PDA

View Full Version : Hiring

09-10-2009, 01:16 AM
Does anyone know when SPD will start hiring?

09-12-2009, 12:46 PM
Found out that the City Manager has approved the process of recruiting to begin again late last week. Contact Det. Devaney (sp?) for further reference the process.

03-04-2010, 11:57 AM
Can anyone tell me if SPD is still hiring now? Is Ofc. Devaney still the recruiter/background investigator?

03-04-2010, 08:15 PM
BE smart and go to the SSO across the street. It's a no brainer. U can thank me later.

03-06-2010, 01:52 AM
The City Manager has mandated that SPD will give preference to minorities applying to SPD. So if you're a white male wanting a job, best not to waste your time with SPD. Besides in a few months you won't be getting a pension if you work for SPD so go to another city or county that values their police department and their officers. SPD's best days ended when the current administration took office. RIP SPD..........

03-06-2010, 10:07 AM
Dear Damned, Thanks for the 43....what is the City going to do with the Pension system? I thought I read something about it going to the Florida Retirement System (FRS). Is that what you mean?

03-06-2010, 02:04 PM
All non-vested employees will be rolled into a 401k system, defined contribution. All those that are vested will most likely maintain thier pension but at a reduced multiplier and delayed COLA. Of course the Chief and the City Manager will say it is all open to negotiations, I think anyone who has half a brain understands that the powers that be have already made their decisions and are moving to make them realities. Moving SPD into the FRS is not an option due to the fact it would cost the City too much money in the short term. They want savings NOW. They have squandered all the opportunities over the years to avoid this problem and now it will be the employees of the CIty that will pay for the City's mismanagement. Bartolatta is nothing more than an axe man hired to reduce the CIty's budget, the PD is over half the budget, ergo Bartolatta has taken his already tained thoughts about police in general combined it with the fact our budget is the largest in the City and is now playing out his perverse fantasies of revenge for the fact that his last City's Police Department's attempts to arrest him for beating his dying wife. As I said previously go somewhere that will respect your efforts, there are many fine departments in the area that are hiring. Good luck with your search.

03-06-2010, 08:36 PM
Thanks Damned again. I can tell you are very versed in the areas of retirement funding. I too have some background in that field and much appreciate your insight. That sure would be a blow to the employees that have opted to make SPD their home and permanent employer. In my particular case that 401k idea would actually be beneficial. If someones intentions are to only stay at an agency for a specified time and then move on, the 401k plan lets you take it with you. You would be in the same boat if you worked for SPD for like 2-3 years and then quit. The 2-3 years of contributions would serve you no good to leave them with an agency you no longer work at, but rather take/roll them over to the next plan administrator, or worse case is cash it out. Thats why so many people like the FRS because of its portability throughout florida. If you start working at a Sheriff's office or a participating municipality and then have the need to relocate or for some other reason leave...then you can just go to another FRS employer without all the red tape.
I think City police dept. stayed out of the FRS on purpose to keep employees (Police) from jumping ship. If your vested, and then become disgruntled it become more of an incentive to stay at your city rather than loose the pension you have already built. I'm single with no children and am free to move or relocate. Therefore the previous concept would work better for me. The City is just trying to shift the responsibility outside the Agency! I'll bet you will see more of that in other Cities here soon. Let me know what you think about my thoughts. I like to learn from others viewpoints, thanks.

06-13-2010, 03:32 PM
If your not a minority or female don't bother applying for SPD. Even if you have years of experience and training and come recommended by your former agency don't bother if you are not a minority or female. They will use the most minuit thing to justify not hiring you. They will use unconfirmed information to justify pulling your app. if your not a minority or female. So don't waste your time at SPD.

06-15-2010, 01:42 PM
What are you talking about only being a woman or a minority? I'm a white male who just got informed yesterday I got hired.

06-15-2010, 06:41 PM
Ewwww what a billy........

06-20-2010, 12:50 PM
Does anyone know when SPD will start hiring?

Check area agencies to see what they're paying.

http://www2.tbo.com/static/news-special-reports-data-bay/tbo-special-reports-database-hillsborough-salaries/

The salaries of all LEOs are public record. Find them all on the link above.
Manatee County Sheriff
Bradenton PD
Sarasota County Sheriff
Sarasota PD
Hillsborough County Sheriff
Pinellas County Sheriff

….and more