PDA

View Full Version : MERGER TO COUNTY

02-18-2010, 09:46 PM
I REALLY DO THINK THAT IN LESS THEN 5YRS OUR DEPT WILL BE TAKEN OVER BY THE SHERIFFS OFFICE :evil: OUR SMALL CITY CANNOT AFFORD OUR DEPT. TIS SAME THING PALYS OUT YEARLY IN FLORIDA AND THE SHERIFFS OFFICE TAKE OVER THE SMALL CITIES. WE ARE HAVING NEW GUYS NOT WANTING TO WORK FOR US CURRENTLY AND GOING TO THE SHERIFF OFFICE. BIGGER BUDGET MORE TOYS DONT PAY INT YOUR PENSION MORE MILES TO WORK MORE UNITS ETC... :evil:

02-19-2010, 01:37 AM
It's already been happening incrementaly for the last 30 years:

County took over city parks.
. [/*:m:bqssxovd]
County took over city fire department.
SSO took over SPD 911 operators/operations.
City commissioners are now discussing getting rid of SPD's pension system. That's the last step before pulling the rug out.[/*:m:bqssxovd]

I think we all know that it's going to happen, but what we don't know is:
1. when
2. how
3. and what will we be?

Will we be like JSO (an elected sheriff who runs a police department)? Will we be like Miami-Dade Police (an appointed director who runs a police department)? Will the SSO simply "take over" operations and remain a traditional sheriff department? If SSO takes over SPD, then what about VPD and NPPD? Or how about LBKPD? Will they also get absorbed i.e. if the big one goes, then do the rest follow like dominoes?

02-19-2010, 04:56 AM
TIME TO WAKE UP!!! NEW ADMINISTRATION IS CLUELESS...ASSISTANT CHIEF IS LOST(LUIS C.), THE CHIEF IS TRYING TO CONTROL HIM. CONSOLIDATION IS THE ONLY ANSWER. ASST. CHIEF LUIS DOESNT EVEN KNOW HOW TO BALANCE A CHECK BOOK. HE IS NO LEADER, AND IS A CRY BABY. WATCH WHEN YOU GIVE HIM A LITTLE AUTHORITY - HIS CHARACTER WILL SHOW!!! YOU DRIVE A MAYOR AROUND AND HE GIVES YOU A POSITION OF LEADERSHIP??? THIS IS THE SIGN OF FAILURE. NEW ADMINISTRATION IN 2013, ANY BETS?

02-19-2010, 11:31 PM
Congratulations! You guys got what you wanted. Career Development at the cost of another officers career. Hope you get what you were looking for when you get off nights. Kicked out the NET Unit, a Traffic Officer, and a Dope Detective, just so everybody could have a turn.... Whatever happened to waiting your turn, or earning your position like the guys who are in those spots did? Management Rights, real nice, and great timing too! It was said that the needs of the many out weigh the needs of the few, so screw (a minimum of) five officers to make a few folks on nights happy. Not to single out nights but you don't see Day Shifters knocking down the doors to get into specialty units. Are the night guys aware of the fact that they all won't be getting off nights, since we all know thats the real issue here? Anyone for rotating Day/Night shifts? Yeah didn't think so......

This is the big Moral Booster that the Captains came up with? Numbers are below 50% for all activities, arrests, Fi's, traffic stops, etc. and you think it's because people can't get into specialty units? Really, seriously, are you that short sighted? You didn't seem that concerned with career development when you let Captain Spitler make NET a full permanent unit (which after doing away with CRT and the two career development positions in traffic, NET spots were the only career development positions left at SPD). No one batted an eye and let that happen because those guys "deserved" those positions, so I guess those same guys now "deserve" to be kicked out of their positions? They must have really screwed up? No? They are 70% of the arrests made in Patrol? Damn good thing they got booted, making everybody look bad.....

Maybe the fact that the Chief came out and said he was a "Moron" or rather made "Moronic Decisions" (which basically is the same thing) and the fact that he has promoted his little squad of moron-ettes to command positions might have something to do with the morale problems. Deputy Chief/Patrol Capt: X-15'd by the county (set free by SPD Lt.), CID Capt.: implicit in the Guatamalan dishwasher fiasco/payoff (not disciplined), and Capt. Never Around (also know as "Whats that guys name again?" or "Who's that guy?"). Won't even get into the Lt's (Sleepy/Dopey, Chicken Little, Law Suit, and ________)

When two year officers believe that their Sergeants and Lt.'s have no idea what they are doing you might have a bigger problem than just morale. Oh wait maybe we can have another "workshop" to make everbody warm fuzzy happytime. The City Manager made approximately $200,000 last year yet he is crying from the rooftop of his Bird Key mansion that the City is sooooo poor that they can't give us the pensions we were promised when we were hired. We have a City appointed panel of activists looking for complaints to the extent that they want to use LETF money to have a picnic so more people can come down and have some free food and complain on the cops, anyone want to volunteer the dunking booth?

1. Leadership has proclaimed itself to be MORONIC.
2. City Management has bashed the Police Department at every opportunity in the press. City Manager is openly anti-Police. (Where's Susan Stanton when you need him or her? She or He would give Bartolatta a piece of his or her mind)
3. City is reducing or ending our pension system. (Medical Benefits to be reviewed in March, read: "Bend Over and Spread 'Em)
4. Arbitrarily removing Officers from earned positions, so that other officers "can have a turn", managements rights (you wouldn't understand, Simpletons.....)
5. New building has so many problems that there aren't even enough lockers for officers to store their own equipment (who needs a locker buddy? On the plus side, at least all the Captains have showers, sadly they only need one since they will all be scrubbing Car 1's back) Sgt. Forth needs Lt. pay times 2 to unscrew that place, another Spitler project gone bad......
6. Recruits leaving to go to other agencies due to problems inside SPD (Palmetto PD, seriously PALMETTO PD???????)
7. Multiple senior officers entering drop, or outright leaving, to ensure they at least get some pension. Future Pensions to be supplemented by future Publix bagging/Walmart greeting jobs.
8. Near total work stopage, (Seriously Chief I know you go home at 1700 but try turning on the radio at night and listening, the only thing you'll hear is your own deep seductive manly breathing)
9. Susan Chapman and her merry band of malcontents looking to jam up the PD for anything within the last 30 years......

You have created the problems that we now have and the responsiblity falls on your doorstep to do something about it. Giving the shaft to the guys that work the hardest for you is not an appropriate response, read: Biting the hand that feeds you.

If all it takes to get what you want around here is to cry about it then WHHAAAAAAAAA, I want a raise and to have off Fourth of July.......... besides I can't go to the SSO, Green makes me look fat and doesn't match my eyes, so turn this place around while you still can or Bonner's gonna be sitting in that nice new chair in that nice big office in that nice new building.

02-20-2010, 12:20 AM
Recruits leaving to go to other agencies due to problems inside SPD (Palmetto PD, seriously PALMETTO PD???????)

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :lol: I read your entire post, but THAT was the funnest yet!!!! lololololol

02-20-2010, 12:24 AM
Amen brother. The chickens have finally come home to roost. This is the end product when you promote folks who were marginal patrolmen. And I stress marginal. My advice to anybody thinking of coming here to work is to run like a wild dog away from this place. This department is being systematically destroyed by the birdbrains at the top. God help us.

02-21-2010, 03:52 PM
Amen brother. The chickens have finally come home to roost. This is the end product when you promote folks who were marginal patrolmen. And I stress marginal. My advice to anybody thinking of coming here to work is to run like a wild dog away from this place. This department is being systematically destroyed by the birdbrains at the top. God help us.

you all need to just migrate to the SSO now!

02-23-2010, 02:25 AM
Susan Chapman.....Maybe she would help you sink BONNER. Breakstone for Chief !

beatcop
02-24-2010, 03:53 AM
After 25 years with SPD I have never seen the morale this bad. At one time SPD was the place to be. Now betwwen Peter Rabbitt, The City Manager and racist fat street thug Freddy Atkins SPD is becoming one of the worst departments in the Tampa Bay area. The problem has now become even worse with the new career development positions. In order to apease a few malcontent winners on nights they have angered the rest of the department. The future looks even worse with the leadership that will be running the department in a few years.
I dont blame anyone that jumps ship because we are going down fast.

02-28-2010, 12:38 PM
I AM LOOKING FOREWARD TO A METRO AGENCY IT WILL BE AN EVEN BIGGER SCSO THE LEAD AGENCY WILL BE EVEN BIGGER AND STRONGER I SEE NO PROBLEM WITH THIS.. LOOKING FORWARD TO HAVING A BIGGER BUDGET BETTER EQUIPTMENT AND A STRONG UNION.... GREEN FOR ME!!! :cop: :D

02-28-2010, 01:35 PM
You have no idea what will happen if they roll us into the county.First they will not hire all of us, they would only use 3 to 4 deputys to cover the whole city. So where do you think all of the 170 sworn people in this agency would go.

If you beleive this is going to happen maybe you should jump ship now. And maybe you should pick up the amount of work you are doing, I dont think they will hire a bunch of slakers.There is not enough room for all of us over there.

This agency can still be saved, we need to get rid of the the city manager and take back control of our own department. We need a command staff that will stand up to city hall like they used to.

The citizens of the city have no idea what is really going on here, I have talked to so of them and there are outraged that the city would even think about cutting our pension. We need an all out blitz when the city comes to a desision on what they are going to do.

Just keep in mind they have done nothing yet, every thing is still the same.lets not have a knee jerk reaction like the command staff has.Lets keep our minds clear so we can react in a fast and swift mannor when it's time.

Remember walk down the hill and screw them all instead of running down the hill and just screwing just one. We can not let the city devide us on any of the matters, we need to stand together, or we will lose.

Stay safe and take care of each other on the road. Gods speed :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

02-28-2010, 07:13 PM
You have no idea what will happen if they roll us into the county.First they will not hire all of us, they would only use 3 to 4 deputys to cover the whole city. So where do you think all of the 170 sworn people in this agency would go.

If you beleive this is going to happen maybe you should jump ship now. And maybe you should pick up the amount of work you are doing, I dont think they will hire a bunch of slakers.There is not enough room for all of us over there.

This agency can still be saved, we need to get rid of the the city manager and take back control of our own department. We need a command staff that will stand up to city hall like they used to.

The citizens of the city have no idea what is really going on here, I have talked to so of them and there are outraged that the city would even think about cutting our pension. We need an all out blitz when the city comes to a desision on what they are going to do.

Just keep in mind they have done nothing yet, every thing is still the same.lets not have a knee jerk reaction like the command staff has.Lets keep our minds clear so we can react in a fast and swift mannor when it's time.

Remember walk down the hill and screw them all instead of running down the hill and just screwing just one. We can not let the city devide us on any of the matters, we need to stand together, or we will lose.

Stay safe and take care of each other on the road. Gods speed :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

SUCK IT UP BOYS - YOU WILL BE TAKEN OVER BY US IN THE FUTURE.

02-28-2010, 09:35 PM

After the sun goes down in downtown Sarasota, take a look at all the empty condos and apartments in all the new highrises that were built during the building boom. Count the number of condos that have lights on. Some of those new buildings have ZERO lights on because there isn't anyone living there. The companies who own those buildings are going to go into bankruptcy. In some of the buildings, there might only be one or two tenants living there (our of 25 to 100 total units, depending on the building). Those one or two tenants can't afford the maintenance fees for the ENTIRE building. Some buildings can't even afford to have trash removal anymore because not enough tenants live there!!! :roll:

Next, take a look at all the homes that are going into foreclosure in the suburban neighborhoods of the city. There are some streets with 1/3rd (or more) of the homes going into foreclosure. Between the empty condos in downtown Sarasota and all the suburban homes going into foreclosure, exactly how is the city going to maintain a 175 officer police department? :roll:

Before the housing bust and before the economic bust, I asked Chief Abbott if the SSO and SPD would ever merge -- and he said, "Only if economics forces it." Well, what the hell do you think is driving:
1) the abolishment of the SPD pension system and
2) suggestions that SSO and SPD should merge (that would save the city millions/billions).

We have an economic crisis of biblical proportions that is still unfolding.

03-01-2010, 06:33 PM
Then lets stop talking about it and be done with it.

03-02-2010, 12:16 AM
Word is we are hiring like mad..We just put out a memo for 3 new FTO positions. What does that tell you.
You all are correct. If we merge, you're talking about the city being broke up into maybe 5-6 additional "ZONES."

There is no mathematical way we could bring all 175 of you over to us.
Like they said about NPPD about 10 years ago, those officers would not be guaranteed jobs. They would have to re-apply like any new applicant.

Take my advise and get those apps in now. And don't forget we have that college requirement.

03-02-2010, 02:11 AM
Take my advise and get those apps in now. And don't forget we have that college requirement.
We don't have a college requirement for certified applicants. I took this from our website:

Must possess a High School Diploma or GED.

Must possess at least an Associates Degree or equivalent from an accredited college or university or military service with military contract completed and Honorable Discharge received (Form DD214 required).
It's posted here:
http://sarasotasheriff.org/job_deputy.asp

As far as the city zone breakdown goes, nobody knows and nobodys talked about it. It's too early. Whatever happens -- it will be based on how many tax dollars are available (without breaking the piggy bank).

03-03-2010, 03:06 AM
Before you folks at the SCSO get too puffed up rememebr that two of your last four sheriffs (Hardcastle and Balkwill) have faced formal criminal charges for crimes in office. It can take years to recover from a jerk like Balkwill and election time is always fun at any sheriff's department.

03-03-2010, 06:24 PM
Before you folks at the SCSO get too puffed up rememebr that two of your last four sheriffs (Hardcastle and Balkwill) have faced formal criminal charges for crimes in office. It can take years to recover from a jerk like Balkwill and election time is always fun at any sheriff's department.

If you guys come to work for us, you're in for a real treat because we have only the BEST supervision!!!!

CK courts aka Nero (http://www.livius.org/a/1/emperors/nero_mus_munchen.JPG) the smiling madman
RL spl ops aka baby Hitler (http://www.anthonygonzalez.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/hitler-youth.jpg) youth
KM ptl div aka Panama Noriega (http://www.dictatorofthemonth.com/Noriega/noriega6.jpg) the incompetent

Shape up or ship out!!! :shock:

03-06-2010, 11:59 AM
We ae losing money in budget losing details short spots these areteh early warning signs people wake up and be ready merger will happen just a matter of when :cry: