PDA

View Full Version : Gullibility no defense for sheriff's actions

08-21-2009, 11:36 AM
Politicians need to pick their pals carefully.

That practice is especially true if you are Lee County sheriff. You never know when a felonious money launderer or kidnapper — or both — will infiltrate your inner circle.

**** Spence did more than befriend Sheriff Mike Scott. He became his political confidant and buddy. They exchanged 371 telephone calls between October 2005 to August 2008, which overlaps Scott’s two campaigns.

Yet, despite having the best criminal background search computers available, Scott never once checked out the past of former New Yorker and Alva resident Richard W. Spence Sr., 51.

Golly, North Fort Myers native Scott, Spence was a damn Yankee.

“You saw the records,’’ Spence says about The News-Press investigation into their relationship. “I used to speak to him two or three times a day, every day; I called on his main sheriff’s cell phone.’’

A convicted felon, with a rap sheet of prestigious criminal credentials, was close and getting closer.

Spence, who manages the Alva Village Market, served three years in prison for a 1995 New York conviction of laundering more than $100 million for the Colombian Cali Cartel, a violent drug-smuggling operation.

Scott says he didn’t violate the felon fraternization code, yet former Sheriffs John McDougall and Rod Shoap say his friendship with Spence clearly violated policy.

Why is it never Scott’s fault for wrongdoing?

Remember Obama?

Why can’t the sheriff spot a con man angling for a position as influence peddler within his agency?

Scott says early in the relationship, Spence wasn’t obligated to be up front.

“When **** and I first met many years ago, it was the result of our children attending the same elementary/middle school and being in the same class together,’’ Scott says in an e-mail Monday. “At that point, I do not think it was necessary for him to disclose his past to me.’’

That’s crazy. A true friend would know the fallout and be forthcoming.

“When I announced my intention to run for sheriff in 2003, he approached me and offered to assist ... ,’’ says Scott, 46. “He said he enjoyed politics and at that time, I feel very strongly that he should have disclosed his past.’’

Trot out the excuses.

“Still unaware of his past and with knowledge that he had just helped (State Attorney) Steve Russell’s 2006 campaign and others, I accepted his help again with my 2008 effort until learning of his past in August 2008,’’ Scott says. “The second campaign would have been another point in time that I feel very strongly that he should have disclosed.’’

Where was Scott’s suspicious cop antenna?

Spence moved into Scott’s life and staked a claim with his family and an influential role in agency decision-making.

Scott was gullible.

“By every indication since the first day I met him until now, he displayed no signs of being anything more than a family man working long hours in a small business,’’ Scott says. “This is why I was so shocked when I found out.’’

The sheriff never thanked former Chief Deputy Charlie Ferrante, who brought the information to Scott’s attention.

“I immediately met with him and confronted him, expressed concern, and advised that the friendship we had developed over those many years would change dramatically,’’ Scott says. “At this time, I also returned his campaign donation with a letter saying, ‘thanks but no thanks.’’’

Still, the sheriff couldn’t completely cut ties with the irrepressible Spence.

After Scott was alerted about Spence on Aug. 8, 2008, phone records show an 11-minute call with Spence on May 19.

“No. I do not recall the contact you cite specifically, but I know that I spoke with him briefly when he called upon learning of my Mom’s surgery and also after (The News-Press) story ran to apologize.

“I also saw him out one evening by chance and after a brief hello, my wife and I excused ourselves.’’

Get ready for the agency spin of beyond reproach.

“The policy prohibits regular or continuous associations with knowledge and so regardless of 11 minutes on May 19th or any other contact short of regular or continuous,’’ he says, “I remain unaware of any member of the LCSO (including me) ever being outside our policy.’’

What about 10 workers investigated for violating the policy in the past five years? Seven were found in violation; one was fired and another resigned.

Was associating with Spence a poor decision?

Again, not my fault.

“When did I first learn and what did I do upon learning?’’ says Scott about disassociating himself from Spence.

“This really is the bottom line.’’

Wrong again.

Wake up, Mike.

Any cop with a lick of intuition would have sniffed out Spence and snuffed out the relationship before it started.

08-21-2009, 11:55 AM
Great article Sam!!!!!!!!!!!!!

08-21-2009, 11:57 AM
just copy and paste the article with a brief comment in the beginning

08-22-2009, 05:14 PM
I've seen a lot of corruption in law enforcement in my lifetime. While and Aux. Police Officer with the Portsmouth Police Dept., I saw an example of what our Chief was doing, he'd drive around the city on Friday and Saturday nites, with his city vehicle, always having his close friend with him who was a car dealer. I was so embarrised when he came to the scene of a stolen vehicle, with the owner and his wife standing on their porch giving me the information needed,when the chief pulled up and very loudly said: "What the F--- is going on?" I was so embarassed, especially for the woman and other neighbors standing around. I then had an instance whereby I was directing traffic after a serious auto accident. I was trying to keep the traffic moving so the ambulance could get to the scene. The chief pulled up, got out of his car and started towards me, I yelled at him: "MOVE YOUR CAR, OR I'LL HAVE YOU TOWED". He knew from my tone of voice I wasn't playing with him, and he got back in his car and drove on, allowing me to continue moving the heavy traffic. I stated to my husband, who was a retired Capt. from the department, that my gut was telling me that the Chief was going to jail, he laughed at me, and said I was crazy. It wasn't two months later the Chief was arrested for various crimes, was convicted and went to prison...now how crazy was I ?

It wasn't long after moving to Carteret County, NC that I learned that the Sheriff and his second in command were involved in various criminal acts. After the State NCSBI did an investigation of lawyers, judges, the DA, that both the Sheriff & DA retired. Guess they couldn't handle the heat. The 2nd in command ran for Sheriff. Thank God he didn't get elected, as I learned he was often involved in drug arrest, whereby drugs dissapeared before trial, with the accused being released. It was also learned that his son was deep into drugs. The 2nd in command was closely tied to a Lebanese man who was in our country illegally for over 10 yrs, even putting a Big campaign sign up in front of the illegals Cigar store he opened by laundering his money from his cigarette smuggling.