PDA

View Full Version : FHP Funding Source Change

10-11-2009, 04:02 PM
I heard that FHP is no longer funded out of General Revenue. We are now funded through the Law Enforcement Trust Fund. I am told that this is a "good" thing. Does anyone know what (if anything) this means to us as a department and of course to the rank and file?

Thanks

10-11-2009, 10:06 PM
Still General Revenue!

10-11-2009, 10:12 PM
I was told (and it was from a very reliable source) that we will be funded from the LE Trust Fund. What this means is that we need to GET TO WORK and WRITE SOME TICKETS!!!!!! Remember, the more you write, the more you are paid, it's that simple.

10-11-2009, 10:57 PM
I heard that FHP is no longer funded out of General Revenue. We are now funded through the Law Enforcement Trust Fund. I am told that this is a "good" thing. Does anyone know what (if anything) this means to us as a department and of course to the rank and file?

Thanks

We are now funded from the Highway Safety Trust Fund, not The Law Enforcement trust Fund. These are two different funding sources.

Don't know f this is a good thing, but lets cross our fingers.

DL Fees
Tag Fees
Court Costs
small porting of ticket fees
Penalties are now deposited in to the account.

Do some research starting with HB 5011/ HB 239 / HB 869
http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Sections/Bills/billsdetail.aspx?BillId=42030&SessionId=61

10-12-2009, 01:44 AM
I heard we get a decent amount of money from reinstatement fee for suspended licenses especially F/R suspensions. Write your .646 citations!

10-12-2009, 03:02 PM
You are dreaming if you think you are going to get some big pay raise, what they did was make an excuse for not giving you a pay raise, if you are not writing between 200 to 300 tickets a month they will say that you did not work and there is not enough money for a pay raise, this money will be spent for other things just like always.

You young troopers are all so gullible.

10-12-2009, 08:07 PM
I was just listening to a program regarding goverment pensions, funding and what maybe in store down the road. They were talking all as one not certain states, county or citys. Was enough to make one sit up and pay attention. :|

10-12-2009, 10:16 PM
I was told (and it was from a very reliable source) that we will be funded from the LE Trust Fund. What this means is that we need to GET TO WORK and WRITE SOME TICKETS!!!!!! Remember, the more you write, the more you are paid, it's that simple.

Hahaha. Wow, I hope you aren't serious because you are one dumb son of a gun if you are.

10-13-2009, 12:02 AM
What it means to us is that the department has much more flexibility in how we spend the money. When funded out of General Revenue, we are competing with every other state agency for the $$; we may get our budget request or we may not. Being trust funded, we keep a percentage of revenue from DL and DMV. While the department still has to submit a budget and the legislature has to approve it, the money is ours and it is typically more of a 'rubber stamp'.

It is a good thing for us. It puts more control into the department's hands to give raises. What I heard is that it will probably be two years before the revenue levels will be where they need them to be to start giving raises, though.

10-13-2009, 01:00 AM
What it means to us is that the department has much more flexibility in how we spend the money. When funded out of General Revenue, we are competing with every other state agency for the $$; we may get our budget request or we may not. Being trust funded, we keep a percentage of revenue from DL and DMV. While the department still has to submit a budget and the legislature has to approve it, the money is ours and it is typically more of a 'rubber stamp'.

It is a good thing for us. It puts more control into the department's hands to give raises. What I heard is that it will probably be two years before the revenue levels will be where they need them to be to start giving raises, though.

I agree with your comments, I have not heard anything from anyone in government. However, I do follow the financial market close and understand that if nothing is pouring in, there fore nothing is sent out. As for the two year mark, this sounds about right if all starts to bubble up. It will be a wait and see game for a while as such I would not make any drastic changes in ones life for a few years. :|

10-15-2009, 03:16 PM
You are dreaming if you think you are going to get some big pay raise, what they did was make an excuse for not giving you a pay raise, if you are not writing between 200 to 300 tickets a month they will say that you did not work and there is not enough money for a pay raise, this money will be spent for other things just like always.

You young troopers are all so gullible.

I am a young trooper but I am with you vet. I don't buy that we will be getting a big raise anytime soon.

10-18-2009, 12:53 AM

If this has any truth to it as far as being more in control of our spending, do you think that the expanded ranks plan (Sr Trooper / Master Trooper / Sr Sergeant / etc) as proposed in the LBR (copied and pasted below) has a chance? It has a implementation date of April 1, 2011. This puts it on track with what was said earlier about having to wait until the trust fund fills up.

Copied from the LBR:

"Funding in the amount of $1,962,558 is requested for a Leadership
Development Plan for FHP’s law enforcement officers and
Motorist Services driver license examiners and compliance officers.
The plan will create a more educated, highly trained, and
professional workforce, thus improving service delivery and
helping enhance the quality of services to the motoring public.
The Department recognizes its members as its most valuable
resource. The Department’s Leadership Development
Plan would incorporate education, leadership training, experience,
work history, and performance evaluation to cultivate
our law enforcement officers and motorist services members
to become future leaders of the agency who are prepared
to command in an increasingly complex society. Through
this plan, we would provide opportunity and motivation
for members to improve their leadership, performance, and
customer service skills. This would result in greater expertise
and professionalism, which would be reflected in the
interactions between the motoring public and our troopers,
driver license examiners, and compliance officers. It may also
result in higher quality products, more innovation, and better
marketing strategies, as members are trained and encouraged
to seek new ways to meet the ever changing needs of our
communities.
The Department’s Leadership Development Plan emulates
what many other state law enforcement agencies (such as
Maryland, Virginia, and Louisiana) have already effectively
implemented. Leadership development is so critical and
necessary in law enforcement today that the International
Association of Chiefs of Police have created a center to assist
agencies in developing effective programs.
As shown in the chart below, this plan would provide graduated
compensation increases for our law enforcement officers
by creating tiers within the Trooper, Corporal, and Sergeant
ranks. Advancement through the tiers would include a minimum
number of years of service, an established minimum
overall rating on their performance evaluations, and higher
education or training requirements. The Leadership Development
plan proposes an implementation date of April 1,
2011, with an initial cost of $1,882,238. Second year costs are
estimated to be approximately $7,848,772.
Similarly, this plan includes funding for salary adjustments
for driver license examiners and compliance officers and will
allow selected members to advance through newly created
positions designed to develop leadership and managerial
skills. The initial first year costs (FY 10-11) are projected to be
$80,320 with an estimated annualized cost of $321,283."

10-18-2009, 11:48 PM
Boy that sure is a lot of other agencies pulling money from that fund that they say we are going to get rich from.

Face the facts by the time each agency pulls the money they want from the fund pay raises will again be out of money.

Just another joke played upon the troopers by the State of Florida.

Do you really believe that in two or three years you will get any money from that account outside of a 2% cost of living raise?