PDA

View Full Version : Spring Break 2010

12-11-2009, 06:04 PM
Panama City Beach- The Panama City Beach Police Department is going to get plenty of help from the Florida Highway Patrol come Spring Break 2010. This after the Panama City Beach City Council approved a budget Thursday night to pay room and board for the troopers who will patrol the area from mid-March to mid-April.

The troopers, 24 in total, will be used for increased traffic enforcement. The first 12 will arrive on March 14th and work through the 27th. The second set of 12 will arrive on the 28th and work through April 11th. They will be focused on the roads so Panama City Beach police officers can focus on any behavior issues that arise.

During Thursday's meeting the Panama City Beach City Council approved spending $25,000 to provide food and lodging for the troopers. The state will continue to pay their salary and fuel costs. The troopers will be housed at the Naval Support Activity-Panama City.

City Manager Richard Jackson says it's a great deal for the city and will help improve the image of spring break in Panama City Beach. "People tend to behave more, particularly when you have an officer nearby. This gives us more visibility in terms of uniforms out in the beaches area."

Speaking of spring break, the Beach City Council would like to have a new noise ordinance in place before the 2010 event.
The council has recently received several complaints about the noise at a number of front beach road establishments, especially Coyote Ugly. The council will hold a workshop in January to address those concerns and discuss updating the ordinance.

Also during the meeting, a representative from "Ironman Florida" presented a $4,000 check to the Panama City Beach Cops N Kids program. The Ironman, which has been held on the beach for the past 11 years, requires the help of 3,500 volunteers. Ben Rausa says this is just one way to give back to the community that makes the event possible. "There are approximately 80 charities throughout the county, the city, Panama City proper, Panama City Beach proper who recieve a monetary donation for their volunteer efforts." According to Ironman Florida the event gives a $7 million boost to the local economy every year.
http://www.wjhg.com/news/headlines/79025727.html

How many Troopers did we send in years past? I know it has been a few years since we were involved, but does anyone remember? 24 doesn't seem like much (12 at a time). I remember during BCR we sent 100 or so. But I never went to Panama City.

12-11-2009, 07:06 PM
12 Troopers in residence at any one time.

If they work 12 hour shifts, with no days off when they are there, that means 6 troopers on duty for one city. Wow, think of the fine revenues they will collect. Let's see, two cits per hour at an average of $50 on each cit to the city equals (24 hours per day, times 6 troopers,times 2 cits per hour, times $50 = $14,400 PER DAY in fines collected. I bet it brings into the city about $288,000 even if they work only 20 days :!: :!:

Not a bad return on an investment of $25,000. :idea:

Now if they only work 8 hour shifts, then there would only be 4 troopers 10-8 at all times. Hum???

Inquiring minds want to know.

12-11-2009, 10:55 PM
Who cares? Sign me up!