PDA

View Full Version : Ch-ch-ch-ch-Changes

10-11-2009, 03:19 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tBHOuHolYw

:wink:

10-11-2009, 04:09 AM
OFR is investigating the Alva Market and its manager **** Spence.

http://www.news-press.com/article/20091011/NEWS01/91010039/1075&referrer=FRONTPAGECAROUSEL

Bad link slander until fixed or verified

Mod 610
10-11-2009, 04:23 AM
For the poster whendoesitend. Your link does not work. You have to log in to view the article. Please fix it. I have deleted your post until it is corrected

10-11-2009, 04:31 AM
Your link does not work. You have to log in to view the article. Please fix it.

Thanks

You must be in a h e l l of a hurry, huh, Sheriff?
Give that sum***** newspress a chance-
:snicker: clear.

10-11-2009, 04:43 AM
http://www.news-press.com/assets/pdf/A41442201010.PDF

Part of the story is down, that asset remained.
didn't realize before

10-11-2009, 12:00 PM
So uh, whose Tim Daughetry and why was he passing **** Spence $11,000+ in bad checks last December that were drawn on 2 different closed bank accounts?

And why does the the News Press keep publishing stories then getting cold feet and pulling them down just as fast? It makes them look like a bunch of incompetent idiots....what a worthless rag.

10-11-2009, 12:15 PM
Full story and supporting documents for download after the link.

http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200991010039

Alva businessman's dealings probed
Rescinds complaint over realty agent's checks

RACHEL REVEHL • and **** HOGAN • October 11, 2009

1:10 A.M. — Local businessman and convicted money launderer **** Spence filed a criminal complaint with the sheriff’s office last month alleging real estate agent Tom Daugherty swindled him of $23,500.

Daugherty, a prominent Southwest Florida commercial real estate agent, was indicted in April on federal tax evasion charges. The Sept. 16 complaint by Spence claims Daugherty wrote three worthless checks between Dec. 8 and Dec. 26, 2008. Copies of the checks reviewed by The News-Press show two were made out to Alva Village Market, the convenience store owned by Spence’s wife and managed by Spence. A third check for $11,000 was made out to Spence.

Spence withdrew the complaint Thursday, the same day The News-Press spoke to him about it. At that time, Spence said Daugherty made good on the checks.

But the state Office of Financial Regulation, which oversees financial institutions and check-cashing businesses, confirmed Thursday it is investigating the Alva Village Market.

And Spence said others may be looking into it as well.

“Every agency has been calling me, coming by, asking me a million questions,” he said. “I’m done with it.”

Spence declined to identify the agencies. Office of Financial Regulation spokeswoman Holly Hinson would not clarify whether the deal with Daugherty was the catalyst for her agency’s inquiry, but when asked by The News-Press as recently as early September whether **** Spence or the Alva store was being investigated, the agency said there was no active case.

Both the FBI and the IRS said they could neither confirm nor deny whether they are investigating.

Spence told The News-Press the checks stemmed from a real estate deal between him and Daugherty. Neither Spence nor Daugherty would discuss the deal.

A report by sheriff’s Detective Kevin Watkins quoted Spence as saying he waited seven months before depositing the checks because he was selling the store and believed Daugherty would pay him back during the deal.

But Paul Carr, Daugherty’s real estate broker at the time the checks were written, said the firm, Daugherty & Carr, wasn’t working on a deal with Spence, although three years ago the firm represented him when he unsuccessfully tried to sell the store.

Spence said he deposited one of the checks — $5,000 made out to the Alva Village Market — on Dec. 29, and it was returned for insufficient funds. He then waited until July to attempt to deposit the other two.

However, Watkins reported that while reviewing Spence’s complaint, he learned Spence paid Daugherty $11,000 in cash from the business’ coffers.

Neither Spence nor the store is licensed to cash checks, Hinson said. Without a license, the law allows Spence to cash anything under $2,000 or any amount that doesn’t exceed 5 percent of the business’ total revenue in any two-month period.

The Alva Village Market is a convenience store operation that sells low-ticket items such as gasoline, pizza and beverages.

Daugherty, 53, faces up to five years in prison on one count of tax evasion alleging he hasn’t paid $1.6 million in taxes the past 11 years.

Federal investigators believe Daugherty converted his earnings to cash and cashier’s checks in order to hide his earnings from tax agents.

Wilbur Smith, Daugherty’s attorney, said Daugherty’s dealings with Spence don’t have anything to do with those charges.

The Daugherty deal is not the only questionable transaction Spence has been involved with in recent months.

A service contract provided to The News-Press shows the Alva store was paid in May for shutters work by Romano Shutters, owned by Sisto Romano, brother-in-law of Sheriff Mike Scott.

The receipt, for $225 in repair work May 8, noted the charge on the Sanibel customer’s credit card billing statement would be “Alva Market.”

When asked last month about the work order, Spence said he had no knowledge of it. While he said he occasionally cashes checks for Romano in varying amounts, he denied running credit card transactions for Romano.

When asked Thursday, Romano said he did not have a copy of the work order in his files and he would have to “talk to the right people” before offering further comment, which he had not done as of Saturday.

Fifteen years ago, Spence, 51, was convicted of kidnapping in addition to laundering more than $100 million for the Cali drug cartel in New York. A former New York City firefighter, he also was convicted of defrauding taxpayers of more than $300,000 by filing a false disability claim.

After serving 36 months in prison, he moved to Lee County, opened the store with his wife and established friendships with prominent community members. He was involved in the campaigns of State Attorney Stephen Russell, Sheriff Scott and others.

He also said he helped raise $500,000 for Gov. Charlie Crist’s campaign for governor.
His friendship with Scott raised questions of influence in August after phone records revealed the two shared 371 phone calls from October 2005 to August 2008, when Scott learned of Spence’s past. The calls dropped significantly afterward.

Scott is under preliminary investigation by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement’s Executive Investigations unit, following exposure of an internal corruption investigation targeting Spence conducted by several subsequently ousted and demoted deputies. FDLE’s inquiry has been ongoing since August, and no details have been released.

10-12-2009, 06:26 AM
Lucy you have some splaning to do :shock:

10-13-2009, 03:18 AM
It takes some pretty big balls to stiff a convicted Cali Cartel money launderer with $23,500 in bad checks.

10-13-2009, 04:03 AM
I guess I'm the only one That knows how loan sharking works. The shark loans you money you agree to pay him back in one lump sum or payments at a later date Like post dated checks. Looks like some loan shark got burnt then tried to use the law to get it back.

10-15-2009, 11:58 AM
I bet I know who gave Rachel the receipt...I bet it's a now Sanibel cop who is going overseas to work and used to work for LCSO until his dealings caught up to him, including sleeping with another deputy's wife. Of course Rachel better watch out because I know of something she did which violated the law and it can be proven. No, I don't and never have worked for LCSO.