PDA

View Full Version : Perm. shifts

Troop G Guy
01-07-2010, 09:27 PM
I hear you guys in the Palatka district got turned down for perm. shifts again. Did you REALLY think your DC would go along with it? I say try again just to see what type of excuse he comes up with this time.

01-08-2010, 01:13 AM
Stop writing tickets and let it be known that everyone will continue to only write warnings until the majority of troopers get what they want. You troopers need to learn how to deal with these scumbag brass instead of being pee-ons that do whatever they are told and getting NOTHING for it.

01-08-2010, 01:34 AM
Or recall what was told to you when you first signed up for FHP - where there any guarantees of permanent shifts; nope? Should all of the troopers across the state stop writing tickets too? Maybe everyone should do the job they have to the best of their ability and be thankful that you have a job.

Troop G Guy
01-09-2010, 01:37 AM
Or recall what was told to you when you first signed up for FHP - where there any guarantees of permanent shifts; nope? Should all of the troopers across the state stop writing tickets too? Maybe everyone should do the job they have to the best of their ability and be thankful that you have a job.

That's right! Just sit down and do your job!!! Forget any progress. Just do exactly as you have been doing since you left the academy. Where there guarantees of perm. shifts? No! But there was the "guarantee" of a step pay plan so you would not have to work so much off-duty or promote just to get a pay increase.

That's the kind of thinking that rules in G and most everywhere else in FHP. Do as you did since the academy. Soooo sad!

01-09-2010, 02:13 AM

Thank you for your response, Colonel :snicker:

01-09-2010, 03:19 AM

Thank you for your response, Colonel :snicker:

I'm not the Colonel, just a Trooper out doing my job that I was hired for on rotating shifts and days.

01-09-2010, 07:25 PM
Yea, the col. no longer works shifts. Hasn't in over 20 yrs! But you do and always will. And the idiot above loves too!

01-09-2010, 07:29 PM
Yea, the col. no longer works shifts. Hasn't in over 20 yrs! But you do and always will. And the idiot above loves too!

This is what most of us worked our ass off for; there were not guarantees of any shift. If you want a guaranteed 9-5 job, maybe you should go back to your pervious job - LEO cannot count on holiday's or weekends off ever.

01-10-2010, 02:10 PM
So who said anything about holidays off or for that matter weekends? If a majority of people want perm. shifts why not?

01-10-2010, 02:39 PM
Why is FHP the ONLY mid to large department in the nation that still does rotating shifts? Yes we all took the job with rotating shifts but why does that mean it shouldn't change? People with that mentality are the same people who rejected electricity and plumbing in their homes!!! Things can and must change or be left in the past. Time to get out of the 1960's.

01-10-2010, 03:28 PM
I can tell you, when it comes to troop g especially the palatka dist. things are in the '60's and will not change. amazing when you think that the dc in palatka is young and they have a rather new tc. but i worked there and know the people and you would have to move heaven and earth to break the hold the few have over the many there.

01-10-2010, 04:26 PM
I'm surprised so many people on here are in favor of permanent shifts. I'm one of the most senior people in my district and I'm going to vote against permanent shifts when the time comes.

I think permanent shifts are great if you are one of the people that gets to work the shift that you want. I think it REALLY stinks if you get the shift you don't want. In my district, we have the added problem of being a multi county area. Now we have the extra problem of:

1: People working the shift they want but not the county they want.

2: Not the shift they want but the county they want.

3: Not the shift AND not the county they want.

I'm senior enough to work any shift and probably any county but I'm going to vote against permanent shifts because I think it will be really bad for morale. The younger guys (they're the ones with young children, right) will be stuck on evenings for a long time and that really messes with a person's family life.

01-10-2010, 04:34 PM
I'm surprised so many people on here are in favor of permanent shifts. I'm one of the most senior people in my district and I'm going to vote against permanent shifts when the time comes.

I think permanent shifts are great if you are one of the people that gets to work the shift that you want. I think it REALLY stinks if you get the shift you don't want. In my district, we have the added problem of being a multi county area. Now we have the extra problem of:

1: People working the shift they want but not the county they want.

2: Not the shift they want but the county they want.

3: Not the shift AND not the county they want.

I'm senior enough to work any shift and probably any county but I'm going to vote against permanent shifts because I think it will be really bad for morale. The younger guys (they're the ones with young children, right) will be stuck on evenings for a long time and that really messes with a person's family life.
And of course the instant this agency institutes shift differential, you being senior enough will vote for permanent shifts because it will mean much for your retirement...(not that it will ever happen, but if it did)

01-11-2010, 09:16 PM
I can tell you, when it comes to troop g especially the palatka dist. things are in the '60's and will not change. amazing when you think that the dc in palatka is young and they have a rather new tc. but i worked there and know the people and you would have to move heaven and earth to break the hold the few have over the many there.

WE SHOULD GO BACK TO 3 INCH GUN BELTS LIKE MY DADDY USED TO WEAR :cop:

01-11-2010, 09:42 PM
Or recall what was told to you when you first signed up for FHP - where there any guarantees of permanent shifts; nope? Should all of the troopers across the state stop writing tickets too?

Perhaps so, if that type of action will get the attention of the people capable of making those decisions. Sounds like your suggestion is for troopers to just bend over, take it up the arse and never try to get anything for themselves or make things better? Just basically let the department do whatever with the schedules because "that's the way it's always been?" If it takes an entire district letting the activity plummet to get something done, then so be it!

01-12-2010, 12:14 AM
I would certainly catch the attention of legislators and city and county governments everywhere. Imagine the revenue lost for two days across the state with no tickets written by us....

01-12-2010, 12:31 AM
I would certainly catch the attention of legislators and city and county governments everywhere. Imagine the revenue lost for two days across the state with no tickets written by us....

Not a good idea IMO, imagine the $$$$ they could make us lose if we took mandatory furloughs like assistant state attorneys / public defenders had to do last year.

01-15-2010, 01:54 AM

Yea, it's pretty much the same all over. The palatka tc and dc just like most others has his/her favorites and if THEY want or don't want something then that's the way it is.

01-23-2010, 01:02 AM
It's VERY true for the dc over there. Stuck in the past and always will be!

01-24-2010, 09:45 PM
And why is this? The dc over there went from trooper to captain w/o moving or taking any other position! How's that? Talk about his own little fiefdom!

02-01-2010, 02:09 AM
Yea those back water posts are all like that.

02-03-2010, 12:44 AM

Not a good idea IMO, imagine the $$$$ they could make us lose if we took mandatory furloughs like assistant state attorneys / public defenders had to do last year.

Those attorneys don't pay for insurance. You do, gotta work a full week to get a full week of insurance paid. Wait, the light came on. They can make us take personal leave or even sick leave, yeah, that's it. Mr/Mrs Legistlature can you take that into consideration.

02-10-2010, 04:49 AM
Ask the Palatka DC "what would Jimmy Johns say about perm shifts",his own troopers laugh about his J Johns stories,(repeat-repeat).DC use to have the Varsity leader as his lil Boy,but now he has left home(for now).DC lies,plain and simple. 8)

02-10-2010, 08:54 PM
Ask the Palatka DC "what would Jimmy Johns say about perm shifts",his own troopers laugh about his J Johns stories,(repeat-repeat).DC use to have the Varsity leader as his lil Boy,but now he has left home(for now).DC lies,plain and simple. 8)

Soooooo true!

02-23-2010, 01:18 PM

he' ll feel better when his boy comes back. in the mean time he has enough high activity writers to keep him happy and they will work any shift he tells them to

Soooooo true!

03-03-2010, 04:05 AM
Hey, he's just doing what alot of other supervisors do around the state. gives his high activity and close friends the fast cars, favorite zones, etc...

he learned from the best

03-16-2010, 03:32 AM
NOw, now. He just doin what jimmie would have done!

03-17-2010, 12:42 AM
Isn't this a new contract year? Why not fuss at PBA to get perm shifts and rules for voting for them in the contract? Come to think of it, has anyone heard from PBA? Are they still around?

03-17-2010, 01:11 AM
Yeah, and they're still asking for your money.

03-17-2010, 11:52 AM
You mean like the way they screwed the Miami troopers on midnight shift??? PBA always was and will be pro management now it's proven again.

03-17-2010, 06:56 PM
You mean like the way they screwed the Miami troopers on midnight shift??? PBA always was and will be pro management now it's proven again.
What do we expect? PBA leadership and reps are in the Major's pocket :!:

05-16-2010, 12:56 AM
It's VERY true for the dc over there. Stuck in the past and always will be!
And now they just lost another tpr who had enough and quit w/ little notice. At least he got a good job, I heard. That is one screwed up place to work and it starts at the top.

05-18-2010, 10:06 AM
Now, now. Little big man is doing the best he can with what he has. Just keep those tic's coming in and all will be fine. If you think it's bad now, just wait until his real supervisor comes back!

05-19-2010, 02:04 AM
JJ coming back from the grave?