PDA

View Full Version : Say it aint so

06-30-2010, 01:39 AM
Wilton Manors police chief under criminal investigation
Written by ELGIN JONES
The Wilton Manors Police Department is reeling from reports that the police chief is under criminal investigation.

Senior managers have given employees strict warnings not to discuss the probe.

Yet the South Florida Times has learned that the Broward State Attorney’s Office is investigating Chief Richard E. Perez for allegations of perjury related to his testimony in a 2007 civil trial. The alleged crime would be a felony.
Perez has not responded to questions about the investigation, but sources who requested anonymity have confirmed that Perez is the target of the probe.

“He is aware he is under investigation, but he is not concerned about it,” said a source close to the investigation who did not wish to be named because the investigation is confidential.

Other sources say that Perez received a target letter from prosecutors several weeks ago. The South Florida Times has requested copies of the letter.

The investigation centers on allegations of perjury related to Perez’s testimony in the 2007 civil trial of Philip “Phil” Cameron against his former employer, the Fraternal Order of Police union.

Also named in lawsuit were three union officials: Steve Klapka, James N. Mann and Martin Garcia. Cameron filed the lawsuit, alleging he was fired unjustly after being accused of several offenses, including theft and fraud.

As a result, Cameron had difficulty finding other employment. A former police officer, Cameron sought employment with the Wilton Manors Police Department.

Perez testified that he could not hire Cameron because he had been fired, and that he has never hired anyone who has been fired by another agency.

Cameron and Perez previously worked together as officers in the Fort Lauderdale Police Department. The criminal complaint also alleges that Perez’s testimony was designed to help Cameron, who went on to win a $333,688.64 judgment from the union and the three officials.

Prosecutors with the Broward State Attorney’s Office are not commenting, but the South Florida Times has confirmed that Stacy B. Schulman, an assistant state attorney in the Special Investigation Unit, has been combing through records at city hall. She has also subpoenaed other city records, including the personnel files of three police officers. All those officers were fired by different agencies, but were later hired by Perez. This appears to contradict Perez’s testimony in the civil trial.

According to other sources, a complaint against Perez was filed by the Police Benevolent Association (PBS) union, which represents police officers in Wilton Manors. Union officials are neither confirming nor denying that they filed the complaint.

“It would be illegal for me to say what, or if, we filed anything,” said Jeff Marano, senior vice president of the Broward County local of the Police Benevolent Association.

“What I can say is that we were preparing for a discipline case involving a demotion in Wilton Manors,” Marano said. “During our research, we discovered there was a similar case, and there was all this documentation, but I can’t say what we did with it.”

Wilton Manors City Manager Joseph L. Gallegos would not say what steps he would take if and when he is officially informed that Perez is under criminal investigation.

“At this time, the only contact the State Attorney’s Office has had with the City of Wilton Manors is a subpoena for copies of the job applications and hiring records of three police officers from our Human Resources Department, who I am assured were handled in no way different from other applicants at the time,” Gallegos said in an email to the newspaper. “I am not aware that any specific individual person in our City is under investigation.”

In the meantime, Perez continues with his normal duties.

06-30-2010, 02:00 AM
:devil: *SNIFF SNIFF SNIFF SNIFF* - Smells like KARMA! :snicker: Maybe someday you will learn to stop screwing people that are just doing their jobs. Love how he who should be held to the highest standard because of his position and the classes he teaches is the one who is caught lying. Wait, I thought he said that no one should lie. I guess it's that old saying, "Do as I say, don't do as I do". Wow, thanks for the leadership Chief....not!

07-01-2010, 12:03 AM
It's highly unlikely he'll be leaving alone! That's a dirty department with more secrets than Peyton Place.

07-01-2010, 03:50 AM
It will be a clean sweep of the whole police department administration. All have to much baggage with the worst being costello doing the nasty with an aide and then firing the ft lauderdale duo without dealing with capt ed and his sex addict police aide and covering it up. Hi KIM!Seibert and the Cameron connection will be summer headlines for the sun sentinel and Miami Herald. Gary R will clean house as he should and the other wasrefull city commissioners will know what to do.

07-01-2010, 04:10 AM
Wilton Manors police chief under criminal investigation
Written by ELGIN JONES
The Wilton Manors Police Department is reeling from reports that the police chief is under criminal investigation.

Senior managers have given employees strict warnings not to discuss the probe.

Yet the South Florida Times has learned that the Broward State Attorney’s Office is investigating Chief Richard E. Perez for allegations of perjury related to his testimony in a 2007 civil trial. The alleged crime would be a felony.
Perez has not responded to questions about the investigation, but sources who requested anonymity have confirmed that Perez is the target of the probe.

“He is aware he is under investigation, but he is not concerned about it,” said a source close to the investigation who did not wish to be named because the investigation is confidential.

Other sources say that Perez received a target letter from prosecutors several weeks ago. The South Florida Times has requested copies of the letter.

The investigation centers on allegations of perjury related to Perez’s testimony in the 2007 civil trial of Philip “Phil” Cameron against his former employer, the Fraternal Order of Police union.

Also named in lawsuit were three union officials: Steve Klapka, James N. Mann and Martin Garcia. Cameron filed the lawsuit, alleging he was fired unjustly after being accused of several offenses, including theft and fraud.

As a result, Cameron had difficulty finding other employment. A former police officer, Cameron sought employment with the Wilton Manors Police Department.

Perez testified that he could not hire Cameron because he had been fired, and that he has never hired anyone who has been fired by another agency.

Cameron and Perez previously worked together as officers in the Fort Lauderdale Police Department. The criminal complaint also alleges that Perez’s testimony was designed to help Cameron, who went on to win a $333,688.64 judgment from the union and the three officials.

Prosecutors with the Broward State Attorney’s Office are not commenting, but the South Florida Times has confirmed that Stacy B. Schulman, an assistant state attorney in the Special Investigation Unit, has been combing through records at city hall. She has also subpoenaed other city records, including the personnel files of three police officers. All those officers were fired by different agencies, but were later hired by Perez. This appears to contradict Perez’s testimony in the civil trial.

According to other sources, a complaint against Perez was filed by the Police Benevolent Association (PBS) union, which represents police officers in Wilton Manors. Union officials are neither confirming nor denying that they filed the complaint.

“It would be illegal for me to say what, or if, we filed anything,” said Jeff Marano, senior vice president of the Broward County local of the Police Benevolent Association.

“What I can say is that we were preparing for a discipline case involving a demotion in Wilton Manors,” Marano said. “During our research, we discovered there was a similar case, and there was all this documentation, but I can’t say what we did with it.”

Wilton Manors City Manager Joseph L. Gallegos would not say what steps he would take if and when he is officially informed that Perez is under criminal investigation.

“At this time, the only contact the State Attorney’s Office has had with the City of Wilton Manors is a subpoena for copies of the job applications and hiring records of three police officers from our Human Resources Department, who I am assured were handled in no way different from other applicants at the time,” Gallegos said in an email to the newspaper. “I am not aware that any specific individual person in our City is under investigation.”

In the meantime, Perez continues with his normal duties.

In the milirtary his pension whould be done . What is the state law in florida? if he is caught lying under oath in a depo or trial can his pension be stopped. YEP. The city of Ft Lauderdale has the right to stop his pension for life. They have already been served notice. His meeting with Klausner was a waste of time. Perjury is a very serious offense. His retirement is done along with his double dipping the phil and dee

07-01-2010, 08:32 PM
Who is this guy that he is not suspended? If a WMPD cop was under felony criminal investigation, wouldn't he or she be sitting at home right now under suspension? Should we assume that the city administrator won't or isnt doing his job? Does this go deeper than what the article says? I for one would sure like to know just what is going on in this place!!!

07-02-2010, 05:04 PM
[quote="Guest"]Who is this guy that he is not suspended?

You mistakenly thought that whole criminal investigation = administrative leave policy applied to the chief. According to the city manager, the policy simply doesn’t apply to the chief. A better question is what other rules don’t apply? Apparently, the “swear to tell the truth” part when he raised his right hand before testifying!

07-03-2010, 12:48 AM
Let's look for the good in this situation. Since that ****roach of a human being, Phil Cameron, got that big money award in the civil trial, I'm sure he will put up the bail money for the other ****roach, Rick Perez, when he get's arrested for the PERJURY charge. We need to think positive people! :lol:

07-03-2010, 01:59 AM
Hmmmm sounds like you lost your toy

07-03-2010, 02:17 AM
Let's look for the good in this situation. Since that ****roach of a human being, Phil Cameron, got that big money award in the civil trial, I'm sure he will put up the bail money for the other ****roach, Rick Perez, when he get's arrested for the PERJURY charge. We need to think positive people! :lol:

Hey why are we picking on ****roaches. I like ****roaches! I think the term to best describe Chief Rick Perez and disgrached former Ft Lauderdale Cop and FOP Member Phil Cameron would be MAGGOT ! I mean come on, NOBODY likes MAGGOTS. :evil:

10-07-2010, 09:28 PM
I am curious how this investigation is going. We are waiting to see what happens next.

10-08-2010, 12:18 PM
Same jerk new name

I am curious how this investigation is going. We are waiting to see what happens next.

10-08-2010, 12:18 PM
Same jerk new name