PDA

View Full Version : Probation and Employment Questions

07-22-2010, 06:15 PM
I am a recent FHP applicant, and despite the pay, plan to pursue it because a) I think I will enjoy it and b) at the very least will be paid during certification, as I dont want to self-sponsor through a local academy.

I have a few general questions....

1. I've heard troopers cannot work any OT until they are off probation? So when does the probation clock start and end, and how long is it? Is probation a year from when you start academy? A year from when you finish Field Training? Someone, please explain.

2. Is there commitment guarantee of a certain time period, whereby, once hired you agree to stay for a certain period of time or there is a penalty of some sort?

3. What is realistic pay with OT? Is 50 - 60K realistically achievable?

4. How hard is to get a first assignment in N. Florida; say, Troops B, H or G?

Thank you for the help.

07-22-2010, 06:30 PM
I am a recent FHP applicant, and despite the pay, plan to pursue it because a) I think I will enjoy it and b) at the very least will be paid during certification, as I dont want to self-sponsor through a local academy.

1. I've heard troopers cannot work any OT until they are off probation? So when does the probation clock start and end, and how long is it? Is probation a year from when you start academy? A year from when you finish Field Training? Someone, please explain.

2. Is there commitment guarantee of a certain time period, whereby, once hired you agree to stay for a certain period of time or there is a penalty of some sort?

Thank you for the help.

Why don't you just call the local FHP recruiter and ask him these questions? No common sense at all...we don't need any more of you.

07-22-2010, 06:48 PM

Thank you for the help.

Why don't you just call the local FHP recruiter and ask him these questions? No common sense at all...we don't need any more of you.

Common sense, seriously? Of course I know I can call a recruiter ...but I thought I would put it out to the message board to get more than one and a varied level of responses.

If anyone else would be willing to help and answer my original questions, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

07-22-2010, 07:08 PM

Thank you for the help.

Common sense, seriously? Of course I know I can call a recruiter ...but I thought I would put it out to the message board to get more than one and a varied level of responses.

If anyone else would be willing to help and answer my original questions, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

These are all questions a recruiter can answer. Wouldn't you rather get this information from an official source as opposed to someone on here that you don't even know is a trooper or not??

07-22-2010, 07:20 PM
Check the policy manual on the FHP site for the off duty question. If I remember correctly probation was 12 months of road time. As for North Florida duty assignments, I doubt it. Plan on Orlando, Tampa or Miami. 50-60k pay with off duty yes, without maybe as a topped out Lt. or Capt. As far as contacting a recruiter, only if you want to be mislead. Mine told me there was a step plan, he just didn't tell me it wasn't funded. Good Luck

07-22-2010, 07:35 PM

Thank you for the help.

These are all questions a recruiter can answer. Wouldn't you rather get this information from an official source as opposed to someone on here that you don't even know is a trooper or not??

You are right and I planned to get them "officially" answered as I worked through the process. However, since I'm basically putting the cart before the horse, and am just curious, I thought I'd pitch the questions informally on here. I'm sorry for causing so much heartache.

07-22-2010, 07:36 PM
Check the policy manual on the FHP site for the off duty question. If I remember correctly probation was 12 months of road time. As for North Florida duty assignments, I doubt it. Plan on Orlando, Tampa or Miami. 50-60k pay with off duty yes, without maybe as a topped out Lt. or Capt. As far as contacting a recruiter, only if you want to be mislead. Mine told me there was a step plan, he just didn't tell me it wasn't funded. Good Luck

Thank you!!

07-22-2010, 08:29 PM
When you get off FTO, and you are approved for it, you can begin to work any Off Duty Police Employment that involves traffic control or hireback details. You can also work up to 8 hours of SOAR overtime each week. You'll be able to work all other types of ODPE after you successfully complete your probation. If you are assigned to a CAD county, you should be able to break 50,000 easily with SOAR and a limited amount of off duty.

07-22-2010, 08:38 PM
Get hired 1st! Then worry about it!

07-22-2010, 08:39 PM
When you get off FTO, and you are approved for it, you can begin to work any Off Duty Police Employment that involves traffic control or hireback details. You can also work up to 8 hours of SOAR overtime each week. You'll be able to work all other types of ODPE after you successfully complete your probation. If you are assigned to a CAD county, you should be able to break 50,000 easily with SOAR and a limited amount of off duty.

Thanks for the answers.

What is a CAD county or CAD pay?

Is there a certain timeframe put on prbation, or a supervisor just decides at some point that you are good to go?

Thanks again.

07-22-2010, 08:40 PM
Good luck getting hired right now. There are so many people applying right and so few spots open that your chances of getting hired are slim to none. I would suggest you put yourself through the academy and save yourself the wasted time of going through the process with FHP. I was in the process for 6 months only to get to the polygraph test. I passed the test but got a letter in the mail telling me I needed to reapply in a year because they are wanting to pursue more qualified people. Take the advice if you want to or don't doesn't bother me either way.

07-22-2010, 08:41 PM
Get hired 1st! Then worry about it!

I'm working on it!

07-22-2010, 08:44 PM
Good luck getting hired right now. There are so many people applying right and so few spots open that your chances of getting hired are slim to none. I would suggest you put yourself through the academy and save yourself the wasted time of going through the process with FHP. I was in the process for 6 months only to get to the polygraph test. I passed the test but got a letter in the mail telling me I needed to reapply in a year because they are wanting to pursue more qualified people. Take the advice if you want to or don't doesn't bother me either way.

I appreciate the insight, and I am pursuing the local academy simultaneously so that I will have some option available to me. I do have a masters degree combined with a clean background, so I am hoping that will help as well.

07-22-2010, 09:00 PM

I appreciate the insight, and I am pursuing the local academy simultaneously so that I will have some option available to me. I do have a masters degree combined with a clean background, so I am hoping that will help as well.

The masters degree would be a big help, I do not have a degree but I do have a clean backround. I am also go to put myself through a academy, I can't wait on FHP for another year plus the time it would take to go through the process again. Which is a bummer because I really wanted the title of trooper. The LT who gave me my poly told me about three years ago they couldn't get anyone to apply with FHP, now they have more than they know what to do with. I wish you luck.

07-22-2010, 09:06 PM

The masters degree would be a big help, I do not have a degree but I do have a clean backround. I am also go to put myself through a academy, I can't wait on FHP for another year plus the time it would take to go through the process again. Which is a bummer because I really wanted the title of trooper. The LT who gave me my poly told me about three years ago they couldn't get anyone to apply with FHP, now they have more than they know what to do with. I wish you luck.

Thanks. Good luck to you too!

07-22-2010, 10:05 PM

Thanks for the answers.

Is there a certain timeframe put on prbation, or a supervisor just decides at some point that you are good to go?

Thanks again.

Probation usually ends 1 year from your academy graduation date. Your field training should be 10-14 weeks. There are 6 counties that have been designated as CAD counties in which you get paid more because of the higher cost of living: Palm Beach, Broward, Dade, Monroe, Collier, and Lee. The beginning pay should be listed on the FHP website, both for CAD and non-CAD counties.

07-22-2010, 10:20 PM
[quote="SWFL Trooper":14hc2r7a]When you get off FTO, and you are approved for it, you can begin to work any Off Duty Police Employment that involves traffic control or hireback details. You can also work up to 8 hours of SOAR overtime each week. You'll be able to work all other types of ODPE after you successfully complete your probation. If you are assigned to a CAD county, you should be able to break 50,000 easily with SOAR and a limited amount of off duty.

Thanks for the answers.

Thanks again.

Probation usually ends 1 year from your academy graduation date. Your field training should be 10-14 weeks. There are 6 counties that have been designated as CAD counties in which you get paid more because of the higher cost of living: Palm Beach, Broward, Dade, Monroe, Collier, and Lee. The beginning pay should be listed on the FHP website, both for CAD and non-CAD counties.[/quote:14hc2r7a]

Thanks. I assumed those 6 counties with elevated pay were the CAD counties, but I wasnt for sure.

07-23-2010, 02:22 AM
It's so hard to get a simple answer out of some people. Are you sure you want to work here?? Just kidding....

Here's the simple answers:
- Probation is over 1 year from graduation.
- You can earn overtime right away, even in FTO, but it's not likely. You'll have to off-set it.
- Once off FTO, you can work SOAR (an overtime program that lets you work whenever you want for X number of hours) Right now we are allocated 8 hours per week.
- Once off FTO, you can also work Off-Duty Police Employment (ODPE) that is traffic-related. You are prohibited from working security-related details. Most details are traffic-related anyway. You can work up to 72 hours (total) per week. Typically you work your 40 hours and can work an additional 32 hours of ODPE. You can even take leave time and work 72 hours of ODPE if you want.
- If you work any SOAR or ODPE, you'll easily make $50-60 per year. If you like making easy money you'll do a lot better than that. Just don't let you home life suffer. It's easy to sit on the side of the road all night and watch movies.
- One of the latest classes just put some rookies in the N. Florida area. That's highly unlikely so I doubt that will happen again anytime soon. You can count on Orlando and south for your first assignment. You can request a transfer after one year in your current duty assignment.
- There is a two year commitment if you go throught he full academy. If you quit before your two years up, you are supposed to be required to pay. I don't know if this is actually enforced.
- I'm not sure if the degree will do much for you. I have a Bachelor's and it doesn't seem to do anything other than earn me a measly $80 in CJIP money each month.
- If you want a raise, you have to promote. Simply pass a test and you promote. Not hard at all. You can promote all the way up to Captain just by passing a test. You can be a Captain in 9 years. Captain currently pays $72K. That's what most troopers make just working ODPE. Of course Captains only have to work their 40 hours. ODPE for them is slim to none because our policy requires the ODPE to be something that is related to their rank. I think they can work a few hours of SOAR at a flat rate ($45 per hour??).

Good luck to you. I love the FHP but the legislature doesn't. The current system forces people to promote just to get a raise so we end up with a lot of "supervisors" instead of "leaders". And I'm starting to rant so I'll end this....

07-23-2010, 10:02 AM
It's so hard to get a simple answer out of some people. Are you sure you want to work here?? Just kidding....

Here's the simple answers:
- Probation is over 1 year from graduation.
- You can earn overtime right away, even in FTO, but it's not likely. You'll have to off-set it.
- Once off FTO, you can work SOAR (an overtime program that lets you work whenever you want for X number of hours) Right now we are allocated 8 hours per week.
- Once off FTO, you can also work Off-Duty Police Employment (ODPE) that is traffic-related. You are prohibited from working security-related details. Most details are traffic-related anyway. You can work up to 72 hours (total) per week. Typically you work your 40 hours and can work an additional 32 hours of ODPE. You can even take leave time and work 72 hours of ODPE if you want.
- If you work any SOAR or ODPE, you'll easily make $50-60 per year. If you like making easy money you'll do a lot better than that. Just don't let you home life suffer. It's easy to sit on the side of the road all night and watch movies.
- One of the latest classes just put some rookies in the N. Florida area. That's highly unlikely so I doubt that will happen again anytime soon. You can count on Orlando and south for your first assignment. You can request a transfer after one year in your current duty assignment.
- There is a two year commitment if you go throught he full academy. If you quit before your two years up, you are supposed to be required to pay. I don't know if this is actually enforced.
- I'm not sure if the degree will do much for you. I have a Bachelor's and it doesn't seem to do anything other than earn me a measly $80 in CJIP money each month.
- If you want a raise, you have to promote. Simply pass a test and you promote. Not hard at all. You can promote all the way up to Captain just by passing a test. You can be a Captain in 9 years. Captain currently pays $72K. That's what most troopers make just working ODPE. Of course Captains only have to work their 40 hours. ODPE for them is slim to none because our policy requires the ODPE to be something that is related to their rank. I think they can work a few hours of SOAR at a flat rate ($45 per hour??).

Good luck to you. I love the FHP but the legislature doesn't. The current system forces people to promote just to get a raise so we end up with a lot of "supervisors" instead of "leaders". And I'm starting to rant so I'll end this....

Wow, thank you for the excellent response! Relative to the degree, I was kind of hoping it would help me with getting hired, not necessarily doing the job or getting paid more.

Thanks again!

07-23-2010, 11:32 PM
You can always get hired on with AAA and do much ofthe same work with better pay on your off shifts. :cry:

07-24-2010, 03:19 PM
You asked about the CAD and when probation begins.
CAD is a competitive area differential of $5,000 annually that's paid troopers assigned in these four counties: Dade, Broward, Palm Bch, and Monroe. If you leave those counties, you lose the CAD. Also if you live and work in Monroe Co, you also get a $3,000 annual living allowance.

If you are not a certified law enf officer when you report to the Academy, your one-year probationary period begins on the day you graduate from the Academy.

If you report to the Academy as a certified law enf officer, your probation period begins that day.

Sorry the other jerks wouldn't just answer the qxs.

07-24-2010, 03:59 PM
You asked about the CAD and when probation begins.
CAD is a competitive area differential of $5,000 annually that's paid troopers assigned in these four counties: Dade, Broward, Palm Bch, and Monroe. If you leave those counties, you lose the CAD. Also if you live and work in Monroe Co, you also get a $3,000 annual living allowance.

If you are not a certified law enf officer when you report to the Academy, your one-year probationary period begins on the day you graduate from the Academy.

If you report to the Academy as a certified law enf officer, your probation period begins that day.

Sorry the other jerks wouldn't just answer the qxs.

To include Lee and Collier doofus.