PDA

View Full Version : UNION CONTRACT

09-10-2009, 04:44 AM
it appears that our current union negotiations dont appear to be making the "stand strong" emails like they did last year when there was some positive news to report. has anyone heard from these mysterious characters who are representing us??
the last time i talked to one of them i was told that our merit increases were history. this means if you are making lets say 17.00 an hour, you will continue to make 17.00 an hour until the next contract is negotiated in several years. i was also told that the sick time that is usually added to your years of service at the end of your career is leaving. i have not heard anything to say this isnt true.

it appears that if you arent in the soon to be retired phase then you can just flounder. this is mainly because all of our fearless negotiators are fairly close to retiring and topped out.

is anyone aware that our negotiators cant be removed and that there are no term limits to their current positions. kinda means that there is no incentive to "represent" you if you cant remove them. wish i were getting 10 g's and couldnt be held accountable.

one last positive comment. it appears that lakeland electric won their impasse and will be getting retro pay for lost COLA. see what happens when you fight for what you believe in instead of just getting taken advantage of ....

stand strong....

09-10-2009, 04:30 PM
Over the past several weeks I have heard several rumors about what we are getting or not getting or who is going to make out and whose going to get shafted. So I simply asked one of the reps what was going on. The way it was explained to me was that there will be a step added but no one is getting a raise for the next two years. You will continue to get your merit increase (step) but will not see the money. When the pay raise freeze is over you will get paid at the rate (step) you have achieved. Bottom line now is that we need to start focusing on the election and helping the candidates we are endorsing. Otherwise, we will continue to suffer at the hands of our anti union, anti police city manager (when I say police I mean actual working cops not administrators) and like minded commisioners like Fields and Yates. Bottom line is if you have questions ask and don't stir everyone up because of a rumor you heard. Lastly, the last time I checked Nick was not taking the PBA stipend but if he is I have no problem with those guys getting it. Fact is PBA business takes alot of time away from family and the ability to work S-15.

09-10-2009, 09:12 PM
I agree with you. With times being as they are, we have to take what we can get. The union isn't going to solve all of our problems, but I think our reps have integrity and will do the best they can for us (even you whiny babies who love to complain but offer no solutions. Did you put in to be a rep recently?) As long as we have, as was stated, a dishonest and anti-police city manager, a herd of sheep for city commissioners (except Troller and perhaps one other) who follow his lead, and an unsupportive police department administration who doesn't give one whit about the officers under its "command", we are at a disadvantage. However, we sort of control our fate, to a degree, with this upcoming election. Show up at debates, post signs, support "our" candidates, and we can eventually send Dougie and his cronies (tangent - idea for Ledger article: investigate how many of Doug Thomas' friends from Michigan have been hired to high paying positions by the city and Lakeland Electric) packing and get someone who values professional and effective law enforcement. I also agree about another point. I don't know if Nick takes the stipend either, but having seen how much time he spends on union stuff, I hope he does. (I would.) To Nick and the rest of the reps, Keep up the good work, and know that you have more support than you know.

09-15-2009, 12:53 PM
HELLO they only had one meeting. Give them a chance. Hey there is an opening put in for it and make a difference.

09-16-2009, 10:38 PM
There you go ole timer, keep the wheels of content just the way they are. lets do nothing and see where it takes us. ill answer that questions now, NOWHERE

09-29-2009, 02:18 AM
There's an easy answer to this BS: Vote NO to any contract ratification proposed containing any cut to merit increases. They (City) screwed us last time around and knew/ should have known that it wouldn't be easy next time they came to the bargaining table. Until we agree or we drag this out to arbitration, they must maintain the status quo.

09-29-2009, 04:26 PM
There's an easy answer to this BS: Vote NO to any contract ratification proposed containing any cut to merit increases. They (City) screwed us last time around and knew/ should have known that it wouldn't be easy next time they came to the bargaining table. Until we agree or we drag this out to arbitration, they must maintain the status quo.

I agree. I am pro PBA all the way but if a contract is presented with a merit raise freeze then vote no. I am topped out so it does not effect me but it is a matter of principle. Dougie Boy got over on us last year by renaming the COLA, giving the rest of the city a raise and shafting us. Now they want to freeze our merit. How about firing the piss poor budgetary planner who failed to forecast that a city wide general employee raise last year would effect funding for already obligated merit increases. That is if you even buy into merit increases costing the city money. Merit increases are cost nuetral by design wherein top pay employees retire and are replaced by lowest pay new hires. If a new contract is not ratified the current contract (which includes merit increases) stays in effect. Don't let Dougie Boy get over on us again. Fool us once shame on you, fool us twice shame on us. Let's change "Stand Strong" to "Fight Back".