PDA

View Full Version : corrections to probation crossover

04-19-2010, 10:18 PM
Hello,

I just recently applied to correctional officer positions in Dade, Broward and Martin Counties. If hired, while working I will continue to go to school and finish my degree. My hopes are to switch from Corrections to Probation. Does this move happen often within Florida DOC? Is it easier to get hired as a probational officer since I would already be part of DOC?

Thank You and stay safe

04-19-2010, 11:48 PM
No it doesn't matter too much. You'll still need to get your degree and pass the interview. Once you get hired they will send you to the academy, either in Tallahassee or Ft. Lauderdale. Good luck!

04-20-2010, 12:23 AM
Having time with DOC will help you through the interview and can also get you some good contacts to put in a good words for you. It will help you. If you were really smart you would stay in the CO category with a degree which will help you move up faster in the long run. But it is not the greatest job either.

04-22-2010, 10:18 AM
Listen, If you can start with the state, do it & then move to the County Sheriff. The County pays a lot more than the state. Pleaaaaaaaaaaaaase, I am here with the state as a Probation Officer and I am getting pension from another state this is why I stay with the state. I would never, never, neeeeeeever encourage anyone to work for the state of Florida..

04-25-2010, 10:56 PM
In some counties-- not all. You must be in a bigger County, In middle and Northern Florida in small departments iys not even close. I work in Corrections with the State. The only real job with the Department is with P&P but there very careful who they select on the corrections side. I think a P.O. is like a "SGT" a P.O. 2 is like a "LT", not sure about the rest of the positions. They get high risk just like us but get to carry firearns and make arrests which is alot more then I do here all night.

04-26-2010, 01:14 AM
If your in the Department its the best job to have but all you ever hear is them *****in. However they do require a bs degree. Why put in that kind of time when by the time you have your degree you will probably be a lt.