PDA

View Full Version : Polygraph exam

06-22-2010, 07:05 AM
What kind of questions do they ask during the polygraph exam? I'm just curious because I've read on here a few times that most applicants become disqualified after the polygraph exam. Thanks for any info.

tprjude
06-22-2010, 10:39 AM
The polyraph examination consists of a series of about 10 "yes" or "no" type questions. For example, "Have you been completely honest about prior drug use?" Also, "Is there any fact about yourself that you have not mentioned that could bring embarassment to the agency?" The examiner will go over the questions with you before beginning the actual test. Before the test, you will also have to fill out a booklet of questions. This booklet is about 20 to 30 pages long. It revisits all of the questions that you had on the supplemental application earlier in the hiring process. Honesty is always the best policy. As long as you are completely honest, have no major character issues, no serious convictions (juvenile or adult), and no RECENT drug use, you should be okay. The "yes" or "no" questions will be asked again in a second test. They are sometimes worded a little differently the second time. The whole process can take up to 6 or 8 hours. Make sure to read the letter you get beforehand carefully. There is a list of things not to bring or wear. Get plenty of rest, be on time, and good luck!

06-22-2010, 11:24 AM
There is about a 97% fail rate. So 3 out of 100 people pass the poly! Good Luck!

06-22-2010, 10:28 PM
Will the fact that you're nervous play a factor in pass/fail? I don't feel as though I have anything to hide or be dishonest about but it sounds like it may be a nerve wracking procedure

06-22-2010, 11:41 PM
Do they tell you after the exam is over if you passed? Or do they mail you the results?

tprjude
06-23-2010, 01:09 AM
The polygraph examiner may or may not comment on the exam afterwords. He will not tell you if you passed. You will receive a letter in the mail approximately 1 month after your exam. If the letter tells you that you have been disqualified, you do have the ability to appeal the decision.

06-23-2010, 01:41 AM
The polygraph examiner may or may not comment on the exam afterwords. He will not tell you if you passed. You will receive a letter in the mail approximately 1 month after your exam. If the letter tells you that you have been disqualified, you do have the ability to appeal the decision.

Thank you for the insight, I have my polygraph Thursday.

06-23-2010, 02:36 AM
What do you do when your girlfriend or wife says "no".

ANSWER _ You either lie or may a fool of yourself.

06-25-2010, 07:19 PM
Just ask for Lt. Tammy B. to give your poly. She's DEAF and DUMB.

07-18-2010, 06:52 PM
I was thinking of applying to be a police officer and im concerned about a polygraph. I have done crazy stuff in the past but you guys say as long as it isnt recent it should be ok. What do you mean by recent? Also what departments in SC are good to work for or are low key? I dont want to jump into a busy place until I feel more comfortable.

07-18-2010, 07:02 PM
I was thinking of applying to be a police officer and im concerned about a polygraph. I have done crazy stuff in the past but you guys say as long as it isnt recent it should be ok. What do you mean by recent? Also what departments in SC are good to work for or are low key? I dont want to jump into a busy place until I feel more comfortable.
If you don'y have military or college don't apply with FHP right now. I got all the way to the polygraph, passed it only to get a letter saying they're wanting more qualified applicant's right now. They could have told me that when they found out I didn't have either of those in my backround, instead not only did they waste their time and money they wasted mine as well.

07-18-2010, 07:37 PM
If you don'y have military or college don't apply with FHP right now. I got all the way to the polygraph, passed it only to get a letter saying they're wanting more qualified applicant's right now. They could have told me that when they found out I didn't have either of those in my backround, instead not only did they waste their time and money they wasted mine as well.

Waaaaaa BOO HOO. What do you do for work now? It isn't 20-30 years ago. If you don't have SOME type of post high school education, you aren't going to make it far in this world. Duh

Go cry a river somewhere else.