PDA

View Full Version : "POLICE"?

01-25-2010, 08:58 PM
I saw a marked DEP SUV northbound on SR-9A today, and the markings on the side and rear said "POLICE." I thought they used to say "State Officer" or something like that. When and why the change?

01-26-2010, 03:24 AM
"Intergalactic enforcer making sure you paid park entry fee and keep your dogs on a leash" - wouldn't fit.

01-26-2010, 04:12 AM
I saw a marked DEP SUV northbound on SR-9A today, and the markings on the side and rear said "POLICE." I thought they used to say "State Officer" or something like that. When and why the change?

Decal shops charge by the letter. POLICE is half the price of STATE OFFICER. Every dime counts.

01-26-2010, 07:55 PM

Decal shops charge by the letter. POLICE is half the price of STATE OFFICER. Every dime counts.
Lordy, you HAVE to be a state employee with an answer like that. Good one.

01-26-2010, 10:03 PM
"Intergalactic enforcer making sure you paid park entry fee and keep your dogs on a leash" - wouldn't fit.

That's funny right there I don't care who you are!

01-27-2010, 12:39 AM
People recognize the word "Police" better than they do "State Officer." The fact is: DEP law enforcement officers ARE Police. 'Nuff said.

01-27-2010, 10:32 PM
People recognize the word "Police" better than they do "State Officer." The fact is: DEP law enforcement officers ARE Police. 'Nuff said.

Until crime happens....then they t39 to S.O. or P.D.

Block
01-28-2010, 01:12 AM
My observation is that DEP officers in the Jacksonville area always seem to be taking someone to jail. I would dare say I hear them on the radio arrest more people than FHP. However, I am not sure if they have CAD capability and may call everything in, so that may be why. Of course, I couldn't say how the JAX area DEP officers compare with the rest of the DEP officers in the state. I know I heard one arrest a DUI a few days ago and another arrest a habitual traffic offender the other day.

01-28-2010, 02:09 AM
My observation is that DEP officers in the Jacksonville area always seem to be taking someone to jail. I would dare say I hear them on the radio arrest more people than FHP. However, I am not sure if they have CAD capability and may call everything in, so that may be why. Of course, I couldn't say how the JAX area DEP officers compare with the rest of the DEP officers in the state. I know I heard one arrest a DUI a few days ago and another arrest a habitual traffic offender the other day.

JAX are far better than the most apparently. :evil:

01-28-2010, 02:22 PM

We do have CAD and only call in the Hinky Stuff over the radio.

B safe.

02-17-2010, 03:04 PM

Actually the term doesnt fit the statute. You are a Law Enforcement Officer. No where in their is word "POLICE" Just like the other state agencies. Then again No where in the Statute does it say FHP is a "State Trooper". I guess you could split hairs all day long. You say Apple they say Oranges.....Get it Oranges....Baaah Haaaa. Sounds like a whole bunch of Identity Crisis to me anyway. Besides the poor guy was only asking a question and you get all my badge is better than yours.. :devil: :evil:

03-15-2010, 02:24 AM
when did you all start making 10-50's outside of parks?

03-15-2010, 02:33 PM

When you can get away with it.

03-17-2010, 02:56 PM
When they gave us State Arrest power. I might get paid peanuts but that is one less thing to worry about. Were not the park service. Just lke you FDEP has more than one misson.

03-17-2010, 06:59 PM

We are not bound to the parks, we are "State Officers" which means we have "Statewide" authority. We stop people for violations just like any other Police Officer. Not sure why this is confusing or even someones concern. The parks are one of the areas we service, not our only customer. We serve the Citizens of this state anywhere in the state, not just in parks, just like Troopers, DOT Officers, Ag Officers, FWC Officers etc. We can enforce all state laws within the state of Florida.

03-17-2010, 09:09 PM

We are not bound to the parks, we are "State Officers" which means we have "Statewide" authority. We stop people for violations just like any other Police Officer. Not sure why this is confusing or even someones concern. The parks are one of the areas we service, not our only customer. We serve the Citizens of this state anywhere in the state, not just in parks, just like Troopers, DOT Officers, Ag Officers, FWC Officers etc. We can enforce all state laws within the state of Florida.

You're right about having authority.....now knowing what to do when you find it is another story.

03-17-2010, 09:40 PM

Oh ok. It doesn't make much sense to have the 1 DEP officer for the State Park, 10 miles away making traffic stops in the city though. :?

03-18-2010, 02:13 AM

Oh ok. It doesn't make much sense to have the 1 DEP officer for the State Park, 10 miles away making traffic stops in the city though. :?

That's always been their excuse though when they actually find something when they are playing Police....or when they make someone in the park mad, call for S.O. or PD so they can have them clean up their mess

03-24-2010, 02:44 AM
WOW, THAT'S THE MOST INTERESTING THING I EVER HEARD!!!CAN :? YOU SAY IT AGIAN?? DO YOU HAVE TIME????? :roll:

03-24-2010, 12:45 PM
WOW, THAT'S THE MOST INTERESTING THING I EVER HEARD!!!CAN :? YOU SAY IT AGIAN?? DO YOU HAVE TIME????? :roll:

:D :D :D :D :D

Apparently the people who keep posting have plenty of time to worry about us, either they are not Police Officers (which is what I am expecting) or they must have perfect agencies (which I am highly doubting).

03-25-2010, 01:12 AM
.......Or they are aggravated that in a time of budget cuts etc etc, there is a pointless law enforcement division with a bunch of poseurs holding others back.

03-26-2010, 05:19 PM
.......Or they are aggravated that in a time of budget cuts etc etc, there is a pointless law enforcement division with a bunch of poseurs holding others back.
D.E.P. = Don't Expect Police work

03-27-2010, 01:38 AM
D.E.P. = Don't Expect Police work

Dumb Egotistical Pansies.

(I couldn't work stuttering corporals into that acronym.) :cop:

03-29-2010, 02:12 AM

Who exactly are we holding back, our budget wouldn't even give most agencies a 5 dollar a year raise.

Get a life and worry about your own problems, It must be slow on the FHP board that you idiots came here and started your same crap. I have come to understand something, either you all have jurisdiction envy of state officers and troopers, or you are truly mad that you couldnt' pass the background to get a job.

Get lost angry teenagers, go pay the tickets you got from us and quit bit@@ing

04-02-2010, 07:27 PM

Who exactly are we holding back, our budget wouldn't even give most agencies a 5 dollar a year raise.

Get a life and worry about your own problems, It must be slow on the FHP board that you idiots came here and started your same crap. I have come to understand something, either you all have jurisdiction envy of state officers and troopers, or you are truly mad that you couldnt' pass the background to get a job.

Look around at some of the clowns you guys hire at your next inservice.

04-02-2010, 08:34 PM
It is unfortunate that you have chosen to pass judgment on an agency based on the fact that it bruises your professional ego to see us making a traffic stop outside of a State Park.
What you don't see is us patrolling the waters off the State Parks and doing joint maritime operations with Coast Guard and WFC. You also don't see us patrolling the thousand of acres of State Lands in our airboat and ATVs. You can get on your radio expect assistance in a pinch while on the road, we are alone and without back-up in that airboat. It is perfectly reasonable to be an idiot; however, why open your mouth and advertise it?

04-02-2010, 10:05 PM
Look around at your next inservice and see some of the clowns your agency hires. The BS stories I could tell you of the funny moron crap deputies and PD officers do, I think you wouldn't think so highly of yourselves and how other view your agencies. Best of luck to you, we will still back you up if you need help.

Look around at some of the clowns you guys hire at your next inservice.

04-02-2010, 11:39 PM
It is unfortunate that you have chosen to pass judgment on an agency based on the fact that it bruises your professional ego to see us making a traffic stop outside of a State Park.
What you don't see is us patrolling the waters off the State Parks and doing joint maritime operations with Coast Guard and WFC. You also don't see us patrolling the thousand of acres of State Lands in our airboat and ATVs. You can get on your radio expect assistance in a pinch while on the road, we are alone and without back-up in that airboat. It is perfectly reasonable to be an idiot; however, why open your mouth and advertise it?

That's not DEP, that's sounds like the respected FWC. :?

04-03-2010, 01:27 AM

hahahahahah, you crack me up, sounds like fwc, hahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahaha hahhahahah

Go home angry teenager, isn't there a prom you should be at.

04-05-2010, 10:40 AM

hahahahahah, you crack me up, sounds like fwc, hahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahaha hahhahahah

Go home angry teenager, isn't there a prom you should be at.

It was just a joke

04-23-2010, 03:53 PM

Really, then why don't you all do it ?? Just asking.

04-24-2010, 03:29 AM

because each agency has a core mission. they have the "authority" to do it all just in case but if they stray outside their mission often, the legislature could change law and restrict their authority. those at the top know the real deal and chastise the grunts for trying to do it all but you want read that from the rookies that post here.

if the park police don't get back to their parks, they gonna get a spanking. if your doing more outside your park than in, do we really need you?

04-26-2010, 10:37 AM
DEP,

You guys are good in my book! The more police in the area the better! That goes for all of "us".......when we need each other does it really matter where we are from or what our secondary mission is? Our first is the preservation of life and property no matter what our title is. Stay safe and take care of each other, it's only getting worse out there.

05-28-2010, 12:19 AM

because each agency has a core mission. they have the "authority" to do it all just in case but if they stray outside their mission often, the legislature could change law and restrict their authority. those at the top know the real deal and chastise the grunts for trying to do it all but you want read that from the rookies that post here.

if the park police don't get back to their parks, they gonna get a spanking. if your doing more outside your park than in, do we really need you?

I agree on the core mission part, keep in mind that after Florida's Reconstruction in the early 70's the State of Florida was left with only 6 Constitutional Sheriffs out of 67 counties. Core mission is a touchy subject simply because Sheriffs core mission is to maintain a county jail(if the county commisioners havent taken it away from the sheriff) and to serve the civil processes of the court. Core mission as I said is touchy since Sheriff's Depts do not have a core mission to provide law enforcement , thats imposed by the county commisioners and the State Legislatures, just like every other Law Enf Agency in Florida. Like Criminal Invistigation is the core mission of FDLE, Wildlife by FWC, Traffic , DL, Tags and Auto Theft by FHP( FHP is the only State agency that has in State Statute the wording ( The Florida Highway Patrol shall be considered conservators of the peace and Law Enforcement Officers of the State), the core missions all vary as do the actual missions of these agencies. The days of the High Sheriff are over 30 years in the past in Florida, Florida is seriously fractionalized when it comes to law enforcement, So the reality is Duval SO is Jax Police Dept, Miami -Dade is a county wide Police Dept /sheriffs dept, Sheriffs Deputies are Deputies by statute not Police, City Police are Police, FHP are State Troopers, FDLE officers are Agents, FWC, DOT, so on are State Officers.Need to know more read Florida Reconstruction its very detailed and much of floridas constitutions was repealed and revised, High Sheriff is long gone...sorry

05-29-2010, 10:48 PM
Blah blah blah, yet the days of DEP having to call other agencies because they are too incompetent to handle most things they come upon live on.

05-30-2010, 01:45 AM

I agree on the core mission part, keep in mind that after Florida's Reconstruction in the early 70's the State of Florida was left with only 6 Constitutional Sheriffs out of 67 counties. Core mission is a touchy subject simply because Sheriffs core mission is to maintain a county jail(if the county commisioners havent taken it away from the sheriff) and to serve the civil processes of the court. Core mission as I said is touchy since Sheriff's Depts do not have a core mission to provide law enforcement , thats imposed by the county commisioners and the State Legislatures, just like every other Law Enf Agency in Florida. Like Criminal Invistigation is the core mission of FDLE, Wildlife by FWC, Traffic , DL, Tags and Auto Theft by FHP( FHP is the only State agency that has in State Statute the wording ( The Florida Highway Patrol shall be considered conservators of the peace and Law Enforcement Officers of the State), the core missions all vary as do the actual missions of these agencies. The days of the High Sheriff are over 30 years in the past in Florida, Florida is seriously fractionalized when it comes to law enforcement, So the reality is Duval SO is Jax Police Dept, Miami -Dade is a county wide Police Dept /sheriffs dept, Sheriffs Deputies are Deputies by statute not Police, City Police are Police, FHP are State Troopers, FDLE officers are Agents, FWC, DOT, so on are State Officers.Need to know more read Florida Reconstruction its very detailed and much of floridas constitutions was repealed and revised, High Sheriff is long gone...sorry

I'm glad you did your research and remembered so much from the Police academy Sparky. Bottom line is this boys and girls... when the supervisors from DEP still think that you can sit on a car in the parking lot with an expired tag and then give the driver a ticket BEFORE they get in the car and actually drive away, then we can talk about a department that actually knows what they are doing. When the supervisors are more concerned with the size of the registration numbers on boats than the actual safety of the patrons in the park, things will stay the same day after day after day.

I still will trust the word of any Sheriff's Office over any state law enforcement agency on any given day. FHP you get the exception rule on this. You can do my signal 4 report anytime.

06-15-2010, 03:21 PM

First off FHP says no where in there the word STATE TROOPER. Sheriff is the Office of the Sheriff hence--not a county department nor is it run by the county. It is a Consitutional Office such as the Chielf law Enforcement agency in each county. Miami Dade is a county chartered (as elected by the the voters ) to have a director under the county comission an appoint a head administrator deleting the Sheriff in the term. Duval county is incorporated with city/county govt there creating Jacksonville Sheriff's Office. They sitll have an elected Sheriff but are the only Sheriff's Office in Florida to falll under a city pension plan and not the FRS. Actually the Sheriff's Offices in Florida are stronger than ever and now the Sheriffs can have collective barganing power. It merely brings the State Police concept are not anywhere in this century. The question here is cut backs in Florida State LE. Which means DEP merge with FWC- FHP/DOT merge, FDFS merge with FDLE etc