PDA

View Full Version : The Read And Sign

01-09-2010, 12:35 PM
Here is some food for thought? Ag Policy is important and we now have a software program that allows us to sign off on policy and to print if need be. Why if you will, tell me why we still have the read and sign. I understand that in the "country" some of us don't have the WWW but why?

Does our "Girl Friday" need to busy her day with mass copies of read and sign that not only waste postage, but valuable time and effort? I don't think so, probably if you take this responsiblity from her duties she wouldn't be mad at ya?

We are in an age of going green and we are cutting a path down for every tree from here to Tally.

Please tell me why if the information highway is good enough for policy why isn't it good enough for the read and sign???

This is not putting anyone out there....just if someone has a better way please suggest it as I am sure you will be nominated for Officer of The Year for the money and time you will save the department.

Points to ponder over yonder?

01-09-2010, 01:42 PM
100% correct. What about the vehicle logs? Other LEO agencies do not keep a daily/weekly log or a daily/monthly log with gas receipts. So why do we? Why do we keep the receipts? They get a bill every month with all the same info we turn in. If there is abuse it will show on the bill, the cars are assigned to the station, there is a record of who works @ the stations daily so it would be easy to track. Redundant paper work all the way around.

01-09-2010, 01:58 PM
It's obvious you were not targeted by the IG's Office during the recent audit of vehicle usage. Thanks to the logs, those that were had no issues.

Now get back in that window, keep checking trucks and don't forget to mop the floor.

01-09-2010, 03:42 PM
All that was for was so that the IG's office could justify their reason for being. It was just an audit no other reason for it. They could have done the same thing by just looking @ the monthly statements and the miles driven on the car in that time period. I guess that would be to easy though?

They get a bill every month and it is not hard to figure out by looking @ the statement if someone is abusing their cards. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure it out, does not take a log either. The logs just keep a over priced secretary employed in Tally, somebody has to "process" them. Other agencies do just fine without the logs so why should we not be able to? Because we are the backwards department that we are?

01-09-2010, 03:55 PM
The "read & sign" can be gotten rid of and go to e-mail with a "read receipt" that you have to send back saying you have read it. It can be done in mass mailing and when the receipt returns to the sender they can have a check off list of names.

Do away with the car logs and turn this task over to who ever took care of the logs.

If a station does not have the internet to be able to check e-mail then how are they going to do the policy program? Time to get up to date and get internet at these stations so that officers have access to this information. Maybe they should have used the taser and holster money to achieve this task it would have been of more benefit to officers. It could have been tasked under the guise of training as the officers need this info to keep up to date and trained in their jobs.

01-16-2010, 07:09 PM
Is someone still still making you sign a paper receipt for policies? I thought clicking on the accept button was all we had to do (which saves lots of trees).

01-16-2010, 07:16 PM
"If a station does not have the internet to be able to check e-mail then how are they going to do the policy program?" Sergeants are supposed to make arrangements for Officers to drive (in an agency vehicle so it doesn't cost the Officer any of their own money) to a station that has internet so they can sign for policies.

"Maybe they should have used the taser and holster money to achieve this task it would have been of more benefit to officers." It has nothing to do with money. It has to do with commercial internet services provided to each city/county. As soon as an area has available service, the tech folks in Tallahassee work on getting access. They check every month to see if they can help the officers in the field.

01-16-2010, 07:59 PM
"If a station does not have the internet to be able to check e-mail then how are they going to do the policy program?" Sergeants are supposed to make arrangements for Officers to drive (in an agency vehicle so it doesn't cost the Officer any of their own money) to a station that has internet so they can sign for policies.

"Maybe they should have used the taser and holster money to achieve this task it would have been of more benefit to officers." It has nothing to do with money. It has to do with commercial internet services provided to each city/county. As soon as an area has available service, the tech folks in Tallahassee work on getting access. They check every month to see if they can help the officers in the field.

There is this thing called Wild Blue, it is satellite internet, it would be cheaper than the T1 connections that they have put in other stations. There is also air cards that would still be cheaper than T1 connections. Since it does not have to do with money let's get one or the other done so folks can check their e-mail, policies, people first, etc. A trooper can get the internet in his freaking patrol car and we cannot get it at a fixed location? Blow that BS up someone else's arse.

I am glad they are checking though and attempting to help those in the field. That makes them better than some of the chain of command we have, all they want to do is screw us to make themselves look better.

03-20-2010, 09:49 AM
100% correct. What about the vehicle logs? Other LEO agencies do not keep a daily/weekly log or a daily/monthly log with gas receipts. So why do we? Why do we keep the receipts? They get a bill every month with all the same info we turn in. If there is abuse it will show on the bill, the cars are assigned to the station, there is a record of who works @ the stations daily so it would be easy to track. Redundant paper work all the way around.

At least somebody some where is paying attention and knows a good idea when they see it. Daily car logs GONE. This is good as nothing was getting fixed anyway. Must be some of the non-lifelong roadguards in Tally that were brought into upper management paying attention on here because you know the locals would never make such a change like this.

03-21-2010, 12:43 AM
Hooray for no car logs, they got chopped when some of the brass didnt do theres for years and got caught. Everybody has a reason but we will take it.

03-21-2010, 04:52 AM
WOW this site is really working to the better.....Station 1 got a phone cord...and the car logs are gone. That is going to save us at least $380.16 a year just in postage for the 18 stations on mail to Ed Touchton. That is not counting the sgts mail, lt's mail, investigators mail and so on. Wow that is enough for a couple of people on relief to get paid. People it is just good management. Maybe the DFS office needs to have a coming to Jesus with our department, maybe we need a FISCAL audit to see where we can cut our budget and save money. Maybe we can scan and PDF the rest of our information. It would cut down on Sgt's making their "rounds" to pick up monthly mail. Imagine how much fuel that would save. We would keep the original receipts on file for review however scan and PDF the file to the Sgt. on shift and stop making copies of the gas receipts and midnight logs. All the stations have the ability to scan documents and save them, why not get additional use of the scanning system. Why not take the advice of the people who work here like a suggestion box, or give incentive for someone to come up with some type of strategy to save us even more money so we can save our special programs. The Federal Govt. offers employees incentives to bring ideas that can save in all areas, from something as small as a power decrease initiative. HELLO....why not take it from the people that are in the field, not the people who are enjoying the fruits of our labor. Maybe this gossip filled site is finally doing something in the positive if only we can keep it positive in that direction. :D

Justin
03-21-2010, 01:28 PM
Part of the job I was assigned to do when I was hired was to conduct staff inspections.

I got a chance at inservice and while at the academy the other day to tell some folks about what this means.

A general guideline, for those who aren't familiar, is http://policechiefmagazine.org/magazine/index.cfm?fuseaction=display_arch&article_id=470&issue_id=122004 .

This program contains confidential interviews. This can serve as your suggestion box, and should work much like one in that no names are attached to the suggestions. There are no warranties or guarantees expressed or implied that your suggestions will be acted upon, but it gives you the opportunity to voice some issues. Look over that article and consider the implications of the program.

As always, I would invite any of you to feel free to contact me about this program or anything that I do for you here.

Justin
850-245-1311
edited to fix broken link

03-21-2010, 05:35 PM
Here is some food for thought? Ag Policy is important and we now have a software program that allows us to sign off on policy and to print if need be. Why if you will, tell me why we still have the read and sign. I understand that in the "country" some of us don't have the WWW but why?

Does our "Girl Friday" need to busy her day with mass copies of read and sign that not only waste postage, but valuable time and effort? I don't think so, probably if you take this responsiblity from her duties she wouldn't be mad at ya?

We are in an age of going green and we are cutting a path down for every tree from here to Tally.

Please tell me why if the information highway is good enough for policy why isn't it good enough for the read and sign???

This is not putting anyone out there....just if someone has a better way please suggest it as I am sure you will be nominated for Officer of The Year for the money and time you will save the department.

Points to ponder over yonder?

Found out last night that even the "read and sign" aka Information Distribution signature forms are being done away with. We will now instead be getting an e-mail with a read recipt. Another one bites the dust. Good to see some froward movement.

03-22-2010, 01:31 PM
Very nice work Justin, you and the accreditation chief have done a great job here. We are finally seeing some benefit to being accredited. Unfortunatley, you have not been given enough credit because of Chief Bryan and Major Haddock running both of you down here in the field. Of course we know that the Col never was happy about accreditation either. Thank you Cheryl and Justin for your work, we finally can thank Tallahassee for something. We have the dumbest captain out here at I-10, so this helps balance out his stupid management policy.

04-02-2010, 10:33 PM
Where o where is our commanders you are not doing anything but losing are jobs for us. The list of overpaid is awful Liford Bryan Johnson Haddock Hingson Nash you are terrible.

04-03-2010, 01:04 AM
If you are going to thrash people....atleast learn proper sentence structure. D-bag.

04-03-2010, 10:37 PM
OMG, better re-read your post before YOU correct anyone. And despite the grammar, Caperooos post is true. I work here and watch in daily amazement at the gross incompetence and laziness displayed by the whole group of "leaders". The only leader is Degroff Berry at least she has something to show for herself. I can't believe Liford promoted Bryan and Haddock. And than all the raises that were given to their favorites, like Whitney, Bist, Linda Harless and Haddock. At least Gina deserved it.

04-04-2010, 01:13 AM
who is losing their job?

04-05-2010, 03:52 PM
From the horses mouth, there has never been worse management in our agency than now. When I talk to Tally, they say that morale is so low because of no direction or caring from the brass. All of them are looking for jobs and don't care about the troops anymore than they ever did. They give out raises to their favorites no matter what the brass say that they wont. We here in the shacks are nothing but numbers to them. They give secretarys and other civilians lots of money and we get nothing. Remember all the great speeches by Bryan and others who said they would take care of us well who is us. It aint me and the rest of us ramp monkeys.