PDA

View Full Version : The Shifts are Horribly Undermanned

08-21-2009, 02:21 AM
It's great that all of the fufu and admin positions have been brought back up to full staff but could we get some bodies on Patrol?

We have one per zone almost every shift and every day. No one takes into account vacations, injuries, sick time, training etc. They post OT coverage constantly. The three new officers will just replace the light duty ones. What about the other ten bodies? We are gonna get seven but they won't be any help with the call load. They just brought people out of spots just to swap them out and fill the spots right back up and now staffing is worse? We couldn't even have SROs or DARE for the summer, although the SROs were helpful with S4s.

It sucks! It sucks to have 4-5 supervisors supervising 4-5 workers. It sucks to see the admin eye candy doing nothing productive. It sucks to see all the supervisors taking long lunches together when some of us never get to eat! I know it's a job but come on, practice what you preach. We almost as many dogs as we do officers, no offense but the K9 program is a waste of resources and time for what you get in return. We won't even start with the 8 admin bodies and full time horse person. This city is turning into a ghetto and it will be better off if and when the SO takes it over.

08-21-2009, 03:25 AM
The key word there is IF......and I doubt very seriously you or I will ever see that day. Yes we are a very busy agency and I for one like it, but if we got rid of the K9 and you wanted one, we'll have to call the SO and then they would charge us like they do for everything else....then you'll be complaining about the expense...At least you have a job. Thank you sir may I have another.

08-21-2009, 05:45 AM
blah blah

blah blah

blah blah

08-21-2009, 08:54 AM
If you are on my squad on Days and you don't get a lunch, don't B*tch about it anonymously on a message board, COME SEE ME....I WILL MAKE SURE YOU EAT! Jeez!

08-21-2009, 12:02 PM
If you are on my squad on Days and you don't get a lunch, don't B*tch about it anonymously on a message board, COME SEE ME....I WILL MAKE SURE YOU EAT! Jeez!
Noone should have to come see you. Get your head out of your azz and pay attention to what's going on.

08-23-2009, 07:58 PM
It's ok Capt Commando will come save you any time in his big ole truck he drives around in with the media

08-24-2009, 01:22 AM
If if wasn't for the particular Captain that you disparage.....we would be stuck with 95 officers... Be happy you have an administrator that will think outside the box to come up with a program that can win a grant award.

Before you post we needed them in patrol....many agencies who were less creative were denied the grant...

As for him driving the truck.... I don't think he has kept a vehicle longer than a few months since he was promoted. He is always the first one to give up his vehicle so that it can be used by an officer or sgt. who crashed their car or had to down theirs for some reason. Other administrators and sergeants would make the officer grab a pool car. The only reason he has the truck is because we downsized from two training officers to one, it wasn't ordered for him. The crown vic he was driving was built out for patrol when a crusier was crashed.

Let's see, specialized positions that have went to patrol that haven't been reinstituted...

Crime Prevention
Training
Bicycle officers (x2)

08-24-2009, 04:01 AM
I think he may have been talking about the other captain. Right? His truck is a lot bigger than the other one.....and he is the PIO. Please specify which Captain your slamming so we can know whether defend or pile on!

08-24-2009, 02:33 PM
Who cares about trucks?

I don't want to slam the grant or CRA, it will prob be a good thing however, how can it be justified to the other areas of the city that are being swarmed with crime because you have one officer per almost every shift. "Sorry citizen you don't count as much as The Purple Ringer".

I want to make the point that things are busy on the streets and we are spread thin. Yes the bike guys are gone but then a two man traffic unit was created, yes training was cut by one but we have one officer on a permanent training status and someone is always either teaching or in class on patrol. Any argument that patrol is undermanned is not based in facts.

If thats the way it is, so be it, but first improvement in the job market and some of us are gone. It makes it tougher to take on the days there is a 1:1 supervisor to worker ratio....it just doesn't seem efficient. At the least let a supervisor ride shotgun with every officer and that will save gas and they can approve the reports on the move.

I don't want to slam the agency but I think this needs to be addressed. There is a bit of Ivory Tower syndrome going on. It is hard to have empathy when you are sitting in a leather backed chair deciding where to take an hour lunch thinking everything is fine because a yuck yuck is telling you so. Meanwhile we have officers going x99 to calls and clearing large businesses by themselves at night.

The morale between the officers is good not because of the Admin but in spite the Admin. It is dangerous and someone will get hurt as evidenced in Tampa. The Admin will be shocked as they were unaware. Well here it is: we need more people, you gave us some and then took them back, we are over 10 ten down from last year and these three are a drop in the bucket. I am tired of getting ridden like a mule while people back at the station are decorating, eating birthday cake and organizing charity events. How about charity for your line workers who will soon be taking a pay reduction?

Morale is bad, your people are stressed, criminals are getting away with more, and you have a "Let them eat cake" attitude.

I know I don't speak for everyone like the supervisors and yuck yucks and I know I can go somewhere else if I don't like it, an attitude that has served this place well.

08-24-2009, 04:45 PM
Get off eves or suck it up.

08-25-2009, 12:45 AM
I don't think you can blame the admin for the reduction in force. They didn't ask for it and have done everything posssible from my perspective to get them back.

As for going x99 to calls....I have been here a long time.... we have always at times had to go x99, for that matter it happens at every agency at times. It is part of the job. However, no one asks you to search big buildings by yourself. Not a wise judgement call in my opinion.

However, when the recession is over and the other agencies start hiring.....excercise your options....no one is stopping you... You won't be the first and you certainly won't be the last. However, those of us that stay, we will be long retired before you because you have to start all over again. All because you felt overworked. Heaven forbid you go to TPD where they really earn their money. Where in the time I have been employed here they have lost six officers in the line of duty. I am sure you will find negatives no matter where you work. The question is, can you find the positives.

08-26-2009, 01:03 AM
I'm not complaining......Thanks for the paycheck!!! Its a small one...but at least its better then working at Walmart or Micky D's :snicker:

08-26-2009, 02:48 AM
How about making changes and taking a stand a making this place a real police agency, knock down the ivory tower and the good ole boy games,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, yeah right this is p park,,,,,,,,,,, getterrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr done

08-28-2009, 09:16 PM
Wow...insightful...those were some great ideas.

09-08-2009, 06:30 PM
PPPD OFFICERS SHOULD WORK 24/48 LIKE F.D.