PDA

View Full Version : Working for Inspector General

05-10-2010, 05:47 PM
I'am about to take a position with the Inspector General's office... I was a PO for 4 years..... Can anyone tell me how the actual IG job prison inspector job is?

05-10-2010, 07:43 PM
Sounds like you are bragging or trying to stir the pot why come here and seek info?

05-10-2010, 09:52 PM
I'am about to take a position with the Inspector General's office... I was a PO for 4 years..... Can anyone tell me how the actual IG job prison inspector job is?

You have to be a nark.

05-10-2010, 10:07 PM
AS TONY PEREZ, FORMER HEAD OF THE TPA. IG OFFICE ONCE TOLD ME, "MY JOB WAS TO PROTECT CAREERS NOT TO FIND OUT THE TRUTH." WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF COVER UPS FOR THE THE REGIONAL DIRECTORS, WARDENS AND TALLAHASSEE A. HOLES........

05-10-2010, 11:12 PM
You have to be a nark.[/quote]

Really? You sound like how an inmate/offender talks about cops. Do you walk around wearing a "No Snitchin" t-shirt too?? You're the exact reason nobody respects DOC officers. No integrity, no class.

05-11-2010, 12:05 AM
You have to be a nark.

Really? You sound like how an inmate/offender talks about cops. Do you walk around wearing a "No Snitchin" t-shirt too?? You're the exact reason nobody respects DOC officers. No integrity, no class.[/quote]

No I am just saying they want you to nark on fellow officers sometimes for trivial things many times if it fits their purpose and if you are a good nark and that doesn't bother you you will move up the chain quickly later on in your career as long as you dont make the mistake of narking on certain people in the chain.

05-11-2010, 12:07 AM
You have to be a nark.

Really? You sound like how an inmate/offender talks about cops. Do you walk around wearing a "No Snitchin" t-shirt too?? You're the exact reason nobody respects DOC officers. No integrity, no class.[/quote]

Bull crap. I'm no offender or inmate.

Tell me why is it that you have a whole bunch of past IG's coming before the legislature talking about the supposed "independence of the the IG's Office"?

You're full of it.

05-11-2010, 01:36 AM
The inspector general's office isn't independent. Anyone who thinks that is living that dream. But, they don't have some of their hit squad employees like days gone past. Truth be told, the institutional side (sorry George Sapp) has far more corruption and just plain screw ups than the community corrections side. Don't believe it, do a public record request and ask for the number of prison investigations compared to all others. Like any other organization, there are really good inspectors, there are a whole bunch of "just get by" types and there are a few back sliders scattered here and there.

The whole IG concept is flawed. There primary function in our agency should involve three areas only. Those are quality assurance auditing (i.e. internal audit), administrative internal affairs involving discipline from suspension to dismissal only and drug interdiction.

Beyond that, there should be a criminal arm of the governor's IG office that handles ANYTHING criminal related in any state agency.

05-11-2010, 04:25 AM
Well it probably will be a good job. Of course crossing over to the prison side will be a culture change. The only thing I have to say is watch out when/if you get hirer up the ladder and have to be political, treating different people different ways as ordered from the hire ups. I can only imagine how the whole Coons fiasco played out. Mrs. Coons and Mr. Coons (yes married) were arrested in Palm Beach. Mrs. Coons used to be an administrator but both are currently unit supervisors. In Jan. they both were arrested. They were both at an affair with a senior sup and the ROM. Mr. Coons came out drunk as a skunk and ended up punching the valet in the chest and getting arrested for Battery. His wife ended up getting arrested for RWOV and obstruction. Mr. Coons screamed he was a cop but then the real cops came and the first thing he did was give him his DL and DOC ID and badge. Well they were driven to Boca PD and released ROR bypassing the normal procedure of going to the county jail and being booked. A former Chief at Boca was forced to resign a few years earlier for giving the same special treatment to someone and that wasn't even a violent charge. Then the clerk of courts office keeps the case off of the docket. The snuck in the hearing early and when the media started poking around it was placed on the website but the hearing already took place. Well they both went into the pre-trial diversion program, did community service, paid fees and they are done. Can you imagine getting those cases? The ROM was there that night partying with them and probably got that special tx for them. So he committed a violent offense against a young man and was unethical in using his position for special tx. She was drunk, violent and basically an embarrassment to us all. They both are back in their regular positions with no terminations or demotions. I wonder if that IG was cool with how things were influenced to play out. Who would want to be in charge of ethics and misconduct and then have to be a hypocrit?

05-11-2010, 11:14 PM
Well it probably will be a good job. Of course crossing over to the prison side will be a culture change. The only thing I have to say is watch out when/if you get hirer up the ladder and have to be political, treating different people different ways as ordered from the hire ups. I can only imagine how the whole Coons fiasco played out. Mrs. Coons and Mr. Coons (yes married) were arrested in Palm Beach. Mrs. Coons used to be an administrator but both are currently unit supervisors. In Jan. they both were arrested. They were both at an affair with a senior sup and the ROM. Mr. Coons came out drunk as a skunk and ended up punching the valet in the chest and getting arrested for Battery. His wife ended up getting arrested for RWOV and obstruction. Mr. Coons screamed he was a cop but then the real cops came and the first thing he did was give him his DL and DOC ID and badge. Well they were driven to Boca PD and released ROR bypassing the normal procedure of going to the county jail and being booked. A former Chief at Boca was forced to resign a few years earlier for giving the same special treatment to someone and that wasn't even a violent charge. Then the clerk of courts office keeps the case off of the docket. The snuck in the hearing early and when the media started poking around it was placed on the website but the hearing already took place. Well they both went into the pre-trial diversion program, did community service, paid fees and they are done. Can you imagine getting those cases? The ROM was there that night partying with them and probably got that special tx for them. So he committed a violent offense against a young man and was unethical in using his position for special tx. She was drunk, violent and basically an embarrassment to us all. They both are back in their regular positions with no terminations or demotions. I wonder if that IG was cool with how things were influenced to play out. Who would want to be in charge of ethics and misconduct and then have to be a hypocrit?

Cops have the legal right to relaese anyone ROR without taking them to jail for almost any misdemeanor except DUI and Domestic Violence. They do that in some places quite a bit and there is nothing improper technically about it. Also I have seen others officers do equivalent things and keep their jobs with just reprimands and a probation period from CJSTC so if that happens it doesn't mean the fix was in necessarily.

05-12-2010, 01:01 PM

Hey Einstein, here's a news flash for you....a Notice to Appear IS an arrest. If the cops wanted to show favortism, they would have just let them both go completely and you never would have heard about this...which is something that happens ALL the time (Keyword-"Professional Courtesy")
Getting NTAs for simple battery is the norm, not the exception. They both faced criminal charges just the same as if they had been put in jail and, if your info is correct, got sentences typical for minor first time offenses. Also, the administrative disciplinary process takes a long time and would not even have started until the criminal case was over. When all is said and done, they will face discipline the same as every other employee that gets arrested (which unfortunately is not uncommon), and, in fact, they may be subject to even HARSHER discipline given their status as being held to higher standards than other employees.
One more thing, The IG's office has nothing to do with the disciplinary process. Their sole purpose is to gather facts, determine if any violations occurred, and then put the findings in a report and forward to CO. After that, it's out of their hands. So why would the inspector care about the outcome of the case?

Stop trying to put the "conspiracy" label on every little thing that happens. BS like this waters down the real problems within the dept.

CPT Aubrey
05-12-2010, 11:27 PM
This is a half-way interesting string so, I'll throw my hat in the ring.

If there are conspiracy theories as the previous guest would suggest, it's because the organization is not a-political, but politcal- through it's own organization.

As long as an agency can impact what the IG looks at or doesn't, and as long as the IG organization itself is not independent but under the auspices of a state governor, well then expectations must be low. It's a given.

The very idea as it exists today, of an independent watch dog looking over the shoulders of Florida politicians to insure legal and ethical conduct is laughable. Crosby comes to mind.

And the problem with some of those conspiracies theories? They're right.

And it's boards like this that at times, make a difference.Crosby found that out.

Viva the 1st amendment.

CPT Aubrey
05-22-2010, 02:38 AM
So, Guest or should I say Eistein II?

Either what I said above is full of it, or you need to retract your garbage.

Problem is, I'm right and your column above is full of half truths and obfuscation...

The IG is as about as independent as a North Korean citizen.

05-22-2010, 04:29 AM
Thank you CPT Aubrey for making sense. What does this other writer think? There are no conspiracies, no corruption, and everyone is treated fairly and equally. Man, and I thought I was an idealist. Wake up.

First of all, I don't think the responding officers wanted to give them any special consideration. It is a well-written report that shows how violent, uncooperative, drunk and the extent that they acted entitled. The male supervisor committed Battery on a valet! An unprovoked attack on a young man doing his job. NTA's are usually used with non-violent and cooperative criminals. The female supervisor was charged with resisting arrest and obtruction! I think the fact that they were ROR'd was taken out of their hands by high up superiors by the urging of the ROM. Just my opinion. Also if you read back in the newspapers a few years back, the Boca Chief was forced to resign for giving someone(bigwig developer) an NTA, considering that special treatment by not having to be booked into the county jail like everyone else. The circumstances in this case do not fit in even slightly into the circumstances related to cases that would be given an NTA instead of being booked. So they were not booked and there was no photos/records available to the public via the PBSO jail site.
Then the case doesn't show up on the clerks website for two months? I'm not talking about their address or personal info. I'm talking the whole case. Then the police report gave the date of arraignment. Well they snuck it in early so the media could not be present.
If any reasonable person pulls the report(good luck getting it) and just independently looks at all the circumstances------well if it doens't reek to you...........................
As for the IG, I am not familiar with that office a lot however I do agree with CPT Aubrey. I would love to believe that the IG is above reproach, fair, equal and free from any political pressure. However I worry....
I know the male sup was out for some time and is back at his same chair and I would bet that doesn't change. Also conspiracy or not: a senior sup, a ROM and these two sups were all together that night, at a party with a lot of drinking. We have a suspicious ROR, lack of public records (for at least a couple of months) and now it's like nothing happened. People want to argue about professional courtesy which I don't think is an issue here(read the report) and the theory the IG would have no pressure whatsoever in regards to certain cases. Well go ahead. However, those who have chosen this dept as there career should be up in arms. But hey-no conspiracies. All the people in administrative positions are there due to hard work, and competency. They are all everyday people just like us and if this situation involved anyone of us, I'm sure it would be handled exactly the same way :lol:

And for the writer that states that what needs to be written are the real issues. Well if this is not at the top of them, I don't know what is. We want to be valued, listened to and treated with respect for the job we do. The people we rely on are the ones above. Any and all issues go through them one way or another.

05-22-2010, 11:22 AM
They were "partying with a lot of drinking"
Really? Were you there?
It was a Bar Mitzvah
They were at a temple and then out to a restuarnt with a bunch of 13 year old kids.
Get your facts straight.

05-26-2010, 02:55 AM
The facts are in the police report. The Coons left this "family affair with all these so-called thirteen year olds" around midnight. They were extremely intoxicated----READ THE REPORT! And if I were any of them I would want it to be known I was intoxicated to act in such a horrible way. Were your there Guest? No alcohol served at Magiano's restaurant? You act like it was an affair for families so none of the adults couldn't have drank too much. It just makes it that much worse that there could have been a bunch of thirteen years olds around to watch what ensued. So you are alluding to the fact that you must have been there. What exactly in the police report is not true? The Coons got the benefit of a pre-trial diversion program but they had to agree with it and pay fines and do community service hours. Innocent people don't cop to an aggreement like that. But you were the one there so please enlighten us.

CPT Aubrey
05-28-2010, 10:37 PM
As I said in an ealier post:

Gee. And just what were the results of the Citrus IG investigation? They've had plenty of time to complete it. Actually, they could have written a doctor's thesis by now.

Well as DOC always says, "No information is good information."

The IG always does such a good job publically publishing the results of their investigations. Kind'a like the one they did on Crosby.

Oh, I'm sorry. The IG's office never did an investigation on Crosby.

06-23-2010, 05:25 AM
Ok Guest. If you want facts, pull the report. The officers state that he was intoxicated. The behavior in the report describes two people acting very intoxicated. So the logic is since it was after a ceremony involving teenagers, the adults, of course would not be intoxicated. Of course this was also like very late at night. I'm sure that alcoholics draw the line when they are at a restaurant after a Bar Mitzvah. By the way, they weren't at Chunky Cheese. They were at a upscale restuarant/bar in Boca Raton. I love it when someone says get your facts straight who has not read the sworn affidavit and makes the allegation that they couldn't be drunk after midnight at the restuarant because well it was after a Bar Mitzvah. I bet Guest writes a heck of a vop report.

08-31-2010, 01:19 AM
Ok, so that case's specifics aside, and back to the IG positon...

Still special risk?
Assigned state vehicle?
Overtime?

Not interested in the narc./conspiracy stuff. I was a CO for a long time, and I know a lot of good guys/gals get screwed, but I know from seeing co-workers get arrested for legitimate bad stuff (Rape, Heroin Trafficking etc.) that there was clear and convincing proof that they did, that this job needs to be done. Thinking about coming over from another state agency, and just want a real outlook on what the job is like, and if it is worth the swtich. The base pay is more, but I'd lose overtime, so I have to see if it would be worth it for the paycheck.

Thank you in advance for serious responses...

12-20-2013, 03:12 AM
That was one heck of a night for Pam and Darci. MBL, CF and DL didn't get the invite then and had zero chance of getting the promotion now.

12-20-2013, 01:34 PM
That was one heck of a night for Pam and Darci. MBL, CF and DL didn't get the invite then and had zero chance of getting the promotion now.

Boy are you late for the party! This thread was from 3 1/2 years ago.