PDA

View Full Version : FHP OT Question

08-02-2010, 01:19 AM
Okay I haven't seen many definitive responses throughout the numerous pages of search results so I'll ask this:

I'm planning on becoming part of FHP as a State Trooper and I'm aware of the 33K deal ..which is sufficient for a single individual, but certainly not adequate for easy breathing, so my question is..how many opportunities are there, realistically, these days for OT or other opportunities for off-duty compensation in the state of Florida? I really want to be part of FHP but if the pay is a few thousand from sufficient then that could change my decision. I request only realistic responses..even speculation, but I do request that responses are kept to a minimum if you plan on responding with "its not about the money!" or "choose a different agency!" Thanks in advance folks. Also..feel free to incorporate some mathematics into your response. :)

08-02-2010, 02:00 AM
For most parts of the state, off-duty police employment (ODPE) is plentiful. Currently, you are allowed to work 8 hours of OT whenever you want. It's called "SOAR". The amount of SOAR you are allowed to work fluctuates throughout the year depending on the budget. If you work just a little OT or ODPE, you should easily make between 50 and 60 per year. You can make a lot more if you want. I know several troopers who usually make 70 - 80.

As far as the base pay, there are other things to consider:
You go on-duty from your house. That means you don't waste an hour or two of your day driving to your job.
You have a take home car. You don't have to pay for gas to drive back and forth from your job.
For the most part, you are left alone to do your job. Most don't see their sergeants more than once or twice a week, if even then.
Don't expect to see any raises anytime soon. You will likely have to promote to get one. You can promote to Corporal after two years and get a 10% raise. You can go to Sergeant after five years and get a 15% raise.

Overall it's a very good job. There are issues just like everywhere else, but overall it's a good place to work.

Good luck and be patient. It takes a while to get hired.

08-02-2010, 06:28 AM
Thanks for the info! Also..for the areas that need Troopers but don't offer much OT, is it still realistic to say that 50-60K a year is fairly easy to attain?

08-03-2010, 03:28 AM
Mr. T,

I had a whole thread (recent) dedicated to OT and probation. check it out.

http://forums.leoaffairs.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=101453

08-06-2010, 06:01 AM
Yeah I've read that thread before. Just trying to get more detailed information and I doubt a recruiter will give me realistic information.

08-11-2010, 12:12 AM
come to DADE plenty of OT