PDA

View Full Version : This whole FTO pay thing...

09-03-2009, 08:46 PM
So I read about this proposal on this site to take away the hard earned pay (for some FTO's) and turn it into, "You only get supplemental pay if you train someone that shift," crap. The proposal was nicely written and looked real. I believed it at first and thought the union was letting all the FTO's down. Then I had to make some calls and ask around. I finally found out through the grapevine that the union was not behind this effort.
I was pretty upset about the proposal. I mean, if you want to have well trained FTO's and have them do the hard work that not everyone can, or is willing to do. Then don't take away the only incentive they had. I know some of you are going to trash the FTO's that you have seen or know. I agree with you. Some of them are pathetic, lazy and worthless. They don't know jack sht, and only want the stripes and money to bully people or look good somehow. These same people are expected to train and mentor the new guys?
Well, I can't speak for all of them, but I know many who work very hard. Many who put in put in long hours, and many who have to suffer, by teaching the unteachable. You know what i'm talking about. Everytime a little FOG who is unqualified, couldn't pass the background check, or physcological test, and miraculously gets hired. Well, somebody has to FAIL them. It's the FTO's! Someone has to do the dirty work. If the FTO's didn't do they're job and rightfully fail these idiots, you could end up working a zone next to them.
I will tell you, sometimes it's not worth the money. Col. G. hires the worst of the worst and the stress the FTO's have to endure riding around with these idiots for 11.5 hours a day, everyday, for weeks on end. It will make you crazy!
Some of you don't know what i'm speaking about. I will help you. You can spot the latest FOG hire, easily. Look for the FTO with his or her gun in their mouth, sitting next to the pathetic excuse/future criminal/newspaper headline/embarassment, in a patrol car that is driving in circles to nowhere for 18+weeks and setting new records for time spent in training. Now you are starting to remember, you get the idea, right? Well, the pay is the only thing that makes it less painful. It's keeps you going, along with a few new hires who have never heard of FOG, are ready to learn, fully functional, and want to be a good cop.
I have to tell you, I was pretty upset. If the union wanted this new pay system, then I could see the FTO's giving up their stripes and just doing the same job as everyone else. How could you blame them. Who would want to be an FTO? It wouldn't be worth the crap and stress. This is just the reality of the situation.
Thank god I found the truth. I feel relieved now. I want to thank the union for correcting this misunderstanding. I have to take my hat off to them. They did a great job of letting us all know, and keeping each and every one of us informed with the weekly updates and postings about what is going on with our contract negotiations. If it wasn't for them and our union reps keeping us informed, I would have believed this crap to be the real deal. Oh, wait I must be crazy. They didn't. I guess that's too much to ask from our own union, who we pay for, and represents our best interest. I guess we only get the whole story five seconds before we have to vote on it. Foolish me.

Have a great day.

09-03-2009, 09:37 PM
Good post; and it would be such a simple thing for Kaz, Ernie and the PBA staff to do.

Texas
09-03-2009, 11:06 PM
I hear Kaz is putting himself in for a raise... 50%!

09-04-2009, 12:54 AM
WHATS FOG?

09-04-2009, 04:57 AM
I'm an FTO and have been for over a decade. I'm grandfathered in so I won't lose $. So yes, I FTO for free. Why do I do it for free? Because I want to be part of making sure newbies are taught the correct way and helping others who ask for help.
We have FTO's who have no business in the program. We have FTO"s who don't train anyone or maybe 1x a year. Do the COP FTO's train people?

Taking money from the FTO's is going to be bad for the Agency in the long run. Cut the FTO's that don't train but don't cut everyone.

Will the trainers in training lose their FTO money too? They don't train EVERYDAY.

There are many other non-beneficial areas they can cut money from, not the FTO program.

Who is everyone that decided this was the way to save money and approved it? Was it brought up in the PBA open forum meetings or was it discussed behind closed doors amongst Kaz and his cronies?

09-04-2009, 05:11 PM
WHATS FOG?

You are so lucky to NOT know! This FOG thing will blow your mind!

09-04-2009, 11:59 PM
I would love to be an F.T.O.......I would do it for free without hesitation.Unfortunately I have'nt been here long enough.Maybe one day...I really do love working here.Everyone is great. :D

09-05-2009, 12:06 PM
This "FOG Thing" is what is killing this PBSO Thing. BUT, "It's Always Been Like This; Always Will Be" and that is killing the PBSO Thing as well. Until we all step up and do away with the "FOG Thing", then we will just mope around and be suppressed by it. How wonderful it would be to be working in a FOG-free environment where we could look at each other and know for sure that the other was in place on the job, or in an assignment, or in a particular rank based on whole and complete testing and a whole set of legitimate criteria. Imagine the respect and 'down to business' attitudes that would prevail here. No more "Friends Of GAUGER" getting all the breaks. FAIRNESS AND INTEGRITY are not just words, dear friends.

09-05-2009, 03:18 PM
Interesting how you use the "FOG" to blame for the placement of all personnel, utilizing the influence of his position. Obviously, you don't have any idea of the workings of the Sheriff's Office and the parameters of the union contract. Or maybe you just have an issue with the colonel and want to make up things for your own personal jealousies or agenda.

The selections for specialized positions are advertised 4lzq85lmthru HR and are posted on the web for all to see and then respond to. HR examines the entries and determines eligibility and forwards the list to the specialized unit. That unit then sets interviews and selects a committee to gauge the qualifications of the applicants. The applicants receive scores from each member and those forms are then sent to HR to determine what the placement of the applicants are on the list. No where in this process is the FOG involved. The specialized units then select off the list, determined by rating.

So, quit spreading lies and get realistic on what the truth really is. If you have a problem with the colonel, go see him. I don't know of anyone he has personally fired in all the years he worked there. I do know of a lot of people he could have written up, but didn't, could have fired, but didn't and a whole bunch that he has helped with personal problems. In other words, try the truth...

09-05-2009, 03:58 PM
Interesting how you use the "FOG" to blame for the placement of all personnel, utilizing the influence of his position. Obviously, you don't have any idea of the workings of the Sheriff's Office and the parameters of the union contract. Or maybe you just have an issue with the colonel and want to make up things for your own personal jealousies or agenda.

The selections for specialized positions are advertised 4lzq85lmthru HR and are posted on the web for all to see and then respond to. HR examines the entries and determines eligibility and forwards the list to the specialized unit. That unit then sets interviews and selects a committee to gauge the qualifications of the applicants. The applicants receive scores from each member and those forms are then sent to HR to determine what the placement of the applicants are on the list. No where in this process is the FOG involved. The specialized units then select off the list, determined by rating.

So, quit spreading lies and get realistic on what the truth really is. If you have a problem with the colonel, go see him. I don't know of anyone he has personally fired in all the years he worked there. I do know of a lot of people he could have written up, but didn't, could have fired, but didn't and a whole bunch that he has helped with personal problems. In other words, try the truth...

How naive...it's almost refreshing...but ultimately pathetic!

09-05-2009, 04:26 PM
That was my one good laugh for the day. I'be been here for over 25 years and down to the clerical positions you pretty much know who already has the job before it is even posted. Then employees actually thinking they have a chance apply and go through the dog and pony show only to find out at the end that it was the person identified from the start that got the position. Only thing different now is, in some cases, they don't even bother with the dog and pony show.

09-05-2009, 05:58 PM
That was my one good laugh for the day. I'be been here for over 25 years and down to the clerical positions you pretty much know who already has the job before it is even posted. Then employees actually thinking they have a chance apply and go through the dog and pony show only to find out at the end that it was the person identified from the start that got the position. Only thing different now is, in some cases, they don't even bother with the dog and pony show.
The whole world works that way. I've worked a lot of places before becoming a cop and have never seen it different. Lesson? Whining does no good. Decide where you want to be and go make some friends. Be the chosen one. Whoever decided that was a bad thing? The bozos who you should be angy with are the liberals who have convinced America that somehow opportunities should be passed out without regard for what the boss thinks of someone.

09-07-2009, 03:07 AM
Any FTO positions coming up?

10-27-2009, 11:49 PM

Wait a second! This is true, BUT if the FOG wants you in the unit you will make the unit, no if's and's or but's. But that also goes for other "higher ups" that want you in a specific unit. It's all about who you know, as is in any agency. Even with the FOG issue around, we still have a decent system.

10-28-2009, 12:24 AM
I agree, we do have a good system. It is easy to blame the system, or those within the system, for our own shortcomings. It is often alot of work to get specalized jobs. Many will say they have earned it, but done little in reality. As to the Colonel, I have never known him to try and hurt anyone, but has bent over backwards to help many within our agency!

10-29-2009, 10:36 PM
I agree, we do have a good system. It is easy to blame the system, or those within the system, for our own shortcomings. It is often alot of work to get specalized jobs. Many will say they have earned it, but done little in reality. As to the Colonel, I have never known him to try and hurt anyone, but has bent over backwards to help many within our agency!

And he has also let others with no "hook" with anyone swing in the wind over stupid little issues. Rather than step in and say "Wait....this jut isnt the right thing to do" he jsut turns a deaf ear and tells you to be like the little kids blow-up punching back......take the hit and get up again. :devil: :devil: :devil: