PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about the USSS?

02-11-2010, 10:25 PM
If anyone is thinking about a career in the U.S. Secret Service, I encourage you to check out the link below to "Best Places to Work." Type "secret service" in the box and it will tell you where the USSS ranks...it's not very high. Do your research into ANY agency before think about joining their ranks.

http://bestplacestowork.org/BPTW/about/

02-12-2010, 12:00 AM
Now it's a link. Click here: http://bestplacestowork.org/BPTW/about/

02-12-2010, 03:29 AM
If anyone is thinking about a career in the U.S. Secret Service, I encourage you to check out the link below to "Best Places to Work." Type "secret service" in the box and it will tell you where the USSS ranks...it's not very high. Do your research into ANY agency before think about joining their ranks.

"Not very high" is an understatement.

In the categories of "Family Friendly Culture and Benefits" and "Pay and Benefits" the Service is fourth from the bottom -- number 212 of 216.

How important is your family to you?

worfusa2008
02-17-2010, 01:21 AM
Nothing has changed in my 27+ years as a street hump Special Agent, and from talking to those still in the trenches 11 years later nothing ever will. For all their posturing as "family friendly", If The Bosses wanted you to have a personal life, they would issue it to you and log it in on your Property Card somewhere after handcuffs as," One - Life, Personal, Optional". Don't expect to get it back after you quit or retire. They will say that they have lost it, but in reality, they will return it to your ex-wife and her divorce lawyer. I miss the old days when we all stood together. Now, it seems to be us against the Suits. Young ladies and gentlemen, go somewhere where you and your family's contributions are appreciated. It's definitely not the USSS and the Department of Homeland Security.

atlhockeymom
02-19-2010, 06:09 AM
From a "wife's" point of view: remarks in the previous post were dead on. Join the ranks of the USSS but don't expect to have the intimate, close family life you always dreamed of. You will be absent at most of your kids' ballgames and birthday parties. The tooth fairy, Santa, and Easter Bunny WILL arrive whether you're home or not because you've chosen (hopefully) to marry a strong, independent, and secure woman as your life partner. If you remain the kind and considerate man she fell in love with, then the marriage will survive, but it will take a lot of "Honey, I'm sorry...and, it's just headquarters....I'm on rotation, I have to go....it'll be better in 3 or 4 years..." Be prepared to grovel--a lot, because she will be carrying the heavy load while you get the glory of being the prestigious Secret Agent Man, only to find out in the end that it's not as glorious as you once thought.

Theirs is a noble mission and the majority of agents are very intelligent, savvy and decent men. Are they truly "worthy of trust and confidence"? Let's hope so.

atlhockeymom
02-19-2010, 06:11 AM
From a "wife's" point of view: remarks in the previous post were dead on. Join the ranks of the USSS but don't expect to have the intimate, close family life you always dreamed of. You will be absent at most of your kids' ballgames and birthday parties. The tooth fairy, Santa, and Easter Bunny WILL arrive whether you're home or not because you've chosen (hopefully) to marry a strong, independent, and secure woman as your life partner. If you remain the kind and considerate man she fell in love with, then the marriage will survive, but it will take a lot of "Honey, I'm sorry...and, it's just headquarters....I'm on rotation, I have to go....it'll be better in 3 or 4 years..." Be prepared to grovel--a lot, because she will be carrying the heavy load while you get the glory of being the prestigious Secret Agent Man, only to find out in the end that it's not as glorious as you once thought.

Theirs is a noble mission and the majority of agents are very intelligent, savvy and decent men. Are they truly "worthy of trust and confidence"? Let's hope so.

02-19-2010, 10:25 PM
Regarding the comment about looking at the "Best Places to Work" rankings, I retired from the Secret Service and afterwards worked for the #6 ranked agency on the list, and there is no question that I would take the Secret Service over that agency any day! Despite any problems I had with the Secret Service over the years, when all is said and done, I'd do it again.

02-20-2010, 12:54 AM
Regarding the comment about looking at the "Best Places to Work" rankings, I retired from the Secret Service and afterwards worked for the #6 ranked agency on the list, and there is no question that I would take the Secret Service over that agency any day! Despite any problems I had with the Secret Service over the years, when all is said and done, I'd do it again.

I completely understand your position, however I strongly believe many of your former associates would not be joining you. It would be a difficult decision for many of us and a very easy decision for many others.

02-20-2010, 02:03 AM

You don't say why you didn't like the #6 agency as well. Could it have been because you came in as a supervisor there and were resented as an outsider by those who had spent a whole career in the agency?

Do you prefer USSS because you had more prestige among your friends as an USSS agent?

Give us some insight.

02-20-2010, 03:44 PM

You don't say why you didn't like the #6 agency as well. Could it have been because you came in as a supervisor there and were resented as an outsider by those who had spent a whole career in the agency?

Do you prefer USSS because you had more prestige among your friends as an USSS agent?

Give us some insight.

That is a very fair and valid question. Hopefully GuestSA will answer it.