PDA

View Full Version : The sky really is falling

11-11-2009, 10:36 PM
The 10 states whose budgets are most at risk in the coming year, according to a report released Wednesday by the Pew Center on the States. The categories listed show the change in tax revenue followed by the change in the unemployment rate from 2008 to 2009, the most recent figures available. The Pew Center also includes a grade from its Government Performance Project on how well each state manages its money. A national figure is included:

California
Tax revenue change, 2008-09: -16.2 percent
Unemployment rate change, 08-09: +4.6 percentage points
Money management grade: D+

Florida
Tax revenue change, 2008-09: -11.5 percent
Unemployment rate change, 08-09: +4.4 percentage points
Money management grade: B-

Arizona
Tax revenue change, 2008-09: -16.5 percent
Unemployment rate change, 08-09: +3.0 percentage points
Money management grade: C+

Rhode Island
Tax revenue change, 2008-09: -12.5 percent
Unemployment rate change, 08-09: +4.5 percentage points

Michigan
Unemployment rate change, 08-09: +6.0 percentage points

Oregon
Tax revenue change, 2008-09: -19.0 percent
Unemployment rate change, 08-09: +6.4 percentage points

Nevada
Tax revenue change, 2008-09: +1.5 percent
Unemployment rate change, 08-09: +5.2 percentage points

New Jersey
Tax revenue change, 2008-09: -15.8 percent
Unemployment rate change, 08-09: +3.7 percentage points
Money management grade: C-

Illinois
Tax revenue change, 2008-09: -10.9 percent
Unemployment rate change, 08-09: +3.5 percentage points

Wisconsin
Tax revenue change, 2008-09: -11.2 percent

U.S.
Tax revenue change, 2008-09: -11.7 percent
Unemployment rate change, 08-09: +4.4 percent

Source: Pew Center on the States

11-11-2009, 11:26 PM
The 10 states whose budgets are most at risk in the coming year, according to a report released Wednesday by the Pew Center on the States. The categories listed show the change in tax revenue followed by the change in the unemployment rate from 2008 to 2009, the most recent figures available. The Pew Center also includes a grade from its Government Performance Project on how well each state manages its money. A national figure is included:

California
Tax revenue change, 2008-09: -16.2 percent
Unemployment rate change, 08-09: +4.6 percentage points

Florida
Tax revenue change, 2008-09: -11.5 percent

Arizona
Unemployment rate change, 08-09: +3.0 percentage points

Rhode Island
Tax revenue change, 2008-09: -12.5 percent
Unemployment rate change, 08-09: +4.5 percentage points

Michigan
Unemployment rate change, 08-09: +6.0 percentage points

Oregon
Tax revenue change, 2008-09: -19.0 percent
Unemployment rate change, 08-09: +6.4 percentage points

Nevada
Tax revenue change, 2008-09: +1.5 percent
Unemployment rate change, 08-09: +5.2 percentage points

New Jersey
Tax revenue change, 2008-09: -15.8 percent
Unemployment rate change, 08-09: +3.7 percentage points

Illinois
Tax revenue change, 2008-09: -10.9 percent
Unemployment rate change, 08-09: +3.5 percentage points

Wisconsin
Tax revenue change, 2008-09: -11.2 percent

U.S.
Tax revenue change, 2008-09: -11.7 percent
Unemployment rate change, 08-09: +4.4 percent

Source: Pew Center on the States

That is why it cracks me up to her people on here wanting new types of equipment when we will be lucky not to resort to layoffs!

11-12-2009, 03:02 AM
The budget process will be nothing short of a bloodbath this year. Deep spending cuts will have to take place. I would predict that we keep our current salaries but our insurance rates will rise. FHP may reduce its force through attrition. One of the things I would get rid of is the Tahoe's. Sure, they are nice to have but they are a waste of money, in gas and maintainance. People will be shocked at the budget results.

11-12-2009, 03:49 AM
One thing is sure, there will be plenty of $$$$$$$$$ for the petty bureaucrats to spread around. Special interests and lobbyists will have their way with the budget. State employees will be forced to scramble for scraps. In other words - just another day in Florida.

11-12-2009, 04:56 AM
The budget process will be nothing short of a bloodbath this year. Deep spending cuts will have to take place. I would predict that we keep our current salaries but our insurance rates will rise. FHP may reduce its force through attrition. One of the things I would get rid of is the Tahoe's. Sure, they are nice to have but they are a waste of money, in gas and maintainance. People will be shocked at the budget results.

My Tahoe is going on 70k miles with no maintenance other than oil changes and brakes. They are a much better vehicle than those crappy Fords!

11-12-2009, 11:09 AM
Don't you know that SOAR will be on the chopping block. Despite the revenue it produces for the State and the Counties, they will rub it out. Anything that is not essential will go by the wayside and the state doesn't HAVE to have SOAR.

11-12-2009, 12:49 PM

My Tahoe is going on 70k miles with no maintenance other than oil changes and brakes. They are a much better vehicle than those crappy Fords!

THe crown vic only get gets about 2 more mpg than the tahoe..

I Wear The Hat
11-12-2009, 01:22 PM

I agree. All you ever see is service maintenance advisaries sent out by Fleet Management about the Crown Victorias; you hardly ever see any about the Tahoes.

11-12-2009, 01:40 PM

THe crown vic only get gets about 2 more mpg than the tahoe..

Maybe your government educated and can't do math. That may be the case, however, 2 miles per gallon times several hundred vehicles over the lifespan of 100,000 miles really adds up quick!!! People in state government are losing their jobs (got laid off) and we have thi whining about getting a more expensive vehicle to operate. If this is the mentality then maybe FHP doesn't deserve to have our budget increased, as we will only squander it on things that are not needed, while others are losing their jobs. Heck, where do we stop, I want an expedition! It is only a few more gallons per mile to operate than the Tahoe, after all.

It really doesn't matter anyway, as their will be deep cuts this upcoming fiscal year. We better brace ourselves because it is coming.

11-12-2009, 11:50 PM
The further decline of a dieing agency is all but assured. Good bye FHP……

11-13-2009, 12:04 AM
The further decline of a dieing agency is all but assured. Good bye FHP……
"Dieing"? Yes, I am "dieing" just reading your response. How did you get "further", "decline", and "assured" correct but miss "dying"? I am "dieing" with laughter. If you are the best that can be sent, then the FHP will be around for centuries to come. Good Lord, I would have to pay money to laugh this hard somewhere else..... :snicker:

11-13-2009, 12:59 AM
Maybe your government educated and can't do math.

Actually, I'm government educated, can do math, AND I know the difference between your and you're! :roll:

And if you really think a 2 mpg difference really amounts to a rats ass in the grand scheme of the DHSMV budget, you're really clueless!

11-13-2009, 03:17 AM

Actually, I'm government educated, can do math, AND I know the difference between your and you're! :roll:

And if you really think a 2 mpg difference really amounts to a rats ass in the grand scheme of the DHSMV budget, you're really clueless!

Julie does.

11-13-2009, 04:09 AM

Julie does.

And so does the legislator and the public--which is why FHP will be hurt this year in the budget process. The public does not like seeing an agency squandering money on Tahoe's when they could be driving cheaper vehicles.

11-13-2009, 12:22 PM
You THI haters kill me...

11-13-2009, 02:31 PM
How many Tahoes are actually in the state right now? Sure K9s have them, but how many THIs have actually gotten one. I know of 1 THI in the 12 counties around that received one.

And the argument about the mileage is understandable. However, most THIs do not put a ton of miles on their vehicles either. Some do a thousand miles a month if that! Some places THIs stay at home their entire shift unless a 7 occurs...even if the zone guys are slammed. But that is a whole other issue...

I just do not think the Tahoes, due to their limited numbers, are really making a huge fuel cost difference to the state.

How is the gas mileage of Charger vs. Crown Vic (comparing Apples to apples-meaning working "Turn and Burn" Trooper gas mileage-not cruise control "do nothing" trooper gas mileage). That is where FHP burns the fuel-the zone units.

11-13-2009, 02:55 PM
We could save a lot of gas each month if troopers would just press the gas pedal like there was an egg between their shoe and the pedal.

11-14-2009, 03:14 AM
There is only one THI Tahoe in Troop L. Also, No THI's are allowed to work at home anymore. The Colonel came out with a mandate on that.

11-14-2009, 03:47 AM
The huge deficit facing this state and law enforcement won't be made up by vehicle costs or mileage. People are the biggest expense. The "gold key" lounge in the puzzle palace (GHQ) runs a close second.