PDA

View Full Version : Chief Doug Baker comes to the aid of his officers

07-30-2010, 11:45 AM
http://www.news-press.com/article/20100730/CRIME/7300376/1075/Fort-Myers-chief-wants-suspect-remanded

Fort Myers Police Chief Doug Baker appealed to a county judge this week to revoke bond for a man accused of threatening an officer's life during a traffic stop.

Memos from Chief Doug Baker to both his staff and Judge Tara Paluck, as well as Officer Mitchell’s memo to the chief and Robert Caldwell’s arrest report (WARNING: Explicit language)

In a letter to Judge Tara Paluck, Baker outlined the July 18 incident when felon Robert Caldwell told Officer Walter Mitchell, "You can catch a bullet, too ... if you keep coming to Harlem Lakes (expletive) with people, you gonna catch a bullet."

It was the second time in a week Mitchell was threatened during patrol. Baker is concerned because Paluck granted Caldwell a $50,000 bond on that charge - despite his criminal history, the seriousness of the charge and the recommendation of Assistant State Attorney Ryan Doyle to revoke bond. Paluck also ordered Caldwell held on $15,000 bond on charges of fraud and larceny.

"I have great concern for my officers, as they may come in contact with him in the future and fear for my officers' safety and other officers in Southwest Florida," Baker wrote to Paluck. "Although $65,000 is above the norm, individuals who continue to prey on society, citizens and police officers should be remanded, and I support the no bond requested by Assistant State Attorney Doyle."

Samantha Syoen, spokeswoman for the state attorney's office, said since the judge's initial decision, prosecutors have filed a motion for pretrial detention, which if approved by the judge would hold Caldwell in custody until his trial. A hearing on that matter is set for today.

Ken Kellum, court operations director for the 20th Judicial Circuit, said Paluck can't comment about her reasoning because it's a pending case. But he said the state attorney's office has the right to request a different bond.

Caldwell, who was released from prison in January after serving one year for cocaine possession and being an accessory after the fact, remained in custody at Lee County Jail as of Thursday night on charges of larceny, fraud and threatening a public servant.

According to Mitchell, the first incident during which he was threatened happened July 16, when he stopped a vehicle for a tag violation.

The driver and passenger were argumentative, and Mitchell realized he had previously arrested passenger Barry Donnell White, 29, "aka B-Boy," on drug charges. As Mitchell was writing the driver a citation, White reportedly shouted, "I can't stand you, that's alright. I got four things planned for you; your people told me they waiting on you to mess up anyway."

White was not arrested then, but was taken in a week later for violating his probation, and was in jail Thursday evening.

Two days later, Mitchell stopped Caldwell, 32, for failing to use a turn signal. When everything else checked out, Mitchell gave Caldwell a verbal warning.

Caldwell reportedly became belligerent, saying essentially because Mitchell is black - like many residents in Harlem Lakes - he should not be arresting people there on drug charges.

"I then stated to Caldwell that my major concern was that of people shooting each other in the neighborhood and that it usually stems from drug deals," Mitchell wrote. "Caldwell stated, 'You can catch a bullet, too, you know. ... You heard me, you can catch a bullet, too, if you keep coming out to Harlem Lakes (expletive) with people, you gonna catch a bullet. You want to be a (expletive), but you want to arrest people, and if you keep it up, you gonna catch a bullet."

07-30-2010, 02:14 PM
You cry babies always complain about the Chief failure to stand up for patrol, but look at the courage he shows in the Newspress. How often do you see Sheriff Mike Scott going to bat for his deputies. The Chiefs courage alone should stop you from crying about your loss of benifits. The whole country is tightning their belts and it make no sense that we should be excluded. We should be thankful that we have not seen any layoffs like other LEO agencies throughout the nation. I think Chief Baker should seriously consider running for Sheriff in Lee County. Chief Baker has elevated FMPD into the 21st century with accreditation and acountability to its citizens. Think about what he could do for a bigger agency!

07-30-2010, 03:04 PM
You cry babies always complain about the Chief failure to stand up for patrol, but look at the courage he shows in the Newspress. How often do you see Sheriff Mike Scott going to bat for his deputies. The Chiefs courage alone should stop you from crying about your loss of benifits. The whole country is tightning their belts and it make no sense that we should be excluded. We should be thankful that we have not seen any layoffs like other LEO agencies throughout the nation. I think Chief Baker should seriously consider running for Sheriff in Lee County. Chief Baker has elevated FMPD into the 21st century with accreditation and acountability to its citizens. Think about what he could do for a bigger agency!

I agree! I came to the agency 15 years ago with no LE experience. I worked had, stayed out of trouble, and now I'm in management. It really disturbs me when cry babies like 40cal come on this site and complain about pay and promotions. If you want higher pay, go to the private sector or to fedreal law enforcement. If you want to get promoted, stop making BS arrest and study for the test! Deuces!

07-30-2010, 04:20 PM
Courage, you've got to be kidding me! Where was the courage when it came time to confront City Hall over our benifits? Where was the courage when officers got in a jam and DB hung them out to dry in the media without due process!

Its time for a mandatory department urinalysis because whoever posted the first two articles must be high! Having said that, we know thats possible because one of the $gt's popped! :evil:

07-30-2010, 04:55 PM

WOW.....I am one of the cry babies, I just want to say the chief's letter is something that should be more than a random occurance. Maybe and this may be the cry baby in me, but do you think just maybe the chief was compelled to answer the issue that was brought before him by Walt? I mean another dead Fort Myers cop and the chief not addressing a serious issue like this, that would be hard to explain, but then again I am a cry baby, because I want to be paid and treated fairly. I would LOVE to see who posted this initial thread and also LOVE to see who posted the next two responses!!! OK the chief is awesome now, now that he actually did something to help the officers here for a change. Yeahhhh Dougie!!!!

07-31-2010, 02:18 AM
Why didn't Dougie's come to Cella's aid?? Betcha Dougie will come to the $gt's aid that popped! Just like he came to the former $gt' aid that got anger management issue. The $gt beat up a Haitian now the Dougie terminated one. If the earthquake wasn't bad enough! If you are not in the circle your out of luck! I hear all this talk about PBA and FOP but the damage is done. The Dougie has all the former/rehabilatated Dubar drug dealers eating out of his hand at the expense of patrol!

07-31-2010, 05:07 AM
Yes, he wrote a letter and then sent out a press release about it. Yeah, Number One is really stepping up for his guys. Is that now the smoking gun of evidence that Number One cares about his Officers... a letter? Please. This shows nothing. If anything it shows his ploy for political gain by sending out a press release.

Now we have a Kool-Aid echo chamber infiltrating our board and suggesting he runs for Sheriff. Just what Number One needs is for his ego to be fluffed and pampered even more than it already is. Which is what he wants. You notice how all his supervisors are appropriately neutered men afraid to stand up to him when he insults his Officers? Or they quickly distance themselves from them their Officers the moment anything goes wrong. It's not a surprise that you promoted people that were scared on the road, because you wanted people that were scared of you once you promoted them. You can't hear anyone disagree with you, oh no, you just want people that will blindly follow whatever hypocritical and political orders you give them.

08-02-2010, 12:21 AM
Your chief makes the last one look like a rock star. He did this for political gain so he can run for sheriff. Oh yeah believe it....mabyee car two will be brother james.....

I really feel bad for the real cops that are stuck at FMPD because no place is hiring.

Drink your Kool-Aid or go no where....yeah real nice.

vic needs hair gel rookies.....