PDA

View Full Version : ??

01-15-2010, 12:47 AM
Hi I have a very serious question for any current officers.
I am a female student and will graduate from college this May with my degree in Criminology, I have often thought of becoming a police officer. I have lived in Plant City my entire life and would like to work for our police department. I want to go into the academy in May and will graduate there in October.
SO far so good right...?
Well..Here is the thing as a teenager I made a lot of mistakes! I was arrested at 16 ( I’m 23 now) for misdemeanor possession of cannabis. I also experimented with other drugs (cocaine and ecstasy) I don’t currently do drugs and haven't for the past four years. I also have 4 moving violations on my driving record.
I really would like to work as a police officer while I continue school and get my master's from the University Of South Florida.
I really want to find out if there is even a glimmer of hope for me, I want to be a police officer more than anything...but I also don't want to attend the academy to no avail and be out a lot of time and money
Thanks to anyone who can help.

01-15-2010, 11:20 PM
I don't think PCPD will hire you if you have done cocaine and ecstasy. Your would probably have to lie and stick with your story if you really want to be a Police Officer.

01-16-2010, 12:43 PM
Last time I looked at qualifications is said no marijuana use in the last 2 years, no other drugs in the last 5 years, and no tobacco in the last 12 months. It has been a while since I looked at one so you might want to call the department and get them to send you an application or get one on-line.

04-01-2010, 04:12 AM
I don't think PCPD will hire you if you have done cocaine and ecstasy. Your would probably have to lie and stick with your story if you really want to be a Police Officer.

Thats great advice,"just lie an stick with your story"....only in Plant City.

04-02-2010, 09:50 AM
With your history you don't have a shot of getting a job here. Sorry to be brutal but honest truth. Our Chief is really selective especially with female officers. Besides we are pretty much full right now and won't be hiring anyone soon.

04-02-2010, 11:44 AM
I agree with the last post. There are so many young people out there with degrees and spotless records trying to get into law enforcement. Most agencies, not just Plant City, can afford to be picky. The requirements are a lot more strict then they used to be. Ask yourself this question. You are trying to get hired with an agency, and there are 15 or 20 others trying out for the same spot(s) all of which have spotless records. Who are they going to choose? The sad part is that young people do not think of the consequences of their actions, and how they may affect their future. Sorry.....