PDA

View Full Version : New to DOC

04-12-2010, 01:12 AM
Hi Everyone,

I was recently hired on at DOC as a CPO trainee and I am scheduled for orientation this coming Friday. From there, I've been told I will report to my assigned field office for 3 weeks before I begin the academy. I've read nearly every thread on this forum in an attempt to decipher some useful infomation for what is to come. I'm coming from another state agency, so I'm no stranger to how Tallahassee treats its employees......so aside all the BS about what goes on at the capitol, does anyone have any intelligent advice for the academy and/or those first few weeks on the job??? I would really appreciate it. Let me also say that having already worked with many of you for the past 4 years in my current capacity......I am very appreciative for the work that all of you do, and I am truely honored to be joining your team in the near future. Stay safe and God bless.

04-12-2010, 01:18 AM
Listen and don't speak until you have done the job for a while. Ask many questions and study hard while you are in the academy. The FDLE test will be easy if you do. Don't hang around grumpy angry people and make sure every day that you feel like you are making a difference. No matter how small it may feel. Many people love this job. A few are sorry they are here and will tell you every change they get. Good luck.

04-12-2010, 08:26 PM
why would you stay with the state ??????????????????????????? wow try the county or a large city your unreal genius for comming to doc probation or really any state acengy. :evil:

04-12-2010, 10:07 PM
Hi Everyone,

I was recently hired on at DOC as a CPO trainee and I am scheduled for orientation this coming Friday. From there, I've been told I will report to my assigned field office for 3 weeks before I begin the academy. I've read nearly every thread on this forum in an attempt to decipher some useful infomation for what is to come. I'm coming from another state agency, so I'm no stranger to how Tallahassee treats its employees......so aside all the BS about what goes on at the capitol, does anyone have any intelligent advice for the academy and/or those first few weeks on the job??? I would really appreciate it. Let me also say that having already worked with many of you for the past 4 years in my current capacity......I am very appreciative for the work that all of you do, and I am truely honored to be joining your team in the near future. Stay safe and God bless.

This is a state job i.e. you will never get rich. Some of the people you work with are absolute dweebs. The offenders are just like everyone else treat them like shit they respond in kind. Treat them as people you will get good results. DON'T buy into the fear and loathing. Treatpeople like your momma taught you too you will be fine

04-12-2010, 11:04 PM
Hi Everyone,

This job is better than most state jobs contrary to posts you see here. You can adjust your schedule when you have an appt come up so you dont always have to use your built up leave hours to cover the time. I would just advise you to try and identify the officers that appear like they really want to help you learn how things work and ask them questions when you sre first starting. The ones not bothered by the questions should be easy to identify. As far as the academy it all depends where it is at. The one I went through years ago was very laid back (we dressed like at work and the instructors were pretty laid back) and nothing like certain ones were in other parts of the state which were pretty strict more like the LE academies I heard. I am not sure where you are going but the one in Broward county was supposed to be pretty strict and made you wear uniforms and all that in the past. They make you do Physical Training but a lot of people are out of shape so don't sweat that too much. Defensive Tactics is the only part that is a little stressful to pass. As far as studying just memorize those big binders and you will pass the FDLE test as the questions come directly out of that and someone could pass it by just reading those without ever attending the academy but you will find that the academy is mostly irrelevant when it comes to your job in reality.

Good Luck

04-23-2010, 10:54 AM
GO AND BE A DEPUTY SHERIFF MORE OPPORTUNITIES BETTER PAY BETTER JOB PLUS YOU WILL EXPOSE YOURSELF TO LAW ENFORCEMENT...

04-23-2010, 11:54 PM
Good Luck to you. Study every night plus on the weekend. There are some that go there to party all the time. I didn't, and I past the test the first time.
However, did you try the SO office. Better pay in the long run.
Good Luck.

05-04-2010, 11:11 PM
Hi Everyone,

Dear New Cpoguy,
First off, please ignore most of the postings on here. Try to learn as much as you can while you are in the office before you go to the academy. You won't remember everything but will retain some, this will help you when you do get your certification and caseload. Remember that the academy is formated for its students to pass the FDLE exam. There may be an instructor here and there that may "fit" things in but the academy does not teach you how to do the job. Study hard, as the other poster mentioned, if the academy is worth its weight in gold by the time they get done with you the FDLE exam should be a breeze. I hope that your office will assign a training officer for you. The dept. doesnt have an officical FTO program (which they should) if you are lucky enough to have someone assigned to you learn as much as you can and pay attention. Ask many questions, things are always changing, it doesnt make you appear dumb to ask questions, its ultimatley better that way. Always remember that this type of job cannot be learned overnight, it usually takes people in upwards to a year to get comforatable. In the begining learn the computer program, codes, screens, review files, get copies of violation reports, affidavits, warrants, psi's bond reductions and any other investigative document that might be available so you can learn how to do them. One final thing, the textbooks were right, this is an underpaid (grossly), underappreciated job, this is a very demanding position. This isnt just "another job" we are not merely door knockers, the real test begins many years later. Think about it. I hope that this is what you want for a career, the dept is sorely lacking in committed individuals, good luck

05-08-2010, 12:38 PM
I WAS A CPO FOR 5 YEARS BIGGEST WASTE OF MY TIME. I LEFT FOR A SHERIFF OFFICE AND TO DATE IT IS THE BEST THING EVER. I WORK FOR A MED/LARGE AGENCY AND HAVE DONE A LOT SINCE I LEFT DOC IN 2004. I MAKE 61 GRAND AND HAVE MADE OVER 78K WITH O/T AND SPECIALITY PAY. WE GET LOTS OF GREAT TRAINING AND GO TO LOT OF OUT OF TOWN/STATE TRAINING SEMINARS. I CAN WORK AS MUCH AS I WANT OR JUST 40HRS AWEEK. WHEN I WAS A CPO I COULD NOT SURVIVE WITH THE LOW PAY AND FRANKLY BORING CASELOAD/WORK. I HATED BEING SURROUNDED BY NON LEO'S AND WANTABEES DAILY. I HAVE LOTS OF MOVEMEWMNT IN THE SHERIFFS OFFICE AND ADVANCEMENT WITH RANK IF THATS WHAT I WANT.

05-08-2010, 04:25 PM
I WAS A CPO FOR 5 YEARS BIGGEST WASTE OF MY TIME. I LEFT FOR A SHERIFF OFFICE AND TO DATE IT IS THE BEST THING EVER. I WORK FOR A MED/LARGE AGENCY AND HAVE DONE A LOT SINCE I LEFT DOC IN 2004. I MAKE 61 GRAND AND HAVE MADE OVER 78K WITH O/T AND SPECIALITY PAY. WE GET LOTS OF GREAT TRAINING AND GO TO LOT OF OUT OF TOWN/STATE TRAINING SEMINARS. I CAN WORK AS MUCH AS I WANT OR JUST 40HRS AWEEK. WHEN I WAS A CPO I COULD NOT SURVIVE WITH THE LOW PAY AND FRANKLY BORING CASELOAD/WORK. I HATED BEING SURROUNDED BY NON LEO'S AND WANTABEES DAILY. I HAVE LOTS OF MOVEMEWMNT IN THE SHERIFFS OFFICE AND ADVANCEMENT WITH RANK IF THATS WHAT I WANT.
yawn.