PDA

View Full Version : Where's the PBA?

08-17-2009, 04:26 PM
The distinct impression I'm getting now is that it's being suggested we should roll over and take the furlough days. "It could be much worse," is the response. Well it is going to get worse. One of PBA reps advised, "This year looks bad, next year is much worse." So what's in store for next year? 18 furlough days? More? Are we headed towards part-time employee status? If we don't stop this now, we will have opened Pandora's box. Once the City gets away with this, they will not stop.

We've already been told to expect 0% raises in our next contract. So can we expect 0% raises plus furlough days.

Where is our union? Why are we paying dues?

08-17-2009, 05:48 PM
I actually took the time to speak to one of the union rep's and that is NOT what is being suggested. I suggest you speak to one of them directly and not post on a web site your mistaken translastion of what was said.

08-17-2009, 06:56 PM
I also spoke with a Union Rep and I know they are not just rolling over and taking it. I also know the PBA was meeting with our Commissioners letting them know they are not OK with the furloughs. While I was walking through the building last week I saw Bruno, the PBA attorney, and the PBA President all there. Let's not spread rumors we are all in this together.

08-18-2009, 10:06 AM
:cop: First thing..this icon rocks. Second, how about a meeting with the troops to inform us about what is going on. I mean, we have two knuckle heads representing us and we are suppose to trust that these two are going to look after us. Really......Put a family man in that seat and see if this would be going the same way instead of a single silver sneaker and a guy who don't even look at his pay checks.

08-18-2009, 11:35 AM
2 alleged knuckleheads that we voted in. If you think you can do better then run for a rep spot.

08-18-2009, 12:09 PM
If they impose furloughs we need to become sick a lot - think about it. That means calling out sick for every little "illness".

08-19-2009, 04:29 AM
Hmmm, 9 furlough days + at least 4 officers leaving + upcoming range qualifier and In service = VERY SHORT ON THE STREET.

And don't worry CM, I am very disappointed in you too.

08-19-2009, 05:01 PM
this police department is going to shit...morale is in the dumps!

08-19-2009, 05:47 PM
"morale is in the dumps". Why? And, even better, what are your suggestions?

08-20-2009, 03:01 AM
More than happy to offer my opinion, and thank you for asking!

The primary reason morale is low mostly revolves around the treatment from city hall, primarily the city manager.

For example: You receive a citizen complaint from a citizen that states he is upset that three patrol cars passed by without helping his dav. First play diplomacy to citizen, sure. Pass it to chief, OK. Do.not write a contempt laced emAil to a solid police chief that you hold a grudge against. ThIs affects moral. Instead let go of your past disagreement, let him do his job and handle the situation.

Next

we understand the economy and understand you want to save money, great! Understand your police dept IS NOT JUST ANOTHER DEPT!!! if you give parks or library days off it does not affect crime, safety, and public safety! Force a already short dept and you do. Do not wait for us to get hurt or a citizen die due to slow response. We can and have offered our vacation trade in, holidays, ot, and benefits forca year to help witj budget instead of cutting our manpower. Work with your public servants.

Next, some positives

the sgts lt cpt dep chief and chief have done a good job of communicating, understanding, connecting, and listening to our issues. Most morale issues come from city side.

Remember, no other city job offers the same very real danger of getting hurt, killed, drinking out of a tube for rest of lives, stress etc matbe fire but thats about it. Treat usvwith dignity and respect. We may be the ones saving your life.

Oh and Mac--- Your cops do more good in a day you never hear aboyt than you can ever guess. so still the "dissapointed in my cops" crap.

08-20-2009, 06:24 AM
Before you (city commission) insist on furlough days, I want you to do me a favor. Go to the police department, pick up a midnight shift read off sheet, and look at how few officers are on during the average midnight shift. It is downright dangerous. Now take away 1 or 2 officers from that list, wow right? Now take away the 3 more officers that we know to be leaving, holy crap huh? Backup? naw none available.

08-20-2009, 12:35 PM
Don't like it?
THEN QUIT!!!

08-20-2009, 07:44 PM
Don't like it?
THEN QUIT!!!

Really? Do you even work for largo? If you do and thats your attitude you need to retire. Attitudes like that show you do not care, and need to go.

Good email chief aradi! I hope the commission and ol Mac read it and see this is about lives, not money. Take care and treat your law agency properly, or get rid of it and go contract city so someone will. city department is better but not if you run it like Mac wants too.

Time to retire mac. You only care about your power and ego now. Sad sad sad.

08-22-2009, 01:16 AM
Largo police chief
blasts staffing cuts
Updated: Friday, 21 Aug 2009, 7:01 PM EDT
Published : Friday, 21 Aug 2009, 5:58 PM EDT

Steve Nichols
LARGO - Wednesday's shooting of a Tampa police officer motivated a strong email from Largo's police chief to the Largo city manager.

Chief Lester Aradi writes his department has been understaffed for years and refers to "diminished officer safety".

The email concludes with "I cannot, in good conscience, agree to further staffing reductions of furloughs that removes more officers from the streets of our community."

Largo's proposed budget for next year eliminates three positions from the police department and includes nine days of furlough, or days off without pay. Union representative Mike Bruno says the furloughs equate to one less officer on patrol every shift for the entire year.

He also has statistics showing Largo has the fewest number of officers per capita in the state.

"So the officers are responding to more calls than average, they're taking more arrests than average, and they're working real hard in trying to keep the machine working," Bruno says. "But at some point you take pieces out of the machine it breaks down."

The furloughs became an issue after the union refused to forego 4 percent pay hikes promised in a new contract with the city.

"To pay and make good on our contract would cost $373,000, and the city has millions in reserves and they choose not to use their reserves," said PBA executive director Michael Krohn.

City manager Mac Craig did not answer inquiries, but in a letter to the PBA, he says the labor agreement does not "...guarantee or (limit) the number of hours to be worked per day or per week."

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/dpp/news/l ... uts_082109 (http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/dpp/news/local/pinellas/Largo_police_chief_memo_staffing_cuts_082109)

08-25-2009, 07:00 AM
LARGO, FL -- Largo Police Chief Lester Aradi says taking more officers off the street could put his force at risk.

But, issuing furloughs is a possible solution to the city of Largo's budget woes.

City Manager Norton Craig says Largo needs to find $1.7 million in budget savings and thus proposed no pay increases for any city employee in 2010.

But, according to the Suncoast Police Benevolent Association, the Largo Police Department has a contract promising them a 4% pay increase.

Craig says if the raise goes through for the Police staff, he can make up the savings through furlough days. The furlough days would require officers to take days off unpaid. That has Chief Aradi fired up.

In an email to the City Manager he wrote: "I cannot, in good conscience, agree to further staffing reductions or furloughs that remove more officers from the streets of our community."

Michael Krohn, Executive Director of the Suncoast Police Benevolent Association says officer safety and adequate staffing has become an even bigger concern for officers in Largo following the shooting death of on-duty Tampa Police Corporal Mike Roberts.

The Largo city commissioners still have to vote on a final draft of the city's budget.

08-25-2009, 10:04 PM
MAC you are a complete waste of a city manager. Thanks for all the support. We want Susan back!!!!!!!!!!!!