PDA

View Full Version : Solution to Side Jobs

08-01-2010, 12:13 AM
I work about 3 side jobs a month... that is 36 a year. Instead of telling me to focus more on my main job and family, how about this.

Get the Sheriff to lobby as hard for a raise as he did to get elected. I realize that fighting for a raise means working hard for somebody else's benefit instead of his own, and that may be a foreign concept to him, but he could at least try.

A 5% raise is about $1,800. That is about 10 side jobs. That would cut a third of the days I have to be away from my family and still bring in the same amount, not to mention that would count towards my retirement, whereas sig-15 money does not.

Come on sheriff... try fighting for your people for once instead of selling us out for political points.

08-01-2010, 02:58 AM
That is total crap, all that would mean is that you would make $1,800 more plus your side jobs.

08-01-2010, 03:04 AM
The Sheriff asked for a raise and I would expect that he will continue to ask for raises for all of us. The question is will the county commissioners approve it or not. You can only blame the sheriff for not giving us a raise if he doesn't ask for one like McNugget did to us.

08-01-2010, 03:30 AM
I'm tired of putting this on here and watching it go through one ear and out the other, but here it is again. Add up all those contract people he said he didn't need plus the Craigs, Greens, Aikens and all the others and you'll have your raise. How is he going to justify these people he told every one he didn't need? He and his Key supporters are nothing but liars. Through the PBA contract, he has to ask for a yearly raise. Don't let him make you believe he's doing it out of the kindness of his heart.

08-01-2010, 05:48 AM
It is one thing to ASK for a raise... that is simply going through the motions. It is quite another to FIGHT for a raise. How about the Sheriff go in there armed with some facts about the situation.. like how much of a raise teachers get, or how we have been doing the same job with less resources year after year and sooner or later something has to give.

Asking for a raise is easy. Fighting for what is right takes courage... something I havent seen from the Sheriff yet. And no, walking the streets of mayfair like he did after the election doesnt count as courage (although you dont even see that anymore).

08-01-2010, 12:22 PM
The Sheriff asked for a raise and I would expect that he will continue to ask for raises for all of us. The question is will the county commissioners approve it or not. You can only blame the sheriff for not giving us a raise if he doesn't ask for one like McNugget did to us. then how many times did he make that promise that you would get your raises and remember he was going to bring your education up to his standards , he is going to have to answer the voters for ALL his lies.

08-01-2010, 04:46 PM
A fight is much different that a request. Exhasted Deputy, I like your topic. PBA, how about some representation on this issue?

08-02-2010, 02:59 AM
I'm tired of putting this on here and watching it go through one ear and out the other, but here it is again. Add up all those contract people he said he didn't need plus the Craigs, Greens, Aikens and all the others and you'll have your raise.

Even with these people the sheriff is still saving somewhere in the relm of 150,000 in personnel versus McNugget. That is a combined total between both Patrol and Detention. Maybe we could just get rid of some of the whiners on this board and we could get a nice raise. :devil:

08-02-2010, 03:57 AM
[quote="Here's your raise":21mbf22l]I'm tired of putting this on here and watching it go through one ear and out the other, but here it is again. Add up all those contract people he said he didn't need plus the Craigs, Greens, Aikens and all the others and you'll have your raise.

Even with these people the sheriff is still saving somewhere in the relm of 150,000 in personnel versus McNugget. That is a combined total between both Patrol and Detention. Maybe we could just get rid of some of the whiners on this board and we could get a nice raise. :devil:[/quote:21mbf22l]

A $150,000 is the equivalent to the salary/benefits of 4 new hires. Not much to brag about. Get rid of the contract employees and save another half million dollars.

08-02-2010, 03:14 PM
If we elect John Powell in 2012 we will not have to worry about contract employees. He will fight for raises for his people.

08-02-2010, 03:26 PM
There have been contract employees for the longest time. JP or any other sheriff will have their own contract employees. Then a different group of whiners can put their two cents in.

There will never be a sheriff that will fix every problem at the S/O. To say that JP will come in and fix everything is nothing but a bunch of election bull.

08-02-2010, 09:02 PM
There have been contract employees for the longest time. JP or any other sheriff will have their own contract employees. Then a different group of whiners can put their two cents in.

There will never be a sheriff that will fix every problem at the S/O. To say that JP will come in and fix everything is nothing but a bunch of election bull.
there have never been the monies spent on contract people in any administration as in this one and the sad part is none of them do the work to deserve that kind of pay , going all the way back to sheriff DAVIS.

08-02-2010, 10:09 PM
Sounds like alot of talk.....how about a side-by-side comparison of McNugget contract people and Morgan contract people. Since everyone claims there are so much more it should be easy to list.

08-03-2010, 02:11 AM
I'd love to start that one off...

MORGAN

David Craig
Melissa Aiken
Sena Madison
Dennis Green

Then we have all the personnel changes that have been unnecessary and cost additional money:

Morgan moves Barnes and Tappan out of homeland security because he says we dont need them in there, then puts Hobbs in the same place and leaves him there as a sergeant... makes no sense.

Everybody in IA is now a sergeant? Practically all of the accreditation people too?

Then we have the Commanders... Aiken, Haines, Wertz, Jackson, ****ey. I'm sure I am missing a few.

I will leave the McNesby list up to somebody else to complete and compare.

08-03-2010, 02:22 AM
I'd love to start that one off...

MORGAN

David Craig
Melissa Aiken
Sena Madison
Dennis Green

Then we have all the personnel changes that have been unnecessary and cost additional money:

Morgan moves Barnes and Tappan out of homeland security because he says we dont need them in there, then puts Hobbs in the same place and leaves him there as a sergeant... makes no sense.

Everybody in IA is now a sergeant? Practically all of the accreditation people too?

Then we have the Commanders... Aiken, Haines, Wertz, Jackson, ****ey. I'm sure I am missing a few.

I will leave the McNesby list up to somebody else to complete and compare. Davey 2 you need to learn to count i think there are a few you must have just over looked or else you think we are stupid , oh i forgot you are testing your lying skills again.

08-03-2010, 06:39 PM

You put words in my mouth. If you look at what I said you will see I said contract employees. I agree no one can fix every problem, but your thoughts of a problem may not be a problem to me.

08-03-2010, 08:08 PM
The first step to the side job problem is to get rid of that worthless POS MD from Extra Duty. She should be fired. No other side job coordinator has f-ed things up this bad... The past three that I've known have been great compared to her. I do not understand, every person I talk to hates her, but nothing is done about it. She needs to be instructed that she is a civilian, and she does not question nor enforce policy violations.

Get rid of MD and start over. Then DS get 120 hrs per month, Sgt's get 60 hrs, and Lt's get 40 hrs. Start with the most senior and give everyone ONE side job, then start over with TWO and give them all away. All non-permeneant side jobs get paged out everytime.

Not everyone will be happy with the ED coordinator, but this one is the worst one EVER.

08-03-2010, 09:41 PM
She needs to be instructed that she is a civilian, and she does not question nor enforce policy violations.

Maybe if you weren't violating policy she would have a reason to try and enforce the rules. Also, if you didn't violate the rules maybe you would get more side jobs. Just a thought. :devil:

08-03-2010, 09:46 PM
The first step to the side job problem is to get rid of that worthless POS MD from Extra Duty. She should be fired. No other side job coordinator has f-ed things up this bad... The past three that I've known have been great compared to her. I do not understand, every person I talk to hates her, but nothing is done about it. She needs to be instructed that she is a civilian, and she does not question nor enforce policy violations.

Get rid of MD and start over. Then DS get 120 hrs per month, Sgt's get 60 hrs, and Lt's get 40 hrs. Start with the most senior and give everyone ONE side job, then start over with TWO and give them all away. All non-permeneant side jobs get paged out everytime.

Not everyone will be happy with the ED coordinator, but this one is the worst one EVER.

Try again! Why should a Deputy, Sgt., or Lt. give up side jobs they fought years to obtain? They worked thru the same struggles you are now complaining of. It must be the instant gratification generation. Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie cause its owed to me! Really?

08-03-2010, 11:54 PM
I think the point made earlier about contract person is only partially correct. I do think there may be a couple that do earn their money. The point I would like to make is that there are plenty of classified people both sworn and non-sworn that are like barnacles on a ship. For all you non-nautical types-

definition: Barnacles are crustaceans that have jointed legs and shells of connected overlapping plates. Instead of crawling after food, they glue themselves to rocks, ships, pillings, abalones, and maybe even whales and wait for food to wash by.

Sound familiar? Next time you walk the halls see how many barnacles that we have that have glued themselves to this organization and offer nothing in return but to drain our budget. At least with contract people there is the illusion that they can be terminated at anytime. With the barnacles we don’t even have that. Now I have to get back to my Sponge Bob Square Pants episode. Hey didn’t Chavers remind you of Patrick?

08-04-2010, 01:38 PM
She needs to be instructed that she is a civilian, and she does not question nor enforce policy violations.

Maybe if you weren't violating policy she would have a reason to try and enforce the rules. Also, if you didn't violate the rules maybe you would get more side jobs. Just a thought. :devil:

What I or anyone else does at the office ON or OFF duty falls under the category of "NONE OF HER BUSINESS"... Even if that pertains to Extra Duty. She is a "COORDINATOR" and a piss poor one at that.

And in reference to the "Fought years to obtain" comment... What gigs are you talking about??? Most have only been around a few years... i.e. Navy Fed, Rave, etc...