PDA

View Full Version : Panel Interview

10-10-2009, 11:39 PM
Hello Everyone,

I'm going for a panel interview in a couple of weeks and I was looking around the internet for tips or mock practice questions. Does anyone have any suggestions?

10-12-2009, 07:05 PM
Although I used to conduct the panel interviews, I can't really help you now because I retired so long ago that the format has probably changed.

The only time I can recall that someone did really badly in a panel interview was when we were interviewing a guy fresh out of the Marine Corps. He didn't do well because he tried to be too brief with his responses, confining himself pretty much to "Yes sir" and "No sir" answers. I repeatedly asked him to loosen up a bit and provide discussion for his answers. He seemed to be incapable of doing so.

What I was always looking for in the panel interview was to get to know the person in depth. I wanted discussion of job experience, particularly from someone who was in law enforcement. I wanted to know why the applicant wanted to be in the Secret Service rather than in some other federal law enforcement agency. Incidentally, I can't speak for other panelists but I didn't hold it against applicants who were concurrently applying for positions in other agencies.

If things are still the way they used to be there are some questions the panelists can't legally ask but which they are curious about. You may or may not choose to enlighten them about marital status, intentions to start a family in the near future, dependents who rely on you or other obligations which might restrict your availability to travel frequently, often and for extended periods.

If you speak a foreign language, at any level of fluency, that is a big plus. If you are in law enforcement and have any awards, commendations, etc. mention them.

Finally, are you SURE you want to go with the Secret Service? The prestige is high, but so is the hardship level. You might want to go to the library and read the sections of Inside The President's Secret Service by Ron Kessler that relate to the absolute indifference of Secret Service management to the needs, problems and concerns of the working agents, especially with regard to duty assignments, frequent transfers, separation from spouses who work in other cities and manipulation of the incredible amounts of overtime they work in such a way as to avoid paying the agents for the work.

Increasingly, more and more Secret Service agents are transferring to other federal agencies where they can enjoy a more stable family life, aren't subject to arbitrary and capricious transfers, and where management is more sensitive to their personal concerns.

Whatever you decide, best of luck to you.

Tampa Retiree

worfusa2008
10-19-2009, 03:05 AM
I, too, made it out alive. I regretfully have to second Tampa Retiree's suggestions concerning your choice of a career with the Secret Service. Kessler's book not only reports interviews with former agents, who might be considered disgruntled, but with active Agents and Supervisors. There is an old saying in the Service that if Headquarters wanted you to have a life, they would issue you one on your property card as: Life, Personal, Optional (1). It is indeed sad to see that Headquarters' still practices the Comanche School of Management. It used to be a great outfit.

As to the Panel Interview: Be frosty and don't get rattled. Answer questions succinctly and don't elaborate unless asked. Ask for the question to be repeated if you don't understand it. Keep smiling. It confuses them.

10-19-2009, 03:08 PM
I totally agree with the two postings above. Think twice about your career choice. Good luck in your future endeavors.

10-23-2009, 03:18 AM
If you are selected you can consider yourself to very fortunate. In spite of other opinions, I would not guide any decisons based on a book about the Secret Service especially one written by one who has never been an employee of the organization or any other law enforcement organization. The panel interview should prove to be informative and don't hesitate to ask questions. However, do yourself a favor and make sure you are familiar with the duties and responsiblities of the Secret Service. My career last last 23 years prior to my retirement in 1993. I am very proud to have been a part of an orginazation that continues to be highly respected throughout the world. If given the opportunity give it your best and evaluate your purpose as time takes it's course.

10-26-2009, 08:17 PM
In spite of other opinions, I would not guide any decisons based on a book about the Secret Service especially one written by one who has never been an employee of the organization or any other law enforcement organization.

The fallacy in your reasoning here is that the author was not expressing HIS opinions of the hardships associated with working for the Secret Service of today, but was reporting the views of CURRENT EMPLOYEES and others who have left the agency much more recently than your departure fifteen years ago.

Have you read the book? The contrast between the management of the FBI and the Secret Service is incredible. In the old days it was the FBI that was arbitrary and capricious in their transfer policy. Now it is the Secret Service that is unreasonable and the FBI is the reasonable one. That is astounding!

Actually, my advice to the original poster is to try to get the job. Get the training. Get the experience. Then if you find the working conditions unbearable after a few years, do what many others are doing. Move on to a more desirable job, taking the training, experience and prestige of having been a Secret Service Agent with you. It will surely open doors to excellent alternative job opportunities for you.

Good luck and best wishes.

worfusa2008
10-27-2009, 02:04 AM
Go For It provides excellent advice. If you are accepted, I would further suggest giving the Service at least three years but no more than five. Three years will give you some credibility. You can reach Grade 13 in 5 years and that makes you even more marketable to other agencies. After 5 years you will be locked into the job financially, especially if you still have a family left.
As for Kessler's book, Go For It reminds us of something the kool-aid drinkers would like us to forget. Kessler did not fabricate the culture of mismanagement rampant in Headquarters. He only reported what he was told by former and current agents and supervisors. In Headquarters' eyes, you are only an asset to be managed. There is a big difference between managers and leaders. "Been there, done it, bought the t-shirt."

10-28-2009, 03:28 AM
I want to thank everyone for the advice. I’m single, in my upper 20’s with no kids so I really feel that it’s now or never. I’m going to give the interview my best and hope I get it. This is the first federal job that I have applied for so it’s been an interesting process.

10-28-2009, 12:29 PM
I want to thank everyone for the advice. I’m single, in my upper 20’s with no kids so I really feel that it’s now or never. I’m going to give the interview my best and hope I get it. This is the first federal job that I have applied for so it’s been an interesting process.

Now that we've "invested" in you (with advice) please let us know how it comes out.

Tampa Retiree
(and Go For It!)