PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Digital Terminal trivia

blautens
10-11-2009, 06:24 PM
I know this doesn't sound important, but can anyone remember the manufacturer and/or model of the MDTs (or as we called them, "digis") PBSO used back in the 90's?

It frustrates the hell out of me that I stared at that thing for years and cannot remember...

10-11-2009, 07:53 PM
Same company that made Sputnik...

10-11-2009, 09:24 PM
They were "Kustom" mobile data terminals

10-12-2009, 09:05 AM
Same company that made Sputnik...

LOL, Now that's funny. I believe they also made 8-Track players

10-12-2009, 12:18 PM
Yes, Kustom made the first diggi's that came into service in '73. PBSO was only the second agency in the country with this 'cutting edge' technology at the time. Compared to a laptop today, it was like a stone tablet and chisel. Only one screen of information to display - no forward or back page like later models. Imagine a laptop with the screen up and then fill in all that empty space from keyboard to the top of the screen - it was bigger.

It used a designated radio channel., but due to no extra radios (back then) it used the main car radio, which was switched to the diggi channel. There was a scanner in the car so the Deputy could hear dispatch calling (There were no portables until about '74). The Deputy had to reach down, switch channels to answer. If the diggi was transmitting at the time, it would send the signal over the voice channel and burn out the dispatchers ears. it sounded like a fax on steroids.

When a Deputy was out of the car, they were cut off from dispatch. If dispatch needed them, they would activate their car's recall - a set of pager tones over the radio to set off the car horn and turn on the blue lights to 'recall' them back to the car.

Just think, the new generation loves to gripe about how bad some of the equipment is..........

I have a photo around here somewhere so the newer folks can see how things have changed....

10-13-2009, 02:05 PM
Yes, Kustom made the first diggi's that came into service in '73. PBSO was only the second agency in the country with this 'cutting edge' technology at the time. Compared to a laptop today, it was like a stone tablet and chisel. Only one screen of information to display - no forward or back page like later models. Imagine a laptop with the screen up and then fill in all that empty space from keyboard to the top of the screen - it was bigger.

It used a designated radio channel., but due to no extra radios (back then) it used the main car radio, which was switched to the diggi channel. There was a scanner in the car so the Deputy could hear dispatch calling (There were no portables until about '74). The Deputy had to reach down, switch channels to answer. If the diggi was transmitting at the time, it would send the signal over the voice channel and burn out the dispatchers ears. it sounded like a fax on steroids.

When a Deputy was out of the car, they were cut off from dispatch. If dispatch needed them, they would activate their car's recall - a set of pager tones over the radio to set off the car horn and turn on the blue lights to 'recall' them back to the car.

Just think, the new generation loves to gripe about how bad some of the equipment is..........

Arrrgghhhhh,

You young cops don't know how good you have it! Arrrgghhh, why, when I was a young cop, I used to have to club wild game for 10-40. Arrgghh!! We didn't have Chili's or Hooter's! We didn't have pens or paper to write reports on!! We just made drawings on the cave walls to document calls!! Arrrgghh!! Oh, and air support? You young bucks have it so good!! In our day, we sent a rookie up the side of a mountain for air support!! It would take months (if the rookie made it alive) 'till we found out how the perimeter looked!!!!!! Arrgghhh!! Go choke on some Starbucks you spoiled pricks!!

I have a photo around here somewhere so the newer folks can see how things have changed....

10-14-2009, 11:26 PM
Arrrgghhhhh,

You young cops don't know how good you have it! Arrrgghhh, why, when I was a young cop, I used to have to club wild game for 10-40. Arrgghh!! We didn't have Chili's or Hooter's! We didn't have pens or paper to write reports on!! We just made drawings on the cave walls to document calls!! Arrrgghh!! Oh, and air support? You young bucks have it so good!! In our day, we sent a rookie up the side of a mountain for air support!! It would take months (if the rookie made it alive) 'till we found out how the perimeter looked!!!!!! Arrgghhh!! Go choke on some Starbucks you spoiled pricks!!