PDA

View Full Version : Evidence Custodians

06-10-2010, 12:04 AM
Anyone else heard that the Department is hiring civilians to take over the EP function? Word is one civilian per troop to handle evidence. I wonder what will happen to all the LTs who have been riding a desk playing with evidence.

06-10-2010, 01:30 AM
This should have been done 20 years ago. We do not need an Lt. getting paid $50,000 a year doing evidence. They actually need to do like most other trooper agencies, just have the county take our evidence. FHP is always a day short and a dollar late.

06-10-2010, 01:48 AM
This should have been done 20 years ago. We do not need an Lt. getting paid $50,000 a year doing evidence. They actually need to do like most other trooper agencies, just have the county take our evidence. FHP is always a day short and a dollar late.

Your are just stupid. Just work your crashes....

06-10-2010, 11:15 AM
I heard the LTs will still be in the Evidence Rooms and the non sworn they are hiring are only going to be the assistants.

06-10-2010, 05:02 PM

Sorry Lt., I didn't mean to suggest they take your cake job away. And sorry, but I don't work crashes anymore. I got a real job.

06-10-2010, 10:06 PM

Sorry Lt., I didn't mean to suggest they take your cake job away. And sorry, but I don't work crashes anymore. I got a real job.

This just goes to show how stupied some people are when it comes to another person's job, this person does not have a clue and could not find his ass with both hands.

If you think it is so easy to process 1000 to 2000 items a year, you come and do it. Yes there are troops with much less, but even then, do you really think that is all we do. What a laugh.

If you ask any LT, they would be glad to go work a couple of wrecks, write, what 5 tickets a day, and BS around the rest of the shift, not doing a real job of enforcment and protection.

Who do you think cleans up your mess when you cannot even follow step by step instuctions on I Evidence. Some turn in evidence so F-up, that if it was not for the EP Lt, you would losing your case. All wait, you would actually have to work to get evidence and then give a shit about making a good case.

Time to go, I have cake to eat. :evil:

06-10-2010, 10:23 PM

This just goes to show how stupied some people are when it comes to another person's job, this person does not have a clue and could not find his ass with both hands.

If you think it is so easy to process 1000 to 2000 items a year, you come and do it. Yes there are troops with much less, but even then, do you really think that is all we do. What a laugh.

If you ask any LT, they would be glad to go work a couple of wrecks, write, what 5 tickets a day, and BS around the rest of the shift, not doing a real job of enforcment and protection.

Who do you think cleans up your mess when you cannot even follow step by step instuctions on I Evidence. Some turn in evidence so F-up, that if it was not for the EP Lt, you would losing your case. All wait, you would actually have to work to get evidence and then give a shizzat about making a good case.

If all you LTs would be so happy working the road then why don't you do it? I have seen the process you EP Lts use to "process" evidence. It is much simpler than what the troopers much use to enter evidence. If 22 year old girls can do it at the S.O. then I'm sure it is a $50,000 a year sworn position that could be eliminated. Once again I know you are mad because I'm suggesting they eliminate your cake job, so yes, go eat your cake.

06-10-2010, 10:33 PM

Who do you think cleans up your mess when you cannot even follow step by step instuctions on I Evidence. Some turn in evidence so F-up, that if it was not for the EP Lt, you would losing your case. All wait, you would actually have to work to get evidence and then give a shizzat about making a good case.

If all you LTs would be so happy working the road then why don't you do it? I have seen the process you EP Lts use to "process" evidence. It is much simpler than what the troopers much use to enter evidence. If 22 year old girls can do it at the S.O. then I'm sure it is a $50,000 a year sworn position that could be eliminated. Once again I know you are mad because I'm suggesting they eliminate your cake job, so yes, go eat your cake.

And who the hell are you to judge, after all you're no longer with FHP, according to u. You have a real job now, right?

Take your useless comments and stick them up your a$$! :devil:

06-10-2010, 10:35 PM
[quote="Guest":3fo0f9rd]This should have been done 20 years ago. We do not need an Lt. getting paid $50,000 a year doing evidence. They actually need to do like most other trooper agencies, just have the county take our evidence. FHP is always a day short and a dollar late.

And who the hell are you to judge, after all you're no longer with FHP, according to u. You have a real job now, right?

Take your useless comments and stick them up your a$$! :devil:[/quote:3fo0f9rd]

What am I judging? I am merely making statements of fact. Sorry to burst your easy riding job bubble.

06-11-2010, 04:32 AM
Most SO’s and PD’s have civilians working as evidence custodians. I can assure you that the job is not so important that only a Lt could do it. If you process 2000 pieces of evidence a year, that is less than six items per day. Most SO’s and PD’s process hundreds of items each day, and they use civilians.

06-11-2010, 07:54 PM
Your Lt's only make 50K/year? Our Rookies earn nearly that day 1. FHP is lame.

06-12-2010, 01:39 AM
Congratulations! Now please, go back to your own board. If you're so happy, why would you take the time to come onto another departments forum?

And as for the person that stated we should give our evidence to the county.... What sense does that make?

I do agree that we should hire a civilian as an evidence custodian.

06-12-2010, 02:46 AM
Congratulations! Now please, go back to your own board. If you're so happy, why would you take the time to come onto another departments forum?

It is amazing how many deputies and officers from other agencies come on here to see what we're doing. It is proof that they are all jealous of us as STATE TROOPERS. Yes, many of them make more money but that's all they have to talk about since we are held in higher esteem by the public and because there is a certain status that comes with being a State Trooper.

The numbers do not lie. Just look at the number of posts:
FHP: 4290
Orlando PD: 43
Orange County SO: 145
Tampa PD: 2160
Hillsborough County SO: 2272
Tallahassee PD: 50
Leon County SO: 0

They all come here because, pay aside, they all wish they were Florida's elite, FHP.

The people who really make me laugh are the ones who left and come back here to bash FHP. If the Patrol was such a bad place for them to pick up and leave for another agency, then why do they look back? The answer is because they miss it here. Who gets divorced and then worries about what their ex-spouse is doing? The ones who are still in love and otherwise infatuated with their ex so they just can't let it go. How pathetic. If you move on that's fine but show some dignity and make it a clean break.

Miami-Dade PD: 400

06-12-2010, 05:24 PM
Of course the EP LTs are upset about losing their jobs. They're afraid they'll have to go out and actually work the road especially now that they have laptops identical to the troopers. They are used to sitting around the office doing practically nothing all day and making more than $50k. The EP LT in L gets everyone else to do his work and tells everyone he is in charge. Beware if you don't process the evidence right - he will be all over you. The assistant EP guys aren't much better. Bring in the civilians and put the LTs back to work!

06-12-2010, 07:48 PM
Of course the EP LTs are upset about losing their jobs. They're afraid they'll have to go out and actually work the road especially now that they have laptops identical to the troopers. They are used to sitting around the office doing practically nothing all day and making more than $50k. The EP LT in L gets everyone else to do his work and tells everyone he is in charge. Beware if you don't process the evidence right - he will be all over you. The assistant EP guys aren't much better. Bring in the civilians and put the LTs back to work!

This seems to be the typical attitude of newer Troopers. I'm not a Lieutenant, but I can assure you they have a lot more to do than you think. The job of Lieutenants is NOT to work the road. They are administrative people. Their job is to take care of the administrative stuff so YOU can do YOUR job. The best example of an organization that understands this philosophy is the U.S. Marine Corps. A Marine Platoon leader (Lieutenant) does not carry a rifle into combat. Do you know why? It's beacuse it's not his job to shoot at the enemy. It's his job to make sure YOU shoot at the enemy. I was never in the Marine Corps but I always thought that was a great method of leadership.

In my troop, the Evidence Lieutenant is also the Training Lieutenant. You can complain about him all you want but he is doing two jobs that are normally given to two different people in most agencies.

I still can't figure out your complaint about the LT being upset if you mess up the evidence. Basically you are telling us that you think a Lieutenant should do your job for you since you can't do it yourself. Is that correct?

06-13-2010, 04:13 AM
USMC' platoon leaders do most certainly carry a rifle. the whole every marine a rifleman theory being the mantra and all.

Get rid of the evidence lt and put a civilian in charge. And while you are at it get rid of the 9 million pages of documentation for a simple felony

06-13-2010, 04:17 AM
USMC' platoon leaders do most certainly carry a rifle. the whole every marine a rifleman theory being the mantra and all.

Get rid of the evidence lt and put a civilian in charge. And while you are at it get rid of the 9 million pages of documentation for a simple felony

I agree the paper work is out of control

06-13-2010, 06:21 PM
While there are some "EP Lieutenants" that EP is their only job, there are other areas that it is not. Lieutenants in districts that have only one Lt. get to do all the EP, wreckers, complaints, scheduling, training, station operations, DUI checkpoints, etc. If you are a Lt. at a station that has no Captain you can add half a dozen other tasks to the job. There is a lot that goes on behind the scenes that troopers never see.

06-15-2010, 05:59 PM
While there may be a LT out there who actually works hard at EP and training, most just ride a desk for 8 hours and go home. The EP LT in our troop also claims to be the Training Coordinator. He pushes EP work off on everyone else and isn't qualified to teach a single thing. It is all about titles and doing as little as possible. Put these LT back to work or out to pasture. Change the position to a trooper and put another body on the road.

tprjude
06-21-2010, 12:37 PM
While there are some "EP Lieutenants" that EP is their only job, there are other areas that it is not. Lieutenants in districts that have only one Lt. get to do all the EP, wreckers, complaints, scheduling, training, station operations, DUI checkpoints, etc. If you are a Lt. at a station that has no Captain you can add half a dozen other tasks to the job. There is a lot that goes on behind the scenes that troopers never see.

In my district, the EP Lieutenant is also a TWS when he is x8. I do agree that some positions could be eliminated and replaced with road trooper positions while others could be replaced with civilians. I do not think that a critical task such as evidence, evidence that could make or break a case, should be turned over to a non-sworn person. I am not implying that the non-sworn person is incompetent. However, the sworn person has been involved in their own cases during the course of their career, and understands more than the non-sworn individual the great weight placed on proper handling of evidence.

06-25-2010, 08:09 PM
Evidence custodians, ie. we lose evidence and nothing happens.... WOW, what a shock...