PDA

View Full Version : mobility

07-06-2010, 03:03 PM
I noticed a clause in the application process that requires you to sign a mobility agreement which includes being sent overseas. What are the chances of being sent overseas for your first assignment? Is any consideration given to applicants with a family as it relates to being deployed overseas? Thanks

atlhockeymom1
08-03-2010, 04:58 AM
Unless you speak a foreign language FLUENTLY and desire to go to a specific country overseas you will NEVER be assigned to a foreign field office. And under no circumstances would you be sent overseas on a first assignment or to relocate with a family there.

The "Service" will always come first. Your family is collateral damage. Do not be mislead into thinking (even if a recruiter tells you) that the USSS will ever care where YOU want to live or what office or part of the United States you desire to reside in. They don't. You will go where bodies are needed, irregardless of the needs of your family or the incompatibility of a spousal career.

I can honestly say I don't think there's an active or retired agent alive that would disagree with me.

08-03-2010, 06:33 AM
As a new recruit, you have NO chance of getting assigned to a foreign office. Foreign offices are places where the higher-ups send the people they want to take care of, nothing more. It has nothing to do with your ability to speak a foreign language. You have to do your domestic field office (or two) first, then your protection time, then you might have a shot at getting a foreign office. There are phase 1 agents who get foreign assignments, but they are few and far between.

If you really want to go to a foreign office, go to the FBI. At least if you do a hardship office with them, they give you choice of assignments after that, and that is made public throughout the FBI. At the USSS, bosses make their shady, back-door deals and you have no idea why someone else gets an office and you don't. Do yourself and your family a favor and apply somewhere else.

08-03-2010, 10:17 PM
As a new recruit, you have NO chance of getting assigned to a foreign office. Foreign offices are places where the higher-ups send the people they want to take care of, nothing more. It has nothing to do with your ability to speak a foreign language. You have to do your domestic field office (or two) first, then your protection time, then you might have a shot at getting a foreign office. There are phase 1 agents who get foreign assignments, but they are few and far between.

If you really want to go to a foreign office, go to the FBI. At least if you do a hardship office with them, they give you choice of assignments after that, and that is made public throughout the FBI. At the USSS, bosses make their shady, back-door deals and you have no idea why someone else gets an office and you don't. Do yourself and your family a favor and apply somewhere else.

I fully agree with the above statement.

08-06-2010, 01:24 AM
There are many factors that dictate who ends up at a foreign office. Language ability and having done a permanent protection assignment before going are two of the most important. You would have to have at least 10 years on. The other "qualifications" mentioned by those other guys are much less a factor. You do a good job and have the qualifications and desire, you can make it to a foreign office.

worfusa2008
08-06-2010, 02:23 AM

Well Said. 27+ years and out. Nothing changes.

08-06-2010, 05:23 AM
Back in the remote past we had to take a language aptitude test while in SS school.

I made a score that was so high that new FBI agents who scored at that level were forced to go to foreign language school.

I applied for foreign language school and was not selected.

Go figure.

worfusa2008
08-08-2010, 03:45 AM
Not to hijack this thread about mobility but atlhockeymom1 has pretty well hit it right on the head about the job. All the HQ pronouncements about the outfit being family oriented is eyewash. The Manual states that the needs of the Service are paramount. It is common knowledge among anyone who has stayed beyond five years that if HQ wanted you to have a personal life, it would be on your property card as : 1. Life, Personal, Optional. Your spouse's divorce lawyer will get rich and you will learn how many recipes there are for red beans and rice (meat optional). All those to whom I have recommended another federal law enforcement agency have never regretted it. Unfortunately, the majority of those who did did heed my advice and counsel now qualify for food stamps. Until the Service brings in a law enforcement professional from outside the federal law enforcement family who will fire everybody above GS-13, nothing will change. Don't drink the kool-aid.