PDA

View Full Version : Community Corrections Work Schedule

08-24-2010, 03:09 AM
I know according to the PBA agreement, that management has the right to approve our work schedules. But after your schedule is approved for example, a cc officer who is approved by their supervisor to work from 10am to 7pm becuase they worked over the weekend(or night before) managment is still requiring you to call in at 8AM to agian advise them that you will not be coming in until 10am. In other words, after getting approval to flex your work hours, you can never sleep in and always most wake up at 8am to give managment redundant information. Also this past Thurday and Friday, there were NO SUPERVISORS available (THE OFFICE SUP TOO!) at the office at 8AM, they were all late!

There seems to something fundementaly wrong about this! If I've been approved to be off duty, then I'm off duty! I should not be required to again notify managment of the work schedule they approved again the following day at 8AM every day monday thru friday!

Am I being unreasonable? or is management over steping their authority? Your feed back is appreciated!

Sincerely,
A sleep deprived cc officer in circuit 17

08-25-2010, 01:35 AM
Problem in our office resolved today after post!

08-25-2010, 12:02 PM
REALLY, AFTER THE POST!!!

08-25-2010, 11:15 PM
Yea, problem solved in our circuit too. We were all told that we cannot work over 8 hours a day! No schedules will be approved if more than those hours are on the schedule. :roll:

08-25-2010, 11:21 PM
Come on, spill the beans and tell us what office your in! I'll bet it is run by a moron, control freak or all the above. :snicker:

08-27-2010, 01:00 AM
Come on, spill the beans and tell us what office your in! I'll bet it is run by a moron, control freak or all the above. :snicker:

Yes and yes! :shock:

09-01-2010, 02:25 AM
The sword cuts both ways. As a supervisor, who is present in my office monday-friday 8-5, all I ask is that I know where you are during business hours. I have had officers work at night and on the weekends- not doing field work but office work, because they have less distractions. For those officers who took this job understanding that it is a full-time job and not a hobby, they are stuck along with me resolving issues with offenders, victims, leos, asa, courts, etc. during office hours for those absent officers. Most of my officers understand this and let me know when they are going to flex out and I write it on my desk calendar, pretty simple and effective. But I have a few who don't and when I call them on it, they act as though I have accused them of stealing from the cookie jar. As an officer, I had great supervisors and horrible supervisors, but I didn't let my opinion of my sup determine what kind of officer I was. I don't expect everyone to love each other, but I do expect everyone, including myself, to be respectful. This is what this post is about- respect. Understand that as a supervisor, whether you like us or not, we are still responsible for you and maybe the ones who clamp down too much are just jerks and control freaks or maybe they have history with officers trying to take advantage.

09-01-2010, 12:19 PM
As an officer you are...AN HOURLY EMPLOYEE...(period) You are required to work 40 hours each week for your warrant (pay check). You are required to docment sick,annual or administrative time if you do not work 40 but still want a pay full pay check. Time worked is not like a 'PENNEY JAR' at the convience store. TODAY I TAKE BECAUSE NEXT WEEK I GIVE! When I started it was absolutely the exception that an officer would deviate from work for personal activities yet today personal exceptions are the priority. Whether it was fear of the PBA or simply the emergence of ill prepared leadership from Tallahassee to the local office CONTROL and legitimacy of hours worked is a farce. So if you are Secretary McNeil and you want to provide leadership what do you do? You bring in your main squeeze from the Tallahassee Police Department to run the HUMAN RESOURCE department.

09-02-2010, 03:02 AM
The last two posts appear to be submitted by supervisors. As usual it appears that management doesn't get it! The original post talked about management requiring officers to again remind management when management approved them to come into the office. So if like that one supervisor wrote that they have their unit members write on their calendar when they are coming into the office, it would be the equivalent of them requiring their subordinate to call in again to remind them that they wrote the time they are coming in at on their calendar. But the last two posts apparently did not comprehend what the original post was about. Nothing was disputed that an officer has to work 40 hours a week and management is accountable for our work schedules. Management is required to approve our work schedules in advance! I would love to work for the sup that lets their unit members simply write the time they are coming in at on their calendar! It would be a lot less stressful than all the hoops my office has us jump threw to approve our work schedules. And simply writing on a supervisor's calendar pad to let them know when you are coming in constitutes management approving your work schedule? Yes we work for dummies! :roll:

09-02-2010, 10:40 PM
The sword cuts both ways. As a supervisor, who is present in my office monday-friday 8-5, all I ask is that I know where you are during business hours. I have had officers work at night and on the weekends- not doing field work but office work, because they have less distractions. For those officers who took this job understanding that it is a full-time job and not a hobby, they are stuck along with me resolving issues with offenders, victims, leos, asa, courts, etc. during office hours for those absent officers. Most of my officers understand this and let me know when they are going to flex out and I write it on my desk calendar, pretty simple and effective. But I have a few who don't and when I call them on it, they act as though I have accused them of stealing from the cookie jar. As an officer, I had great supervisors and horrible supervisors, but I didn't let my opinion of my sup determine what kind of officer I was. I don't expect everyone to love each other, but I do expect everyone, including myself, to be respectful. This is what this post is about- respect. Understand that as a supervisor, whether you like us or not, we are still responsible for you and maybe the ones who clamp down too much are just jerks and control freaks or maybe they have history with officers trying to take advantage.

Yeah but with no case reviews (remember them) You should have plenty of time to commune with our stake holders.

09-02-2010, 11:23 PM
Yeah but with no case reviews (remember them) You should have plenty of time to commune with our stake holders.

I think you hit on something that defined the downfall of professional management at DC. NO CASE REVIEWS. I can remember when the sup did them and this monthly routine was a supervisory training ground. Sups interacting with their employees and learning to motivate their employees. Some of the new sups I have seen have absolutely no leadership skills and will never have them unless the employer professional trains. The only skills they have were learned from having 5 to 6 kids. Yes, with no case reviews the sups became...simply employees with a new title.

09-03-2010, 02:16 AM
As an officer you are...AN HOURLY EMPLOYEE...(period) You are required to work 40 hours each week for your warrant (pay check). You are required to docment sick,annual or administrative time if you do not work 40 but still want a pay full pay check. Time worked is not like a 'PENNEY JAR' at the convience store. TODAY I TAKE BECAUSE NEXT WEEK I GIVE! When I started it was absolutely the exception that an officer would deviate from work for personal activities yet today personal exceptions are the priority. Whether it was fear of the PBA or simply the emergence of ill prepared leadership from Tallahassee to the local office CONTROL and legitimacy of hours worked is a farce. So if you are Secretary McNeil and you want to provide leadership what do you do? You bring in your main squeeze from the Tallahassee Police Department to run the HUMAN RESOURCE department.

So are supervisors! Why are you submitting posts during office hours?

Also "docment" is spelled "document" and "convience" is spelled "convenience"! A Sup who reads and approves our work?

09-03-2010, 03:40 AM
Hey Jay, you might want to re-read my post. I didn't say that my officers come in and write their schedule down on my desk calendar and that constitutes an approval- what I said was that they tell me when they are going to be out and I write it down-this means their request to be out has been approved. If I have a question, then I ask it right then and there. Once it is written down, there is no need for them to call me. I agree with the original post that it doesn't make sense to call your supervisor to remind them that you are out on approved leave of some sort. As for supervisors having nothing to do, well I have plenty to do. You may be one of those officers who happens to have a bad or lazy supervisor, or maybe not. Just like I'm sure you can look around your office tomorrow morning, that is unless you're flexing :), and pick out officers who work really hard, you can also pick out the officers who never seem to work and just suck. Just a little inside information for all you guys out there, those supervisors in every office, well they weren't recruited from outside the agency. Believe it or not, they were once officers like you. Some were promoted under the old way- it was who you knew, some were the only one to apply and some were promoted under the new guidelines, which rely more on points to eliminate any bias. I encourage anyone who doesn't like the way things are to apply for the next promotional opportunity and make a positive impact. Unfortunately for all of us, that opportunity may not be for awhile. :(

09-03-2010, 11:18 AM
Also "docment" is spelled "document" and "convience" is spelled "convenience"! A Sup who reads and approves our work?

Do you realize that when you bring up missed spelling of one or two words you just show yourself to be a MORON! Most people with your personallity traits really prove themselves not to be capable of dealing with other people. Other people...your own family, your neighbors, your fellow employees and your offenders really HATE YOU!.......REALLY THEY DO!

09-05-2010, 10:57 AM

Do you realize that when you bring up missed spelling of one or two words you just show yourself to be a MORON! Most people with your personallity traits really prove themselves not to be capable of dealing with other people. Other people...your own family, your neighbors, your fellow employees and your offenders really HATE YOU!.......REALLY THEY DO!

Psycho! :devil:

Now lets get to work!

09-18-2010, 11:25 AM

Sounds like someone hit the nerve of management! :cry: