PDA

View Full Version : Dash cam video procedures and policies?

08-31-2009, 10:33 PM
What is CCPD policy on recording dash cam video? Is it's use discretionary or is it required to be used?

How long are videos kept if there is an arrest? what about if there is no arrest?

Are detailed maintenance logs kept for each piece of equipment?

If a police report states that the equipment wasn't working at th time of a stop do maintenance records provide a paper trail that will confirm this to be true?

I came across an article discussing DUI arrests in Broward County. Apparently many DUIs were going to trail and getting acquitted due to the dash cam evidence refuting the officers allegations. The department then requested an opinion from the SAO as to whether they are required under FL statute to record stops. The SAO opinion stated that while the statute requires all cruisers to have dash cam video equipment installed, it does not require the officer to actually use it. After receiving the SAO opinion the department changed their policy to NOT record DUI stops as the conviction rate is hirer if it is officers word against the defendants word at trial.

What is CCPD policy on recording DUI stops? Is it required if the equipment is operational, is it at the officers discretion, or is department policy that you not record DUI stops?

08-31-2009, 10:38 PM
And yes i know it's trial and higher, not trail and hirer. Sorry :)

If your with the spelling and grammar police relax, we all make mistakes.

09-01-2009, 06:27 PM
call Captain Lisa Barnes, oops I am sorry Sergeant Lisa Barnes and she will get you a copy of the policy.