PDA

View Full Version : Hiring a Deputy Cheif

03-04-2010, 01:37 PM
We are hiring a Deputy Chief

LET THE GAMES BEGN!!!

03-06-2010, 01:48 AM
Who are you kidding? We're not hiring a Deputy Chief we are hiring a replacement for the current Chief. As soon as Bartolatta has his "plant" in the DC spot he will stop playing nice with Abbott and send him packing. Anyone who thinks they are going to hire from within the Sarasota Police Department is smoking crack (much like the ladies of the North Trail that the City Manager picks up in his free time). The only thing Abbott has to look foward to his helping hang his photo next to the rest of the Ex-Chiefs in the new building. Wait till they open Captain rank to the rest of the world, ask Mic they are already talking about it. If you can't be Chief, you can't be Deputy Chief, and you can't be a Captain, why work for the City Police Department? The Great Retirement? Nope.... Lifetime health benefits? Nope...... Career Advancement? Nope..... New car? Only if it's a Prius.......Look at CID that's the only new cars they are buying for those guys. All thanks to the City Manager. He has put a hold on any new purchase orders for new police package vehicles to explore the purchase of hybrid vehicles for Patrol, ask Mark about it at Beneva. Bartolatta is now in the driver's seat of the SPD, and since he hates cops, he's gonna drive us right out of business.

03-29-2010, 01:16 PM
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬The job posting says Deputy Police Chief. It does not say “City Manager’s Plant” or “Nominee Replacement for Current Chief”. I’m not member of the current command structure of the Sarasota Police Department. Everything I now know about the Sarasota Police Department I’ve learned through research. Bear with me for this little review. Here’s what I’ve learned:

Morale is probably at a historic low

• The Commission and Administrator down-sized the department because of the economy.

• Benefits and retirement plans will face modifications

• Low career development and promotion opportunities

• Command staff that makes poor leadership decisions

• Poor community relations

• The media is perceived to be hostile toward the department

• A police advisory panel with an agenda driven mandate

Here’s why: A group of leaders made some bad choices. Two officers made stupid choices. The rationalizations of the actions taken as a result of the incident have been delivered by the dump truck load. Since then you’ve lived under a microscope, and as a department, you’ve deserved it. But, I’ll also admit that kind of scrutiny is uncomfortable.

Anyone worth their salt who considers applying for this position will research the circumstances surrounding the position vacancy and the environment within the department.

I applied for the position the day after it was posted, March 4. I want to be the Deputy Police Chief; not the City Manager’s Plant or the Nominee Replacement Chief. I want to come to Sarasota and work with a good group of police officers who collectively have hit a bump in the road. I want to help you get over that bump and move forward on a new path that will fix all of the problems we’ve both talked about. I’ll bring some new ideas that if accepted will advance community relations, restore confidence in the department, increase career development and greatly improve morale.

Here’s what’s important remember, your self-esteem as a police officer is your responsibility. You have to say to yourself “I set the example-I take personal responsibility for public service.” Then, you have to live that commitment everyday. You do the best that you can, following the law and the training with your head held up, you car clean, your uniform sharp. You say “Yes, sir” and “No, ma’am” and you take some initiative to reach out to the community and build a relationship or two that’s built on trust, respect, and taking responsibility for solving a problem. You use the department policy as a tool. It’s not written in stone, and it doesn’t cover instance; it’s written to be a guide…but it’s also written in permanent ink, so remember it’s meant to be followed.

Remember most of all that you took an oath to enforce the law and at the same time think “I set the example”. This means in your conduct, on and off the job, make certain that your actions are within the same bounds you expect others to act within. That’s what got this whole mess to boil over.If you want career advancement, set the example. If you want a positive image, set the example. If you want the police department to have independent discretion, set the example. If you want good community relations, set the example.

I’m the person you want to be the deputy chief and here’s why…I won’t be anybody’s boy. I won’t be a plant, and I’m know my place. That means that I would be the deputy police chief. It means that I won’t say what they want to hear, it means I’ll say what they need to hear. I don’t know what kind of leaders the command staff members are, but their leadership, all of them, is under scrutiny. I have the experience of “many times at bat” in one of the largest agencies in my state in a highly visible, highly responsible position where I was well known for being pragmatic and a bit to frank, taking responsibility and setting the example.

So, I’ll close by saying to you that it’s past time for you to accept some of the responsibility for changing the paradigm. When you have to eat a turd, you don’t nibble. You do what you have to do and get it over with and move forward. Quit being defensive and turn your anger into motivation. Take personal responsibility and set and example. You’ll find it’s contagious.

I hope to be working with you soon.

03-29-2010, 04:35 PM
Oh boy, just what we need. Another incompetent egomaniac with poor grammar. Hopefully you will take a remedial english class before you accept the DC job. ( re: "I'm not member of the current command structure....", "Bear with me" did you mean bare with me? "Morale is at a historic low", did you mean that morale is at an historic low? "Here's whats important remember") I could go on and on but what's the point? You are just another incompetent douchebag that thinks they are the great solution to all of the worlds ills. You have no idea what the problems of this department are. Do us all a favor and just move on to some other agency that will believe your line of crap. The only turd around here is Bobo and his band of merry minions (see Marlon). Oh, and maybe you if you get the job. By the way, if you are so proud of yourself, don't hide behind an anonymous screen name, identify yourself. Friggin idiot.

Old Lion
03-29-2010, 05:55 PM
From: www.wordnetweb.princeton.edu (http://www.wordnetweb.princeton.edu)

Definitions of bear-

behave: behave in a certain manner; "She carried herself well"; "he bore himself with dignity"; "They conducted themselves well during these difficult times".
digest: put up with something or somebody unpleasant; "I cannot bear his constant criticism"; "The new secretary had to endure a lot of unprofessional remarks"; "he learned to tolerate the heat"; "She stuck out two years in a miserable marriage".

Definitions of bare-

Completely unclothed; "bare bodies"; "naked from the waist up"; "a nude model"
bare(a): lacking in amplitude or quantity; "a bare livelihood"; "a scanty harvest"; "a spare diet".
Unsheathed: not having a protective covering; "unsheathed cables"; "a bare blade";
lacking its natural or customary covering; "a bare hill"; "bare feet".

“A historic low”, “An historic low”; tomato or tomatoe…it means the same thing. “A” is the modifier of “low”; “historic" is the adjective. In the context written it is meant to mean the singluar, all time low.

“Here’s” –contraction of “here is”…”What’s” –contraction of “what is”. Modern slang, yes, but a correct manner of speaking and writing.

A remedial english class…I’ll think about it if you will.

The problems in the police department are very apparent. Thanks for the example.

I’m Wesley Smith.

03-30-2010, 02:28 AM
Too funny! At least this applicant is a legend in his own mind.