PDA

View Full Version : Palm Beach County School Board faces $83 million gap in budg

04-29-2010, 08:48 PM
Heres your chance PBA, be the golden boy, step up with some numbers from PBSO and save the District money. Partner with the CTA, tell them more benefits if we are green, MORE money for you and your teachers.......YOU SHOULD RUN WITH THIS, TELL KAZ, because I am sending an email now...........................

Palm Beach County School Board faces $83 million gap in budget

Against a backdrop of negotiations over teacher raises for this year, Palm Beach County School Board members began today to consider how to plug an estimated $83 million hole in the coming year's $2.7 billion budget.

Their task is far from easy.

The $83 million shortfall doesn't include the up-to-$59 million cost of stricter class-size limits that take effect this fall. Voters will consider relaxing class-size requirements in November, but school districts still face a financial penalty if they don't comply.

It also doesn't include the cost of raises for teachers. This year, the district offered one-time $500 bonuses at a cost of $6.6 million. The teachers union's proposal of automatic pay increases based on experience would cost between $14 million and $16.7 million - any automatic increase also would be in the coming year's budget.

Board members also must consider the looming loss of $100 million in federal stimulus dollars in 2012. Federal stimulus funds have been paying for about 1,600 jobs.

"We have a lot of issues stacking up for fiscal year 2012," said Mike Burke, the district's chief financial officer.

Board members, who met for four hours today, will give tentative approval of the budget and property tax rate in July, with final approval in September. The school district's fiscal year starts July 1.

They plan to meet several times in May.

Of the $83 million shortfall, about $61.3 million comes out of the district's capital budget, which pays for school construction, while about $21.8 million comes from the operating budget, which pays for most employee salaries and academic programs.

Palm Beach County schools have escaped massive layoffs thus far by using federal stimulus dollars to preserve jobs, enacting a hiring freeze for non-instructional jobs and "backing up" on efforts to reduce class sizes ahead of the state's phased-in requirements, Burke said.

But it's getting tougher to trim the budget.

Health care alone will cost $9 million more for Palm Beach County schools next year, Burke said. Property values also have fallen an average of 12 percent throughout the county in the last year, he said. School budgets are supported largely by local and state property taxes.

Board members, who didn't get into details today, said they want to avoid layoffs, if possible.

Board member Paulette Bur**** asked about switching some employees from 12-month contracts to 11-month contracts.

Board member Debra Robinson said she wanted to avoid options that cut pay from the district's lowest-paid employees.

"Anything that decreases the amount of money in someone's paycheck, we need to start from the top," she said.

04-30-2010, 10:12 PM
HMMMMMMMMM!!!!!! Let's see
1. 12 hour tours
2. real police work
3. sig 4 in driving rain storms of hurricanes
4. Meeting really bad people on the street that are out to kill you
5. Patrolling , domestics , Bar Brawls , Felony warrants , 3a.m. 4a.m 5a.m call after
call
6. Sgt. that is half your age telling you how to do it .
7. No weekends , no holidays . no day shift . probation , FTO from an officer half
your age.
AGAINST;
No weekends . No holidays , Mentoring program , bulling program did I say no Holidays, No weekends off with your kids ALL the TIME.
ARE YOU F"IN KIDDING ME BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR YOU MIGHT JUST GET IT !!!!!!!

05-01-2010, 06:46 AM
YOU ARE FLIPPIN INSANE, HOW WOULD THAT HAPPEN? IT WOULD BE A SPECIALIZED UNIT JUST LIKE ANYTHING ELSE. ITS ALL ON HOW THEY RIGHT THE CONTRACT. ENJOY THOSE STRIPES WHILE THEY LAST, SOON YOU WILL BE A SLICK SLEEVE WEARING GREEN.

05-02-2010, 07:35 PM
You guise still come on here? Posting on here is a bigger waste of time than sitting in my office sleeping all day at my assigned school.

Good night

05-18-2010, 03:04 PM
Arguing on this site is like competing in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still a retard.

06-03-2010, 01:48 AM
Good Job ,

The end of our year is here. Train like you would fight, pat you'r self on the back for serving our cause. Good Job! I Thank You!

God Bless.

01-01-2013, 04:23 PM
School Board Member Jennifer Prior Brown used the School Board Police to body gaurd here twins at Olive Elementary for months, without cause.

She uses her children in every statement and ad, like used props,
at an off-Broadway play.

She reads emails and threatens admin., and teachers.

She has frightened PBCSD PD, so much, that the PBCSD PD has been cought fabricating and manufacturing false excuses, to allow her to obtain the funds from our childrens schools, for her very own armed gang, at tax payers expense.

Wanda Morelli, (buffer for the school board board members), and
Jennifer Prior Brown, are frauds.
And that's just the tip of the iceburg.

Jennifer Brown, advacates the harming of children.
She is the face of evil, and I feel bad that the School PD is forced to comply with her "illegal directives".