PDA

View Full Version : Dept. Of Juvenile Justice

03-22-2010, 10:39 PM
I know this isnt the correct forum but there is no sub-category for DJJ. Could anyone give me some info on this Agency? such as training, uniforms, ect. Are detention officers allowed off-duty carry?

Thank you and stay safe!

03-23-2010, 12:10 AM
I know this isnt the correct forum but there is no sub-category for DJJ. Could anyone give me some info on this Agency? such as training, uniforms, ect. Are detention officers allowed off-duty carry?

Thank you and stay safe!

I think right now DJJ detention gets special risk but their probation doesn't. The pay is pretty bad there even compared to DOC but if you are looking to just get started that might be a good idea and then you can switch over to another agency after a year or so. Not sure on the off duty carry. You might need a permit for that with DJJ.

03-23-2010, 06:13 PM
DJJ Detention officers do not qualify for special risk retirement at present although there have been efforts to try and obtain it. DJJ Detention officers are not permitted to carry any weapons, on or off duty. There is a very small branch of DJJ employees called Youth Custody Officers who are actual sworn LE and carry a side-arm.

05-22-2010, 09:30 PM
By the end of summer 2010, the Youth Custody Officers will be a thing of the past. DJJ has eliminated the position, and will leave juvenile warrants up to local agencies.

05-22-2010, 10:02 PM
By the end of summer 2010, the Youth Custody Officers will be a thing of the past. DJJ has eliminated the position, and will leave juvenile warrants up to local agencies.

Where will the kids be held then ?

05-24-2010, 12:59 AM

Where will the kids be held then ?In the same places the kids are currently held, i.e. usually in DJJ detention centers and sometimes in local county jails if the juvenile's charges have been filed in adult court.

Your question seems to indicate that you haven't followed the thread completely.

DJJ Juvenile Detention Officers (JCO's) work at the detention centers where juveniles are usually held for relatively short periods of time (21 days) pending disposition of charges. There are approximately 2100 JCO's statewide. I do not believe there are any significant reductions of JCO's pending.

DJJ Youth Custody Officers (YCO's) were a very small group of certified law enforcement officers employed by DJJ for the specific purpose of serving juvenile warrants, apprehending juvenile absconders and juvenile probation violators. I believe there were only 13 YCO's statewide at the height of the program. There are significantly fewer currently. I believe only 5. By the end of summer, the entire program will be a thing of the past.