PDA

View Full Version : Freeze or Hiring?

12-04-2009, 06:32 PM
Goodafternoon guys and gals,

Please if someone could give me some information it would really help. I am a Broward County Deputy looking to relocate to mid Florida.

Is you department hiring or on a freeze?
If you are hiring how many positions are possibly available?
Has your contract been negotiated?

Thank you for your time and information. Be safe out there brothers and sisters its not getting any easier... :cop:

12-19-2009, 12:09 AM
Brevard is accepting applications. Go to the website, brevardsheriff.com, complete the application and submit it. There is no lateral transfers, meaning you will start with the entry pay grade $35-36k. Contracts were already signed, but it is what it is... Hope this helps..

12-19-2009, 04:32 AM
Thanks a lot for the information brother, how long do you think your agencys hiring process takes???

Stay safe out there brothers and sisters its not getting any easier.... :cop:

12-19-2009, 12:00 PM
It can usually take up to 3 months, depending on the the amount of information in one's backgrounds. The agency tends to have quarterly hire groups. If you have any further questions you can contact the Career Development. Just let them know if you are looking for road patrol or corrections.

12-20-2009, 05:27 AM
Thank again for the information, ill get a hold of them on Mon. hopefully you will have road patrol openings in a couple of months. First off lemme ask you some questions that I wouldnt ask your career development...

Is there a shortened FTO program for certified officers?
How is morale?
How many districts do you have? whats the size range of the disricts?
8 hour shifts or 12 hours?
Roughly how many Deputys per shift? and how are they divided?
How many times does your shift and days off change a year?
How fast can back-up arrive if needed?
Whats your agencys retirement pension system FRS?
Do you get assigned your duty weapon? or do you purchase your own?
Can you carry a rifle? shotgun? and or both in your marked patrol unit?
Are details plentyful? or hard to come by?
Do you still use 10-codes on the radio or is it mostly plain talk?
Do you have to stick to the green uniforms everyday or can you wear a Tactical uniform here and there?
Is facial hair allowed?
what is the busiest district? what is the slowest district?
How is administration? do they micro-manage everything?
What is your report writing system?
Do you have to complete daily reports every 30 min. telling your location and where you patrol?
How are the training opportunities?
How hard is it to get a day off?
How is the area of Brevard, is it a nice place to start a family?

I know its a lot of questions but I would really appreciate the information, it would help me make a better decision on what agency I should go too. Trust me I do not want to waste anyones time or money (been there, done that). Surprisingly I have heard many good things about Brevard and I hope to hear many more. Mabye one day soon I can patrol the streets of Brevard just like I do hear in Broward. Thanks.

Be safe out there brothers and sisters, its not getting any easier... :cop:

12-22-2009, 06:41 AM
There is no fast track with FTO, apprx 5 weeks orientation, approx 11 weeks of FTO.
They are called precincts here, North, West, East, South, and Canaveral
Depending on the sqaud you are assigned, either 8hrs or 10 hrs.
Depends on the precinct, some are smaller then others
Shift bid is once a year. the schedule is permenant days off. ex: Days works 8hrs (S,M,T,W,T with F,S off)
Back up, depends where you are assigned...
BCSO is under FRS
Weapons are issued, Glock 40cal
After qualifying you can carry a shotgun and/or rifle
There are details, depends on the time of year on the plentiful
Ten Codes and Signals are used
You will wear the polyester green uniform, unless part of TAC or K9
No beards, or goutees, unless in a specialized unit
Busiest can be either East or West, slowest can be either North or South all depends
Micromanaging depends on the supervisor you work for
Report writing system is done by computer
There are no daily logs
Training depends on manpower and costs of training
Days off depends on manpower and whether you have the time
Brevard is slower pace then South Florida Living.

12-23-2009, 03:07 AM
Wow, it sounds like you got a solid department up there, Im glad you dont have to do daily logs (those are a real pain). Thanks for the info though, im definitely convinced in turning my application in, hopefully your department has room for one more dedicaded and hard working Deputy.
By the way Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family!

02-05-2010, 12:48 PM
Heading to my Oral Board review today! please pray for me...Thanks to all, I would like to work for your department.

06-03-2010, 11:32 PM
Does anyone know if "guest 223" ever got hired? If so, what is your personal view of the Brevard County Sheriff's Office. The reason I'm asking is that I am currently in the D.R.O.P. program and will be looking to move further north when I'm done. I wish to continue my law enforcement career and would like to apply as a road deputy. p.s. Is there still a hiring freeze? Thank you in advance for your response.

06-09-2010, 01:43 PM
I am a retired officer looking to move to Brevard and possibly joining your department. Problem is my certification expired. (due to hiring freezes couldn't get hired) Does anyone know if your department would even look at my application? Thanks

06-17-2010, 03:49 AM
guest 798,

If your certificate is expired, contact your local police academy and complete the 40 hour mandatory training courses. It will cost you a little, but at least you will be certified again.

06-17-2010, 03:53 AM
k-9roy from south fl,

Go to the BCSO website, http://www.brevardsheriff.com and complete the application on-line. You will be contacted by someone from the Career Development Unit regards your application. BCSO is always accepting application. When positions are available, they will be filled.

06-17-2010, 07:16 PM
MC Dep. TF appears to have some extracurricular activities going on.

06-18-2010, 11:38 PM
Thank you guest 205 for that information. :cop: