PDA

View Full Version : Something must be working

03-28-2010, 01:48 PM
Crime down in Zephyrhills

By LAURA KINSLER

lkinsler@tampatrib.com

Published: March 28, 2010

ZEPHYRHILLS - In its first year under the leadership of Chief David Shears, the Zephyrhills Police Department saw a nearly 15 percent drop in crime.

The number of reported crimes in 2009 dropped in every category except for burglary, which rose by 3 percent. There were no homicides in the city limits in 2008 or 2009.

Shears credits a shift in philosophy, with more emphasis on traffic control. Zephyrhills police wrote 33 percent more traffic citations in 2009. Operations Division Commander Jeff McDougal said the stepped up traffic enforcement had a direct correlation to reduction in traffic fatalities and to the overall crime rate.

Shears and McDougal also assigned the department's TACT, or Taking Action on Community Trends, Team to focus on the city's downtown historic district and two area parks where crimes were trending up.

McDougal said he wanted more police visibility in those neighborhoods to enforce minor violations. They also worked closely with Code Enforcement officers to keep the criminal element from moving into neighborhoods where there were a high number of foreclosures and abandoned homes.

"I wanted those officers to be well-rounded," he said. "They addressed ordinance and code violations. The whole point was to get them out of the car and doing what they're supposed to do."

Shears said the poor economy is likely to blame for the growing number of domestic disturbances.

"Our domestic violence rate went up 12 percent," Shears said. "But that's not something we can control - what goes on in people's homes."

One area where the chief expects to see improvement in 2010 is the recovery of stolen property. The department recovered less than half of the more than $1.5 million of property reported stolen in 2009. The department will implement a new software program in April that automatically scans pawn tickets to compare with items that were reported stolen.

Shears also plans to resurrect the department's bicycle patrol units. Shears, who joined the department in 1992, was a member of the patrol early in his career.

03-28-2010, 02:01 PM
thanks to the zephyrhills police department for keeping us safe. i for one would not do your job for all the money in the world!

citizen on 5th ave. :D

03-28-2010, 02:15 PM
You do realize that those numbers can be adjusted by the police department and don't necessarily reflect true numbers, don't you? I find it amusing that this was published within weeks of the Captain scandal, what a coincidence. LOL LOL LOL

03-28-2010, 02:27 PM
You do realize that those numbers can be adjusted by the police department and don't necessarily reflect true numbers, don't you? I find it amusing that this was published within weeks of the Captain scandal, what a coincidence. LOL LOL LOL

There you go, the few disgruntles that didn't get what they wanted... keep up the great work... you've lost the confidence of the people of z-hills! Let me guess, the admin. made up those stats, right? Move on!

03-28-2010, 02:46 PM

Ok now-it-all, what are the true numbers? Give it up. If like all agencies within the state of Florida, U.C.R. are given to FDLE and they total them and give out the report. What now, FDLE needs to be investigated? Your two minutes of fame is over, either go to work and respect the admin. that has been put in place by council or find another job! Once again, thank you to the men and women that wear the Zephyrhills police uniform for a job well done!

Sincerely,
A Retired Florida Law Enforcement Officer who resides within the city limits

03-28-2010, 03:11 PM
I think we owe all of this crime reduction to the manipulation of stats by the captain.

03-28-2010, 03:30 PM
I think we owe all of this crime reduction to the manipulation of stats by the captain.

Obviously you don't get it which leads me to believe you're just a disgruntled road officer or civilian that believes he/she knows it all. Answer the the question, what are the true stats then, if different? You need to concentrate on learning to do your officer's/civilian job and leave the other to the people placed in the positions of running the P.D.. It's amazing, that the same issues come up at every agency that there's always the same disgruntled employees/civilians that didn't get want they wanted and believe everyone needs to go but them! It's not all about you, move on!

03-28-2010, 03:53 PM
Man, will this guy just go away?

If the Stats showed that crime was up, then I'm sure the stats would be correct in your mind and the Captain needs the blame. LOL. you are really something little guy.

Have you ever considered how silly you are?

I've kind of enjoyed the last several months here. There is not alot of drama on my shift and I'm driving a decent car. Yeah, the overtime has reduced but I still get my extra now and then. But, it's been kind of nice without you here.

03-28-2010, 04:21 PM
No, he won't. He doesn't consider what he does.

He is mad at that Captain and no matter what, he will do anything to cause the Captain trouble.

He has done this to others throughout the years, this time it's the captain's turn.

Can't say that I am upset about that though. the captain needs to learn to pick his friends better and shouldn't have protected this little guy all of these years.

03-29-2010, 12:16 PM
Thanks chief and your staff for a job well done! Great article and glad you keep us citizens up to date on your progress! Keep up the great work and remember, there are alot of jealous people out there not wishing your staff to be sucessful. :wink: