PDA

View Full Version : Female Deputies Terminated?

11-19-2009, 09:10 PM
What is the story on the two D4 female Deputies getting terminated? One I know and she was due but the other one I have no idea.

11-21-2009, 11:42 AM
1=is Lazy
2=got screwed
Sum it up?

11-21-2009, 02:31 PM
How didn't she get screwed?

11-21-2009, 03:52 PM
I think what he meant was:
1 of them were lazy and needed to go and 1 of them should still be working here. If you can't figure out which is which, then you probably shouldn't worry about it anyways..... :devil:

11-21-2009, 04:53 PM
This should serve as a lesson to remember by everyone here. If you were hired as a Deputy Sheriff, and you become medically unable to perform those duties, even if you are injured on the job, the agency is under no obligation to retain you when your doctor certifies you are unable now, and beyond, to return to duty. It is harsh, and I would hope the agency would offer an alternate position if at all possible, but the reality is; you could get hurt today and never be able to return to duty, and therefore end up the same as the officers who this topic is directed. Take the steps to protect your livelihood now.

11-21-2009, 08:24 PM
I think what he meant was:
1 of them were lazy and needed to go and 1 of them should still be working here. If you can't figure out which is which, then you probably shouldn't worry about it anyways..... :devil:

Perhaps i need your superior intellect to assist me but as the following blogger said if you're no longer able to perform the job medically and your doctor says NO! then what choice does FDLE standards or the agency have but to release you. As i understood it the deputy of which you speak was fully aware of the situation and had to concur that she was no longer able to perform. So i repeat my question "how did she get screwed?" Perhaps i don't have the whole story or there's more to it than on the surface. Just asking. And as promised to the BOCC in exchange for the returned money to keep from laying deputies off the agency had to promise not to replace anyone who left.

11-22-2009, 05:55 PM
If you get hurt "on the job" the county has to find you a position within the county; neither of those were hurt on the job. One was just not healthy enough to risk being permanently hurt. No more leave; + no more donated leave available; + no more FMLA available; + the SO paying all your benefits and health insurance coverage; etc., = termination. What other choice?

The other? "Stepped in a hole" the day after being moved to evenings and "hurt" herself? I think we can figure that out, since that's not exactly a first for that one........... :devil:

11-22-2009, 07:37 PM
[quote="guest 69"]If you get hurt "on the job" the county has to find you a position within the county;

I found the above statement to be interesting and wonder; is this true ? Please post a reference so this can be verified. I am truly curious.

11-23-2009, 04:34 PM
If you get hurt "on the job" the county has to find you a position within the county;

I found the above statement to be interesting and wonder; is this true ? Please post a reference so this can be verified. I am truly curious.

Your answer lies in Policy D-010, where IX and X clearly states what can or will happen.

IX. Reassignment

A. If after 520 hours of Temporary Restricted Duty the member's condition is such that they are unable to resume their regularly assigned job functions in an unrestricted capacity, the member may be permanently reassigned to an abailable position that he/she is physically and competently qualified to perform with or without reasonable accommodation. The member's pay rate, benefits, and retirement category will be adjusted accordingly. Depending on circumstances, members may be eligible for Workers' Compensation and/or disability insurance benefits if the reassignment results in loss of pay.

X. Separation from Service

A. If there are no available positions for which the member is qualified, of if the member refuses to accept the position as offered, he/she may be dismissed.

Having no available positions and being unable to replace those who leave or are dismissed based upon the bugdet agreement with the county basically seals it.

11-23-2009, 06:49 PM
It is unfortunate that deputies are losing their jobs, but the policy that was enforced is in place for a reason. If a deputy is not able to perform their duties the department has no other option but to enforce it's own policies. I would rather see someone let go then see them get hurt or someone else get hurt because of a deputies inability to perform their jobs. The thing to remember is that we can not confuse on duty and off duty injuries. I hope the two deputies that were let go land on their feet and do well for themselves. We can't let our feelings cloud the fact that they were no longer able to do their job. I don't believe that anyone got screwed or that these terminations were done out of revenge. Anyone that has been here more than a minute know's that this department does whatever it can to save peoples jobs. How many deputies have been washed out of patrol and moved over to court security?

11-24-2009, 05:51 AM
Well spoken!