PDA

View Full Version : FHP Trooper killed in crash

05-16-2010, 08:00 AM
Florida's Turnpike lanes for northbound traffic were blocked late Saturday near the Okeechobee Road toll plaza in northwest Miami-Dade County as troopers investigated a wreck.

WSVN-Ch. 7 reported late Saturday that a state trooper was killed in the crash, struck by another vehicle while stopped on the side of the highway. The trooper's vehicle burst into flames, the station reported.

The crash happened about 8:30 p.m.

Troopers blocked all lanes of the highway, then re-opened the lanes for southbound traffic just before 10 p.m.

FHP's website, which shows all crashes and incidents that troopers are responding to on the highways, reported that the lanes for northbound traffic on the Homestead Extension of the turnpike were blocked at the 35-mile marker — the Okeechobee Road exit — and the lanes for southbound traffic were blocked at the 43-mile marker — the Red Road/Northwest 57th Avenue exit.

Click here to get Sun Sentinel weekend home delivery for only $1.25 per week. Type WEBSALE in the offer code box to take advantage of this limited time offer.
Copyright © 2010, South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Related storiesFrom other South Florida sources
FHP trooper killed in fiery crash on Florida’s Turnpike|miamiherald.com
Trooper dies after accident|wsvn.com
E-mail Print Digg Twitter Facebook StumbleUpon
Comments (2)Add / View comments
Michael B at 10:59 PM May 15, 2010
I passed this accident and the St. Troopers vehicle was unrecognizable! Bless his soul. Yes, MOVE OVER FOR EMERGENCY VEHICLES!!! I dumb ### took someones life and caused a two mile backup.

05-16-2010, 11:51 AM
Thanks to all Miami Dade Officers that responded and assisted. You guys treated this as if one of your own and that will not be forgotten by me. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. Stay Safe out there.

05-16-2010, 01:45 PM
I agree with the previous poster. Thank you for your service.

05-16-2010, 05:48 PM
To all Miami-Dade PD officers ... thanks is too little to say of how you (once again) came out in force to show your support at the scene. I am proud to stand side by side with you.

05-17-2010, 03:55 AM
THANK YOU VERY MUCH TO ALL THE MEN AND WOMEN OF MDPD FOR BEING THERE NEXT TO US DURING THIS TRYING TIME. WE REALLY APPRECIATE ALL YOU GUYS DO FOR US!

GOD BLESS AND PLEASE BE SAFE OUT THERE