PDA

View Full Version : learn something

04-13-2010, 10:37 PM
Learn something, and stick together people!!!!!!!

Don't expect the police to break up this protest — they'll be the ones with the picket signs.

The Palm Beach County Police Benevolent Association announced Monday that the West Palm Beach Police Department — still fuming over the city's decision last month to eliminate officer pay raises and reduce benefits — won't protect and serve at SunFest, and will instead protest the city's crown jewel event.

So Weezer, ZZ Top and the Flaming Lips will be joined by an estimated 100 officers protesting the five-day, nonprofit festival.

"The public thinks all we're doing is asking for raises," said Lou Penque, a West Palm Beach sergeant and union treasurer. "We are more than willing to work with the city and they refuse to work with us.

"Every suggestion we come up with, where they can save money, they ignore. If it was just our raises, we'd be happy. Instead they take away holiday pay, patrol incentive, longevity and give us a 26 percent health insurance increase."

But SunFest executive director Paul Jamieson doesn't understand why his festival, which isn't a city government function, has to get stuck in the middle of a debate between the police and the city.

"I don't think [the protest] will have an effect, but if it did, who would it hurt?" Jamieson said. "It would hurt the volunteers. It would hurt us — a nonprofit organization. And it would hurt downtown businesses."

SunFest pays the city for police officers and also pays private security to work the event.

05-12-2010, 03:31 AM
Guess Mr. Non-Profit will need to hire more security. Don't comment if you don't understand. In fact, why don't you find out by asking. Everyone has been hit hard by this economy. But to have our own Legisators, League of Cities, and County Commission go after Law Enforcement and Teachers is egregious at best. We all know where the "fat" is in the cities, but of course, they are the ones making the policies that ultimately effect everyone below them. Whether its Palm Beach or Broward, there mistake of mismanaging funds, buying into the bubble, or whatever, is now costing jobs, salaries, higher insurance premiums, and the f-ing unbelieveable action against our pensions, which is something we all look forward to. There's a reason I carry a gun, Taser, etc, while these politicians carry a briefcase. F-them for screwing up their balance sheets, and damn them forever in an their bull-sht attempt to mes with our retirement.
Assholes

05-12-2010, 03:36 AM
WOW, for the record, I did NOT type darn, it was D...A....M....N. I also did not type meany, it was A$$-holes.
thank you

05-14-2010, 05:42 PM
Yes, I did type this, so don't ask.