PDA

View Full Version : Sheriff defends friendship with convicted felon

08-17-2009, 06:46 PM
New controversy tonight surrounding Lee County Sheriff Mike Scott. He's now answering questions about his friendship with a felon, who contributed to his two campaigns.

This is after a report hit the front page of the News-Press today, with a long list of phone calls exchanged between the the sheriff and convicted felon, **** Spence.

The Cali Cartel was of the biggest drug cartels in history. Spence was one of only three men in charge of its American operations. He said he laundered over $100 million and was convicted in 1995. And Spence is the first to admit, the group had strong ties to both local and national political figures.

The News-Press reports Spence's strong influence over Sheriff Scott. But Spence tells me he's just a friend and casual political advisor.

I asked Spence if the sheriff made any decisions based on his advice.

"Absolutely not," he told me. "Mike's a man of his own."

I asked Sheriff Scott the same question.

"Not a campaign manager. Not a confidante in any way, shape, or form. Not running the sheriff's office."

So I showed the sheriff a page out of his own policy book - that forbids associations with felons.

"If you don't know the person is a convicted felon then what good is this policy?" he asked me.

But, as the sheriff, isn't it his job to know? I asked him if his relationship with Spence was wrong.

"Absolutely not. Uniquivically not,' he said. "I did not now that the man had a shady past. Immediately upon learning that, I disengaged. I don't know what else to do."

He said he first found out about Spence's past last August from then Chief Deputy Charles Ferrante. Scott told me he immediately cut off all contact with Spence and returned his $500 campaign contribution....which Spence verifies.

I asked Spence why he didn't tell Sheriff Scott about his past.

"This would have never come up in a million years if Charlie wasn't so disgruntled," he explained. "And that's what this comes down to. And I just took that gamble that nobody would ever find out."

But they did find out...and Spence says he's still friends with other employees at Scott's office.

"I would have great concern with that. Great concern. Absolutely," Scott said.