PDA

View Full Version : Daytona PD vs. VCSO

10-05-2009, 06:57 PM
Weighing all of the pros and cons, which is a better department to work for, in your opinions?

Daytona PD
Benefits (Upon obtaining permanent employee status)
Salary Range: $34,301.28 to $58,095.96 annually
Personal Leave Accrual: 192 Hours per year
Holidays: 9 Paid holidays per year, plus your Birthday and Employee Appreciation Day.
Pension Program: 3.38% Multiplier (20-year retirement)Military/Previous LE experience buyback
(4 Yrs. Maximum.)
Educational Incentives Plan
Employee Fitness Center
Medical
Dental (At a greatly reduced rate)

I think having a step pay plan would be nice. I live in Deland, and am wondering which department would be better to apply for.

10-05-2009, 07:01 PM
Add Port Orange PD to that list, their benefits + salary look pretty good too.

10-07-2009, 12:15 AM
Weighing all of the pros and cons, which is a better department to work for, in your opinions?

Daytona PD
Holidays: 9 Paid holidays per year, plus your Birthday and Employee Appreciation Day.
Pension Program: 3.38% Multiplier (20-year retirement)Military/Previous LE experience buyback
(4 Yrs. Maximum.)
Employee Fitness Center
Medical

I think having a step pay plan would be nice. I live in Deland, and am wondering which department would be better to apply for.

Daytona is minor leagues. Go with the major leagues...the big dog....the Sheriff's Office.

10-07-2009, 02:59 AM
What about Port Orange PD?

I know Im in the VSCO forum and Ill probably get the same answer, but having higher pay and a step pay plan would definitely be nice.

VCSO has been my first choice for a long time no question, but lately Ive been browsing more.

10-13-2009, 05:57 PM
Daytona is minor leagues. Go with the major leagues...the big dog....the Sheriff's Office.

I guess 14 bucks an hour is the "major leagues" to you huh pal???

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight :snicker:

10-13-2009, 06:17 PM

hey pal,
there is more to it than money. we have the best training, the best equipment and the best leadership. the best opportunity for special assignments. those are things that you cannot put a price tag on.

10-14-2009, 12:23 AM

hey pal,
there is more to it than money. we have the best training, the best equipment and the best leadership. the best opportunity for special assignments. those are things that you cannot put a price tag on.

don't forget, we also have the best union!

10-14-2009, 04:56 PM
haha. That was funny. Now there needs to be a response from a union lover telling us to either get with the program, be part of the solution, etc. The union is a physical oddity...it sucks and blows at the same time.

10-14-2009, 11:58 PM

Daytona PD
(4 Yrs. Maximum.)
Employee Fitness Center
Medical

You know what the "Big Dog" gets......the big bone! 47th lowest pay in the state! MAJOR League stuff here!

10-15-2009, 03:46 PM
I feel sorry for some of our brothers that will be losing their driving privileges. Any response from the union? Hello union?

10-15-2009, 08:06 PM

Daytona PD
(4 Yrs. Maximum.)
Employee Fitness Center
Medical

You know what the "Big Dog" gets......the big bone! 47th lowest pay in the state! MAJOR League stuff here!

I think Im actually going to try for port orange PD when the time comes... I love the area and think Id be better off with more pay and a step pay plan.

They get $16.18 at hiring, $16.61 at 1 year.

That equals about $37,000! The step pay for an officer with no promotions caps out at $59,000.

Much more than VCSO or DPD.

Are there any concrete reasons as to why I shouldnt go for it other than the "big dog" comment?

10-15-2009, 11:23 PM
I feel sorry for some of our brothers that will be losing their driving privileges. Any response from the union? Hello union?

Yes, your dues are late!

10-16-2009, 12:50 AM

Daytona PD
(4 Yrs. Maximum.)
Employee Fitness Center
Medical

I think Im actually going to try for port orange PD when the time comes... I love the area and think Id be better off with more pay and a step pay plan.

They get $16.18 at hiring, $16.61 at 1 year.

That equals about $37,000! The step pay for an officer with no promotions caps out at $59,000.

Much more than VCSO or DPD.

Are there any concrete reasons as to why I shouldnt go for it other than the "big dog" comment?

The short answer is that the POPD along with Daytona Beach Shores PD are the least respected agencies in Volusia county. In a group of more than 30 law enforcement officers (of any stripe) just bring up the name of the Port Orange Police Department and look at the facial expressions you'll get. You'll usually find a numerical group of that size at a funeral of a fellow law enforcement officer. If that doesn't do it, ask a few citizens who live in Port Orange and you'll get an even stronger display of disgust. There's little crime in Port Orange so most enforcement focuses on traffic and their reputation is basically........do any and everybody, even fellow leo's. If none of this is of concern to you then go for it. You'll even have a new station to go to. Be safe. :D

10-16-2009, 12:57 AM
Hm the no respect thing is a little concerning, but I know a few people that live near port orange and they dont seem to have a huge problem with the leo's there.

I guess Ill test the waters and see.

Thanks for some real info. :)

10-21-2009, 01:58 PM
Has anyone heard when VCSO will be hiring again?
I know of a couple of us who have completed the academy in great standing, passed the state exam, and have had our applications in with the county for a couple of months. A couple of us are just wondering when we should expect to be considered for employment.
Thanks.

12-04-2009, 12:15 PM
Think out side the box.. Try leaving Volusia county. Highest paid in the state are Fort Lauderdale and Tampa PD. Tampa PD Tops out at 79k after ten years and start at 42k. Ft Lauderdale starts around 40k and tops out quick 6yrs at 69k.

Certainly a whole lot busier at tampa and ft lauderdale but you get good pay...Just make sure u wear your bullet proof vest every day.

12-04-2009, 08:56 PM
Im definitely planning on moving out of volusia county at some point, but Id rather get my first couple years of experience in a smaller town vs. a large city like Tampa, it seems like it would be beneficial because I would have a chance learn the ropes instead of being extremely busy at all times. Thanks for the advice though. :)

12-31-2009, 02:14 AM

Port Orange PD....for the most part = young moron hard charging little ****** having kids that got beat up in high school.

I've heard many stories about them pulling over and writing other LEOs.

The one who pulled me over didn't write me b/c h had no reason to stop me, just mumbled something and got back in his car.

If you fit that type of dorky stereotype, Im sure POPD has a spot for you

01-24-2010, 07:06 AM
Ok you start at a smaller agency before going to a big city police dept like tampa?? Why you'll learn more faster going directly to the big city dept. First small town agencies are more micro managed and you wont do nearly as much real police work like you would in Tampa or another big city dept. I have a buddy that works for Tampa PD they dont even respond to most calls that smaller depts would make you write a report on. Most of the calls are in progress and most are of a violent nature. So I just dont understand why would you not wanna start with a big agency? Why not learn how to be a cop from an agency that does real police work?? Am I missing something?

Im definitely planning on moving out of volusia county at some point, but Id rather get my first couple years of experience in a smaller town vs. a large city like Tampa, it seems like it would be beneficial because I would have a chance learn the ropes instead of being extremely busy at all times. Thanks for the advice though. :)

02-07-2010, 11:08 PM

Port Orange PD....for the most part = young moron hard charging little ****** having kids that got beat up in high school.

The one who pulled me over didn't write me b/c h had no reason to stop me, just mumbled something and got back in his car.

Very true, Port Orange PD is pathetic

03-02-2010, 04:25 PM
They're a bunch of as$holes. No crime to speak of in Port Orange so they focus on traffic. If you live here and have problems they respond with their "community policing" bull.sh.it. That's another term for saying that they go out and kiss ass with the offenders asking "pretty please, will you comply with the law." They do have a nice (new) po-lice station that they just moved inton. :mrgreen: :cop: :devil:

03-03-2010, 09:39 PM

Very true, Port Orange PD is pathetic

They don't give a rat's ass that you're a fellow LEO. Look what they did to the Chief of Ponce Inlet several years ago. If that wasn't bad enough, one of their Sergeants tried to convict him in the News Journal by reporting minute details of the traffic stop. They really looked stupid when a Judge ruled that they didn't have probable cause to stop him in the first place but the harm to his (chief's) reputation had already been done because the uneducated public saw the judge's ruling as a "technicality." :cop:

03-30-2010, 10:11 AM

Port Orange cops are a bunch of steroid heads ! They even give other cops tickets, REALLY ! They have no respect for anyone, and think they are above
everyone else. It appears they need to get their heads out of their butts, as the majority of them ,are also incompetent :roll:

03-31-2010, 04:29 PM

Port Orange cops are a bunch of steroid heads ! They even give other cops tickets, REALLY ! They have no respect for anyone, and think they are above
everyone else. It appears they need to get their heads out of their butts, as the majority of them ,are also incompetent :roll:

Sounds like you might have a small case of the jealousies....sorry that Port Orange did not hire you......

04-02-2010, 07:34 PM

Sounds like you might have a small case of the jealousies....sorry that Port Orange did not hire you......

Port Orange PD is a joke. You have several clowns there that failed BG's with other agencies....so don't start that.

Port Orange PD = laughing stock of law enforcement in this region.

04-02-2010, 10:55 PM
Port Orange is not a joke by any stretch of the imagination. For that try Oak Hill, Holly Hill, Lake Helen, Orange City....

04-03-2010, 12:52 AM
Port Orange is not a joke by any stretch of the imagination. For that try Oak Hill, Holly Hill, Lake Helen, Orange City....

Port Orange is a bunch of undereducated overzealous cops running around acting like LAPD when in reality they work in a joke of a bedroom town. That is a joke.

05-26-2010, 09:12 PM
All through my leo career I've tried to have the mindset that there's not enough of us out there to be fighting one another. I can only wish that others from other agencies felt the same towards fellow Leo's. For some reason, POPD doesn't share this view. :(

06-23-2010, 06:54 PM

Orange City has a bad rep? I thought that was a sleepy little town.... :?:

06-25-2010, 01:12 AM
They are a joke. They are represented by that worthless Teamsters union.