PDA

View Full Version : Search Continues

09-02-2010, 11:44 AM
Posted: Sep 1, 2010 10:07 PM EDT
Updated: Sep 1, 2010 11:46 PM EDT

SARASOTA - It's been three months since former Sarasota police chief Peter Abbott resigned, and Tuesday ended the application process for those interested in taking over the force. Now it is up to the city manager to decide who will be the next chief of police.

"Right now with this economy and the tough time, we need somebody that is going to be vigilant," says resident Carrie Castillo.

City residents have an idea of what qualities they would like the new chief to possess. "Even though on the outside, it is portrayed as a calm and submissive kind of area; that is not always the case. There is quite a bit of crime and it needs to be taken care…needs to be dealt with," says resident Angelina Loetschert.

"Make sure they are not dirty, and make sure they are going to do the job for the City of Sarasota," says resident Dan.

The search for a new chief has been going on for more than a month. The deadline to apply for the position ended Tuesday with 144 applicants. "That's pretty much what we expected. Any kind of community such as Sarasota, which is a very desirable place to live and work, is going to attract a lot of people," says city manager Robert Bartolotta.

The job of sorting through all the candidates and choosing the right one falls solely on the shoulders of Bartolotta, and he knows what he is looking for -- a leader with experience. "Somebody that will really connect to the community and knows police work inside and out…build trust not only inside the department but in the community."

Three applicants from within the police department have applied for the position, and Bartolotta says one is a very serious contender: interim chief Mikel Holloway. "He's got 28 years of experience; he knows it...he's been doing a great job as acting chief, he's built a lot of trust in the department and has done a lot community outreach and we've been very pleased with his performance."

So how long until a new chief takes over? Bartolotta says he is not sure. He is going to review each and every one of the 144 candidates, so it could take a week to a month.

COPONE
09-02-2010, 02:18 PM
144 applicants and I'll bet NOT ONE is a TOP candidate. The word is out all over the country about what's happenig here. What top candidate, in their right mind, would want to come here and be a puppet chief for Mr. CM Bozo the clown. MH is an all right guy, but even though he maybe the communities choice, he is not right to head this department. Even tho many will say so and support him upfront.
However, might do OK I guess if he just does what Bozo ells him to do. He is in a win/win situtation anyway. He takes the job and the salary. He works at it. And if he gets too much grief from Bozo, then he can just up and retire.....Which is what he planned to do anyway.....so he walks away a winner.
I just don't see a competent outcome to this as long a Bozo is in charge.

09-03-2010, 05:14 AM
I disagree. I think there are a lot of people who are willing to let bobo stick his little hand up their butt and work them like a puppet. The pay is out of this world, the city is a nice place, and people who know none of us will gladly come here, and stick it to us every time that evil little man tells them to. Abbott had no problem sticking it to us when he arrived, resassigning specialty units to all city events, which took money out of all of our pockets, restricting free "coffee" for officers, etc.

The new chief will be the person who convinces BOBO that they are 100 % for him, and 100 % against us. Plus, he will have a deputy chief to be the scapegoat and look like the bad guy to all of us. Bottom line, as bad as it has been, its going to get a lot, lot worse. We are SCREWED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

09-03-2010, 05:15 PM
Mikel Hollaway was named the new Sarasota chief of police by the city manager today.

Hollaway, 50, the veteran Sarasota police officer tapped to be the interim chief in May, becomes the city's first African-American police chief. Hollaway will make $132,000 annually with salary and longevity bonuses.

09-11-2010, 12:52 AM
Wow,
I can’t believe what I have read in this thread. No, I am not Susan Chapman, nor do I ascribe to her alleged vendetta against SPD. But, as someone from the outside looking in, so to speak, and from someone that has managed thousands of employees over the course of the last 35 years, You people are Whiners. I honestly hope that you do not represent the majority at SPD. Because all I’m seeing is a bunch of self serving., selfish whiners: ME ME ME; what’s in for ME? And all that negativity is fueled by your “Big Bad Bobo” rap: Big Bad Bobo is taking away my pension and overtime. Big Bad Bobo is making me be accountable, and actually earn my paycheck. O my, what a disgrace. WAAAAAAA...

Apparently, and unfortunately, these posters seem, ironically, to have a problem with “authority” figures, telling them what to do. That’s comical, coming from a Law Enforcement officer; albeit sad. I hate to have to be the one to enlighten you to this fact of life, but as long as anyone has a job, they are generally told to do things, that they might not otherwise want to do. Ask anybody that HAS a job, in any business sector, if that fact is not true. I mean really, these posters act as though they should be exempt from the economic down turn, just because they are Policemen? Get real; your sense of entitlement needs to end. The Gravy Train has been parked. Get off, get over it, and move on , or get out. If your job is so terrible, then quit, and go somewhere where you will be happier, and, perhaps, a Legend in your own Lunchtime. Be thankful that you are gainfully employed, as many are not, and are facing life without income. Be thankful for what you have, as opposed to Jonesing for what you don’t.