior towards your staff when you become a supervisor? Why are we not all on the same team? Shouldn't we be? I mean, really. You go from supervising probationers to supervising officers...we are NOT the same. You don't need to hide in the bushes to catch me, ie, stroke my IT60 with every conceivable re-review item known to man...it's basically the same thing. I have worked with some of the worst supervisors who treat their staff like sh*t. Why does it have to be like that?

And why the double standard? I have to have a scheduled one-hour lunch...you take off for two hours every day. I'm told to quit socializing...you spend all day on the phone with your buds. I'm nearly hung out to dry if something gets turned in late...you just change the due dates because you can't get YOUR work done on time.

You know, I could care less if officers want to be cops or social workers, wear jeans or suits and ties, wear a badge around their neck or forget where their badge is. What I do care about is being micromanaged by supervisors and circuit staff who instead of seeking out the KNOWN officers who lie, cheat and essentially steal from the department, come down on me when I do my work, do it right and do it on time. It is so freaking backwards here...that's why officers leave. I can handle the crap pay, using my own vehicle and being stuck in the office working on endless exception reports when I really should be out in the field. What I can't handle is re-review after re-review, having you write all over my violation reports, my PSI, my ICOTS, etc, just because you want it YOUR way, when there isn't anything procedurally or legally wrong with what I just did.

If the powers that be would just focus on keeping the good staff and eliminating the bad, then this agency could really rock despite budget woes. Stop playing sandbox games because it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy to screw someone over when you should come down off your throne and thank some of us for the job we do.

09-11-2010, 06:00 PM
Unfortuanately, the facts are if you observe officers that treat offenders like crap, they will treat officers like crap when they becomes sups. They are either just bullies, ignorant/stupid, have an inferiorority complex, low self esteem or all the above. These types of people walk among us in every profession. It's just a shame that the PTB don't recognize this and prevent these simpletons from getting promoted to sups in the first place. My office has three sups. Two of them were outstanding officers that treated offenders with dignity and they treat officers the same away. The other one, screamed and yelled at offenders all the time and got pleasure out of putting them in jail or prison. This sup now treats officers like children and will stab them in the back along with the other two sups in a blink of any eye. Thankfully this sup. is not the senior sup! You know what i mean?

09-12-2010, 02:10 PM
Unfortuanately, the facts are if you observe officers that treat offenders like crap, they will treat officers like crap when they becomes sups. They are either just bullies, ignorant/stupid, have an inferiorority complex, low self esteem or all the above. These types of people walk among us in every profession. It's just a shame that the PTB don't recognize this and prevent these simpletons from getting promoted to sups in the first place. My office has three sups. Two of them were outstanding officers that treated offenders with dignity and they treat officers the same away. The other one, screamed and yelled at offenders all the time and got pleasure out of putting them in jail or prison. This sup now treats officers like children and will stab them in the back along with the other two sups in a blink of any eye. Thankfully this sup. is not the senior sup! You know what i mean?

gotta be in C20.

I can tell you the difference between officers and offenders (as told to be my a previous CA)

It's one alphanumeric! PO's have 5, offenders 6