PDA

View Full Version : MAN THIS BITES BAD.

09-24-2009, 07:11 AM
MAN THESE TIMES SUCK ASS! I WAS AN EXPLORER WITH THE COUNTY FOR A LONG TIME. SINCE THAT, ALL I EVER WANTED TO DO IS BE A POLICE OFFICER FOR THE COUNTY. AS SOON AS I TURNED THE AGE TO APPLY, I DID. I COULD STILL REMEMBER THE DAY I DID TO LIKE IT WAS YESTERDAY. JULY 2007. IT TOOK ME ALMOST TWO YEARS OF WAITING FOR PHONE CALLS, PRAYING I HAD PASS MY TEST THAT I JUST TOOK TO GET MY ACCEPTENCE LETTER BY MAIL WHICH I DID. FEB OF 2009. NOW THE YEAR IS ALMOST OVER AND I STILL HAVEN'T HREAD A WORD THE COUNTY. BUT, WHAT I HEAR AROUND TOWN IS THAT THERE IS MOST LIKEY NOT EVEN GOING TO BE AN ACADEMY NEXT YEAR AND THAT WE COULD REST ASURE THAT THERE IS NOT. WHAT I WONDER IS HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE IN THE SAME SHOE AS ME? GOODLUCK TO EVERYONE THAT IS AND LET'S HOPE IT GET'S BETTER.........QUICK. PEACE.

09-24-2009, 08:45 PM
I'm in the same boat but I applied in 06 and was a explorer all I got left is the 2nd psych and medical and that's it.. But word is county will start processing ones who have applied already in Oct around the 15th when new money comes in..

09-25-2009, 06:28 AM
I heard the next basic class starts on 11/30/09.

09-26-2009, 02:35 PM
I am also in the same boat :cry:
I applied in 11/2007 did all exams and passed, received my acceptance letter in 01/2009 and now stuck in this freeze :roll: I was suppose to go in2 the Aug academy which cxld out and now my BI says there will not be an academy this year and doesn't look so well 4 next year either so lets hope like u say this all ends soon :wink:

I Wear The Hat
09-28-2009, 03:50 AM
I heard the next basic class starts on 11/30/09.
You are correct. The next basic recruit class starts November 30.

10-13-2009, 10:41 PM
man that sucks.

03-15-2010, 09:48 AM
I'm with you bro..... With all these changes coming to the dept, because of the new director lets hope something happens soon. I really hope our new director brings back this dept to being the best there ever is. :cop: 8)

03-19-2010, 03:23 PM
I heard there aren't gonna be any academy classes for the next 2 years.

03-20-2010, 04:08 AM
That is not exactly true. By the time a class starts and completes the training, gets on the road, goes thru FTO and finishes probation, it can take almost two years before they become permenant employees. They will probably have at least one class in 2010, so by the time the finish all the training, it will be 2012...two years later.

04-24-2010, 01:08 PM
I'm with you bro..... With all these changes coming to the dept, because of the new director lets hope something happens soon. I really hope our new director brings back this dept to being the best there ever is. :cop: 8)

Thanks for the belly laugh. You are SOOOOO funny.

07-15-2010, 07:19 PM
any more news on academy classes?

07-19-2010, 03:27 AM
Good luck. I have given up on any position with the County and wonder if they even hire non minorities. I have my BSc in Criminal Justice graduated top of my class, wrote the hardest CJBAT and got a 90 on my first try, and I have no criminal record. They won't even hire me for an entry job in property and evidence as others were more qualified. Once again good luck.

07-19-2010, 03:38 AM
Don't worry fellas, just wait till all these un-incorporated areas start incorporating. As soon as that happens, they will give MDPD 3 years to pack their crap and go. After that, there's gonna be many smaller agencies available, and also the favoritism will be down. That means you will have a better chance at getting a PO career with the new municipality. And trust me, those smaller agencies aren't going to hire many of those old MPPD timers.

Either two things are going to happen, MDPD will take over a lot of municipalities (like BSO) or they are going to slowly fade away. Goodluck brother!

07-19-2010, 03:41 AM
Big Brother will fall soon. Don't worry!

07-21-2010, 02:15 AM
I feel all u guys. I was a Explorer for the county for 7 years(hammocks) applied January 2007 and just have to take the second psych and medical that it… what I’ve hired is that all of the background investigators got moved to other departments and that they wont be going back to background anytime soon…

07-21-2010, 02:20 PM
Wow - What a braniac statement - "MDPD will slowly fade away"... Hello!!! MDPD is the Sheriff's Office for the County and CANNOT go away... Get off the pipe dude!!! Are times bad - absolutely - are any sworn people being laid off - NO... "All of these municipalities" - what are you talking about??? There are only 3, and small ones at that, which MDPD provides service for, and if you had any clue as to what you were talking about, you would know that there has been and is still a moratorium on any new cities incorporating... You're killin me here...

07-21-2010, 04:50 PM
Wow - What a braniac statement - "MDPD will slowly fade away"... Hello!!! MDPD is the Sheriff's Office for the County and CANNOT go away... Get off the pipe dude!!! Are times bad - absolutely - are any sworn people being laid off - NO... "All of these municipalities" - what are you talking about??? There are only 3, and small ones at that, which MDPD provides service for, and if you had any clue as to what you were talking about, you would know that there has been and is still a moratorium on any new cities incorporating... You're killin me here...

Yea...MDPD is not going to fade away the county's unincorporated population alone stands at about 1,081,422.

07-23-2010, 11:53 PM

Ok. If you want to get technical, the only guaranteed services that the Sheriff's Office of each county in the State of Florida must provide to the citizens of the county are jail services, court services (including civil paper services), law enforcement services on un-incorporated areas and a center where sexual offenders, sexual predators and felon registers. Also, if all area within a county incorporates into a city, then there is no need for county police unless the city CONTRACTS the Sheriff's Office. To put it in simple terms, if all areas of Miami Dade County incorporates or annexes with surrounding municipalities, then there wouldn't be MUCH need for road officers from the county. The city will actually pay for its Law Enforcement services.

For your info, there's more than 3 municipalities. Last time I check, there was 35 registered municipalities within Miami-Dade County alone.

07-24-2010, 02:06 AM

Ok. If you want to get technical, the only guaranteed services that the Sheriff's Office of each county in the State of Florida must provide to the citizens of the county are jail services, court services (including civil paper services), law enforcement services on un-incorporated areas and a center where sexual offenders, sexual predators and felon registers. Also, if all area within a county incorporates into a city, then there is no need for county police unless the city CONTRACTS the Sheriff's Office. To put it in simple terms, if all areas of Miami Dade County incorporates or annexes with surrounding municipalities, then there wouldn't be MUCH need for road officers from the county. The city will actually pay for its Law Enforcement services.

For your info, there's more than 3 municipalities. Last time I check, there was 35 registered municipalities within Miami-Dade County alone.

Too bad all areas incorporating will never happen...

07-24-2010, 05:39 PM
Too bad all areas incorporating will never happen...[/quote]

You are probably right about areas not incorporating or annexing. But I tell you something fellow brother, if your department keeps providing "mediocre" services to the unincorporated areas it wouldn't surprise me if they will try annexing to nearby cities and towns. Look what happen to Miami Gardens, and Pinecrest. That's a good tax bracket that the county lost since they have their own people to provide services.

07-24-2010, 05:41 PM
Let's not forget about Aventura and Sunny Isle who incorporated as well.

07-27-2010, 09:48 AM
All of whom still pay percentages of their tax incomes to. Also, cities incorporate(and form their own police) to control the police and have "selective policing." I bet you enjoy not being able do your job the way it should be done. More cities equals more jobs for police, MD isn't shrinking and the population isn't receding. So let them annex and incorporate, there will still be a MDPD.

07-27-2010, 02:20 PM
OK - Yes there are 35 or so municipalities that have their own departments, but as a previous post says, smaller departments call for more selective policing based on City Council's / Mayor's / Contributors, etc. wants and needs and political affiliations... Not to say it doesn't happen with MDPD, but since MDPD is so large, is happens, surprisingly, to a lesser degree... I was referring specifically to the 3 small towns MDPD currently provides police service to, not the other 35 who have their own cops... You also seem to have overlooked or otherwise negated the FACT about the moratorium on new incorporations...

Anyway, MDPD has been doing more with less for the past 5 - 10 years (look at the actual statistics - MDPD has less sworn now than 10-15 years ago and nearly double the population), and unfortunately, it's only going to get worse with the economy the way it is...

Our job as COPS is hard enough, and we ALL DO THE SAME JOB, just at different departments, so can we quit all of the idiotic bashing of PD's here??? Yes ALL departments have A$$HOLES working for them, but none of us are any better than any other - We all put it on the line every day for people we don't know, and we are the only ones who will have each other's backs when the proverbial SHXT hits the fan, so put the Brown vs Blue vs Tan vs Black vs Green aside and remember that we are all we've got to count on... I'm done...

07-27-2010, 10:42 PM
We all wear a silver badge and we all bleed red....