PDA

View Full Version : Senate trying to lay off 640 Correctional Officers

03-26-2010, 10:02 PM
http://www.flanews.com/?p=9050

FL Senate to shut down 3 Prisons - 600+ layoffs ?

One place rumored of the two or three prisons that would be closed is Apalachee if this passes... The private prison people must be funneling the money in again...

"Three state prisons would be shut down and 640 correctional officers would lose their jobs under the senate’s budget proposal. Some of the money saved from shutting down the prisons and firing the officers would be used to hire a private prison company for a facility in Santa Rosa County known as the Blackwater Prison. Matt Puckett with the Florida Police Benevolent Association says correctional officers who have risked their lives for years are being sacrificed so the private sector can pull down state dollars.

“Basically the private sector has built a prison, we don’t have enough inmates to fill this prison, so they are going to take inmates from the private sector to fill it, so we are calling it the Blackwater bailout,” said Puckett

The PBA is fighting for an amendment in the Senate’s budget to save the prisons. The budget doesn’t name which prisons would be closed and gives the state until July 1st to decide who will be laid off."

CPT Aubrey
03-27-2010, 12:06 AM
I don't want to see any CO lose their jobs.

I'm just wondering where guest,PBA, the PBA Chapter of Correctional Officers were when CO tried to eliminate every single regular probation officer as part of their "10% budget exercise." Not a single peep. Even after Central Office sent a letter to the legislatrure crying, "mistake!". Yeah, right.

Almost evey single CO possibly losing their job will regain it. They have and always have had, a horredous turn-over poblem. One that continues even in these dire economic times. Difficulties in the interum? You bet. They may have to take a salary cut in the form of ecessive commute. And I am very sorry for it but, we have been losing positions since 2001 and will lose more this session, to include some possible live bodies in the form of front line supervisors and have been paid .49 cents a mile for state miles driven- no reimbursement for forced commute travel.

I do have to admit. On a state level, PBA hasn't done bad thus far in this legislative session. It's always on the individual chapter level where they fall short. I did watch the PBA presentation during the committee discussion on prison cuts. The PBA rep sucked in his rebuttal. Their problem starts at the PBA level as always did ours.

But, sympathy? Not on your life.

03-27-2010, 12:12 AM

I'm just wondering where guest,PBA, the PBA Chapter of Correctional Officers were when CO tried to eliminate every single regular probation officer as part of their "10% budget exercise." Not a single peep. Even after Central Office sent a letter to the legislatrure crying, "mistake!". Yeah, right.

Almost evey single CO possibly losing their job will regain it. They have and always have had, a horredous turn-over poblem. One that continues even in these dire economic times. Difficulties in the interum? You bet. They may have to take a salary cut in the form of ecessive commute. And I am very sorry for it but, we have been losing positions since 2001 and will lose more this session, to include some possible live bodies in the form of front line supervisors and have been paid .49 cents a mile for state miles driven- no reimbursement for forced commute travel.

I do have to admit. On a state level, PBA hasn't done bad thus far in this legislative session. It's always on the individual chapter level where they fall short. I did watch the PBA presentation during the committee discussion on prison cuts. The PBA rep sucked in his rebuttal. Their problem starts at the PBA level as always did ours.

I think much of this may be stalled for another year possibly but I guaratee you that new private prison will open after this budget year for sure. My guess is the CO's at any closed institution would commute up to 80 miles at least to go to another institution and then you always get a few that will move to the new private place for a promotion and a little bigger pay check but without the same bebefits.

03-27-2010, 01:02 AM
how are you watching it , is it streamlined and we can see it .4tmcj8n

CPT Aubrey
03-27-2010, 01:12 AM
Same way. Watched it on the home computer while flexing.

What struck me was how the PBA rep knowtowed to Senator Alexander, almost apologizing to him giving him accolades for previous support.

What I also saw was a disjointed rebuttal, weak in any kind of passion.

It's obvious. They have a contract to build based on previous projections.

Can't remember the Senator's name but he asked if there was a proviso in the contract language that asked if the budget failed to fund it, the contract was void? Pretty damning.

The other funny thing. they are closing a state run facility in Santa Rosa County only to open a private prison in Santa Rosa County.

Is Alexander term limited? Don't know, but it would be an easy out for Senator Crist. What campaign contributions have both received?

All too fishy. Especially given PBA's bullshit rebuttal.

03-27-2010, 02:27 AM
Just my thoughts, in order for this not to happen PBA has to actually buy back the positions with other monies found. I have this stinkin feeling they will find the money at the PO expense , and give up our special risk. I can not buy that PBA will not throw us under the bus. I don't want anyone losing their jobs, but dang the hits keep coming to us, the redheaded step child. Was our pres there. Sadly if not for email I would not know anything. has anyone received a hot sheet from our leader on any of this.

03-27-2010, 02:25 PM
Four Republican state senators have raised more than $600,000 in the last two weeks for a political committee that is spending at least some of its money to combat fellow Republican Sen. Alex Villalobos. The Committee for Florida Justice Reform, a so-called 527 group formed after the end of the lawmaking session in May, reported raising $613,000 from Aug. 1 through Aug 10, according to its latest report. Its Web site purports to be for furthering civil litigation reforms, but its organizers also seem to be interested in political payback. The senators behind the committee are Mike Haridopolos of Indiatlantic, Mike Bennett of Bradenton, Jeff Atwater of North Palm Beach, and J.D. Alexander of Lake Wales. The groups cutting the biggest checks to the committee include $35,000 from the New Hollywood Greyhound Track; $25,000 from Jacksonville Greyhound Racing; $25,000 from Palm Beach Kennel Club; $50,000 from Florida Realtors; $25,000 from the Geo Group, one of two companies that contracts to run Florida’s private prisons; and $60,000 from ManorCare, an Ohio-based nursing home company.

These are two slimy dudes they are in bed with GEO

03-27-2010, 03:35 PM
Four Republican state senators have raised more than $600,000 in the last two weeks for a political committee that is spending at least some of its money to combat fellow Republican Sen. Alex Villalobos. The Committee for Florida Justice Reform, a so-called 527 group formed after the end of the lawmaking session in May, reported raising $613,000 from Aug. 1 through Aug 10, according to its latest report. Its Web site purports to be for furthering civil litigation reforms, but its organizers also seem to be interested in political payback. The senators behind the committee are Mike Haridopolos of Indiatlantic, Mike Bennett of Bradenton, Jeff Atwater of North Palm Beach, and J.D. Alexander of Lake Wales. The groups cutting the biggest checks to the committee include $35,000 from the New Hollywood Greyhound Track; $25,000 from Jacksonville Greyhound Racing; $25,000 from Palm Beach Kennel Club; $50,000 from Florida Realtors; $25,000 from the Geo Group, one of two companies that contracts to run Florida’s private prisons; and $60,000 from ManorCare, an Ohio-based nursing home company.

These are two slimy dudes they are in bed with GEO

There you go. :lol:

03-27-2010, 10:04 PM
I thought Sentaor Bennett was a good guy.

03-31-2010, 02:06 AM
Appears the PBA strategy of backing Republicans is working well.

03-31-2010, 11:33 PM
Gee, how did you like the compromise today?

Close down dorms, let the Department fill Blackwater from various prisons throughout the state using natural turn-over? Cost savings any one? All the while decimating vacant positions.

At the same time, privatize more Work Release?

And when asked if this foretold the future of privatization of prisons? Probation ain't far behind if not in front next year. Remember the effort to eliminate all of regular probation until their hands were caught in the proverbial cookie jar?

Talk around, walk around.

Man, if you can't see the writing on the wall, I don't know who can. They've gotten around all the public budget postings on the Florida Web by submitting amendments to bills at the last moment, none going through the committee process.

Alexander was friends with Samson. Samson is a proven thief. Samson was Rubio's chosen and Crist ignored all. They have disregarded a grand jury like they're kings and your surfs.

We need to take the tiger by the tail and bite it off.

03-31-2010, 11:37 PM
And you guys are still paying PBA money??? How funny :lol: :lol:

CPT Aubrey
04-03-2010, 01:04 AM
CO's? You need to wake up and smell the coffee.

For years a gravy train of simply existing has been built off the backs of criminals. Some of them were ****ing criminals, other unlucky others... ah well, caught in a system you didn't really care much about. Your job? Bring 'em in and protect the public.

When folks figured out what you do could generate profit? Well, you're screwed.

Right now, there's enough politcal pull to support you.

When dollars and cents argue against you, the PBA, God nor Jesus will be able to protect communities like Sneads.

You will be sold down the river like probation officers.

You doubt me? Since 2000 we've been protecting you with empty positions. You haven't had to worry about us, and we wondered why all the Correctional hits have been targeted at us.

Well, when DOC and the union got caught with their hand in the cookie jar (i.e., the 10% budget exercise targeting solely probation officers), we fought back. They had no choice but to point the finger at you.

Mcneil knew position losses were coming. So did the PBA. They both pointed the legislature in the probation direction. Problem is? We've been cut to the bone.

Now, it's your turn.

Next year, when all of the stimulus money runs out maybe PBA will realize that their union ain't a disparate group full of individual chapters.

Sorry, Too late.

04-03-2010, 11:51 AM
COTTAGE INDUSTRY: NO OTHER STATE IN THE UNION HAS A PRISON IN EVERY COUNTY. SOME 2 MAYBE MORE! THE MERE FACT THAT THEY ARE ARGUING THAT A TOWN WILL DISAPPEAR BECAUSE A PRISON IS CLOSED IS INSANE. THE ANSWER IS EASY BUT TO GET THERE TAKES BALLS. EDUCATED OR REMOVE THE JUDGES THAT SEND EVERY TOM **** AND JANE TO PRISON FOR DWLS/R or FELONY TRASH DUMPING AND....! IN OUR COUNTY EVERY SINGLE VOP/VOCC IS LOCKED UP WITH NO BOND FOR 3 TO 5 MONTHS BEFORE IT IS RESOLVED. NEED I SAY COMING TO TERM AND OWING $200 IN COURT COSTS SHOULD NOT GET YOU 5 MONTHS IN JAIL WHILE WAITING FOR JUSTICE. EVERY SINGLE DAY THIS INSANITY TAKES PLACE. PRISONS NEED TO GO. AT LEAST 1/2 OF THEM ARE NOT NEEDED WITH REENTRY (BULLSHIT). AT LEAST 1/2 OF THEM ARE NOT NEEDED WITH PRE ENTRY. INTELLIGENCE BEFORE PRISON NOT DURING OR AFTER. FLORIDA NEEDS TO CLOSE 1/2 THE PRISONS AND IF ANY THING HAVE ....SUPER PRISONS...at half the expense!!!