PDA

View Full Version : Animals in cars

03-20-2010, 01:04 AM
What is the law regarding animals in cars? If it is cold weather like we have been having is it illegal to leave your dog in the car to RUN into a store for 5 minutes or less 10 minutes TOPS. If it is hot the windows need to be rolled down some correct? LEO's only please I only want professional and informed answers from those who deal with it everyday. Thank you.

03-22-2010, 01:25 PM
I dont think there is an actual law on this topic. If there IS, its news to me. I think, if anything, it might fall under animal cruelty. In my opinion it all hinges on the totality of the circumstances. Is it 95 and a bright sunny day??? Is it 72???? Is the animal in distress?? Are the windows partially open??? I know the FD likes to knock the windows out. I have only been involved in 3 of these calls. 1 was a cool day (about 65) so there was no issue. One other was fairly warm......mid 80s...but the animal was in no distress and even had a travel bowl with water in the back (a Suburban) and when FD wanted to knock the window out, i told them if they did I wasnt doing a report and the dog was THEIR headache....they decided NOT to do it......the 3rd was similar ....80s, overcast, cracked windows....dog not in distress, and the owner came out as the FD was about to pop the window.

Bottom line......Leave Bowser home if you have to stop. Or leave the car running and lock the doors, and use the spare key you carry in your purse or wallet anyway to get back in.

03-22-2010, 03:52 PM
I dont think there is an actual law on this topic. If there IS, its news to me. I think, if anything, it might fall under animal cruelty. In my opinion it all hinges on the totality of the circumstances. Is it 95 and a bright sunny day??? Is it 72???? Is the animal in distress?? Are the windows partially open??? I know the FD likes to knock the windows out. I have only been involved in 3 of these calls. 1 was a cool day (about 65) so there was no issue. One other was fairly warm......mid 80s...but the animal was in no distress and even had a travel bowl with water in the back (a Suburban) and when FD wanted to knock the window out, i told them if they did I wasnt doing a report and the dog was THEIR headache....they decided NOT to do it......the 3rd was similar ....80s, overcast, cracked windows....dog not in distress, and the owner came out as the FD was about to pop the window.

Bottom line......Leave Bowser home if you have to stop. Or leave the car running and lock the doors, and use the spare key you carry in your purse or wallet anyway to get back in.

There isn't a specific statute, you're right. However, this issue is covered by most city/county ordinances and so they differ from city to city and county to county. What may be acceptable in one city may lead to a city ordinance violation in another.
Also, I wouldn't suggest taking the advice of leaving the car running--it's actually a citable offense under FSS 316.1975

03-22-2010, 04:23 PM
Palm Beach County Ordinance...
Sec. 4-24. Animal care; manner of keeping.
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person keeping an animal to fail to provide for that animal:
(1) Clean, sanitary, safe and humane conditions;
(2) Sufficient quantities of appropriate food daily;
(3) Proper air ventilation and circulation;
(4) Adequate quantities of visibly clean and fresh water available at all times; and
(5) Medical attention and/or necessary veterinary care when it is sick, diseased or injured. Upon request by the division, written proof of veterinary care must be provided.
(b) It shall be unlawful for any person keeping an animal to fail to provide shelter for that animal.
(1) Shelter for dogs, cats and small domestic animals must:
a. Provide adequate protection from the cold and heat. When the outdoor temperature falls below forty (40) degrees F (four and one-half (4.5) degrees C), all cats, small domestic animals and those dogs that cannot tolerate such temperatures without stress or discomfort (i.e., short-haired breeds, sick, aged, young or infirm), must be moved indoors or provided adequate heating to maintain temperature above forty (40) degrees F (four and one-half (4.5) degrees C) range. When the outdoor temperature rises above ninety (90) degrees F (thirty-two and one-half (32.5) degrees C), then adequate ventilation must be provided such as exhaust fans or air conditioning;
b. Provide protection from the direct rays of the sun and the direct effect of wind and rain;
c. Provide a wind break and rain break;
d. Contain clean, dry, bedding material; and
e. Provide protection from the elements at all times.
(2) Shelter for equine, bovine, ovine and porcine normally maintained in outdoor areas must provide protection from direct sunlight.
(c) It shall be unlawful for any person maintaining equine or ovine to fail to keep hooves trimmed so as to prevent lameness and extreme overgrowth causing deformities.
(d) Animals maintained on a tether must be in an area free of objects that may cause entanglements. All tethers must be a minimum of six (6) feet in length and longer if appropriate for the breed (i.e., Irish Wolfhound, Borzoi, Great Dane, St. Bernard, etc.). Choke type or prong type collars shall be used only while the animal is under the handler's direct control. Between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., animals shall not be on a tether outdoors.
(e) Animals must be given appropriate daily exercise.
(f) No humane slaughter of animals as defined in Florida Statutes, §§ 828.22 and/or 828.23 shall be done within earshot or view of the public.
(g) It shall be unlawful for any person to tease or molest any animal.
(h) It shall be unlawful for any person to leave an animal in any unattended motor vehicle or transport an animal in any motor vehicle without adequate ventilation, sanitary conditions, or otherwise under such circumstance as to prevent the animal from being subjected to extreme temperatures which adversely affect its health and safety.
(i) It shall be unlawful to transport any animal on a public road in any vehicle unless the animal is safely and humanely restrained (at a minimum by a harness with double tethering for dogs) so that the animal is unable to jump or fall out of the vehicle.
(j) Animals shall not be allowed on any median or in any roadway, highway or street intersection for any purpose other than crossing same.
(k) Any person trapping an animal must:
(1) Use a humane trap;
(2) Provide protection from the direct rays of the sun and direct effect of wind, rain and irrigation/sprinkler system;
(3) Provide fresh water in the trap;
(4) Remove the trapped animal within twenty-four (24) hours of capture. All trapped dogs and cats must be returned to their rightful owner, or to a governmentally operated animal shelter or humane society in the county; and
(5) Make every attempt to locate the offspring of any lactating/nursing mother.
(Ord. No. 98-22, § 24, 6-16-98; Ord. No. 03-029, § 1, 8-19-03)

03-23-2010, 03:12 AM
Thank you - good post.

03-23-2010, 05:55 AM
What an F'ed up society we live in...

mistreat woofie in any of the above ways and we will fine ya...

not raise your kids right or in a positive manner (short of Child Abuse) and WE do nothing....

Seems wrong.

03-26-2010, 11:37 AM
Thank you for your help; I do appreciate it. I had someone telling me I would get arrested (thrown under the jail were the exact words used) for leaving the dog in the car PERIOD!!! But is sounds like if you just use common sense you'll be ok. I looked but was not able to find the statutes so thank you for posting them for me. Y'all have been a big help.

03-26-2010, 12:18 PM
Thank you for your help; I do appreciate it. I had someone telling me I would get arrested (thrown under the jail were the exact words used) for leaving the dog in the car PERIOD!!! But is sounds like if you just use common sense you'll be ok. I looked but was not able to find the statutes so thank you for posting them for me. Y'all have been a big help.

read it again, you cant leave an animal in an unattended motor vehicle at any time. yes, you can be arrested for it.

"(h) It shall be unlawful for any person to leave an animal in any unattended motor vehicle"

the references to ventilation and such are when transporting an animal

03-26-2010, 01:32 PM
I dont mean to make lite of this topic, but people do stupid things. I, as a LEO, am not going to bother someone for leaving their dog in a vehicle for a few minutes on a day when its only in the 60s or 70s. If I get called to this (as I have a few times) I will take a look at the big picture. How hot is it outside, is the dog in obvious distress??? Are the windows partially open??? Water???

Naturally, if its 90 + there is a problem, even for a few minutes :evil: ....But, even if it IS a something you can be cited for, I would NOT give someone a citation for leaving the vehicle running with teh A/C on AND LOCKED ! To me, it shows a good faith effort to keep poochie comfortable. Im just not gonna do it. J :cop: :cop: :cop:

guest1001
07-10-2010, 05:10 PM
Naturally, if its 90 + there is a problem, even for a few minutes :evil: ....But, even if it IS a something you can be cited for, I would NOT give someone a citation for leaving the vehicle running with teh A/C on AND LOCKED ! To me, it shows a good faith effort to keep poochie comfortable. Im just not gonna do it. J :cop: :cop: :cop:
+1

Leaving windows partially open down here in the jungle does nothing for pets to keep them cool...Even in the winter when it is in the 70's we still have a nasty blazing sun during the day.

08-10-2011, 06:51 PM
Hi! Order Cheap Amoxil Online (http://amoxill500.WebStarts.com/index.html) is used to treat infections due to organisms and that are susceptible to the effects of amoxicillin. Common infections that Amoxil Online (http://amoxil500.jigsy.com) is used for include infections of the middle ear, tonsils, Order Cheap Amoxil (http://amoxil500.posterous.com/order-cheap-amoxil), throat, larynx (laryngitis), bronchi (bronchitis), lungs (pneumonia), urinary tract, and skin. It also is used to treat gonorrhea.