PDA

View Full Version : Coming Sunday: The sheriff and the felon

08-15-2009, 09:56 PM
Scott is obviously the media darling these days. :roll:
Too bad ~Spence is a good guy suffering for his relationship with Scott-Aye Now there's the rub!

08-16-2009, 02:11 AM
Spence's role in 90s money laundering scheme
http://www.news-press.com/article/20090815/SS15/90815026/1075

08-16-2009, 01:53 PM
Wow what an article. Watch of for Shawn Ramsey and a whole list of others mentioned in the article. It goes to show you that the sheriffs office is not worried about crime, you need to watch out for your back first. God job newspress for exposing all this.

08-16-2009, 01:56 PM
THe News Press didn't want this article out. It's been taken down as of about 9:30 a.m. Sunday.
They know they now libeled **** Spence because he was pardoned and now the felony conviction doesn't exist. Hope he gets a good lawyer. ANd no, i don't know the guy and wouldn't recognize him if he told me his name.

08-16-2009, 01:59 PM
the sheriff's office isn't being painted as the bastion of honor and ethical endeavors, which pizzes me off that all of us are subject to public we protect and serve wondering if we're corrupt

08-16-2009, 02:02 PM
THe News Press didn't want this article out. It's been taken down as of about 9:30 a.m. Sunday.
They know they now libeled **** Spence because he was pardoned and now the felony conviction doesn't exist. Hope he gets a good lawyer. ANd no, i don't know the guy and wouldn't recognize him if he told me his name.

I was going by the News Press article. The link is now down and I can't find confirmaton of any pardoned. I may have been wrong.

08-16-2009, 02:17 PM

Not sure what you mean, Spence was not pardoned. He completed his sentence, one of the atty's involved Wienig was pardoned by Clinton. Article is online and reports details about the cartel are accurate depictions.

The Cali Cartel's low-key style helped it build extensive distribution networks right under the noses of law enforcement, giving the cartel an advantage against its adversary. The cartel operated with the compartmentalization of a terrorist organization,.

Translating the slogan "Support your local police" into bricks and mortar, the leaders of Cali's cocaine cartel reportedly helped pay for the tidy police posts that dot the Colombian middle-class neighborhoods in a drive to suppress street crime.
http://www.nytimes.com/1991/07/14/world/cali-the-quiet-drug-cartel-profits-by-accommodation.html

Is this what's going on in Alva?

http://www.news-press.com/article/20090816/SS15/90815026/1075

RACHEL REVEHL
rrevehl@news-press.com

Richard “****” Spence, manager of the Alva Village Market and friend of Lee County Sheriff Mike Scott, was one of the top three organizers in the New York cell of the Colombian Cali cartel that laundered more than $100 million in the early 1990s.

Spence was convicted in 1995 of money laundering, wire fraud, false statements, extortion, mail fraud and criminal forfeiture. He also was convicted of laundering $500,000 of drug money in Miami.

In 1994, Spence was a 37-year-old New York City entrepreneur.

Now 52, he recalls being approached by two attorneys, Harvey Weinig and Robert Hirsch, who asked if he would transport $500,000 to various locations in the city for a cut of profit.

“Two attorneys telling you it’s legit, that’s like a doctor telling you you’re sick,” Spence said. “You believe it.”

It wasn’t legitimate.

The scheme

According to the federal indictment, Spence and the attorneys recruited two rabbis, a police officer, a firefighter, a stockbroker, a Bulgarian diplomat, a hospital worker, a bank manager and 12 others to launder millions for the cartel. Spence estimates the crew laundered $185 million. The operation spanned five states and four countries.

Citing federal authorities, The New York Times reported in 1994:

When drug traffickers had about $1 million in street sales, a Cali representative called Weinig’s firm to say a pickup was ready.

Then Spence would dispatch a courier. The funds were taken to the bank and wired to offshore accounts. Sometimes, couriers entered the bank with garbage bags stuffed with money. Spence, Weinig and Hirsch received a 7 percent commission.

Around this same time, Spence was involved in the kidnapping of a man who had allegedly cheated him of more than $200,000 through a phony investment.

The scope

Ron Chepesuik, author of the 2007 book, “Drug Lords: The Rise and Fall of the Cali Cartel,” said at its height in the early 90s, the Cali empire delivered 85 to 90 percent of the cocaine supply in the U.S. and Europe and was raking in an estimated $5 to $7 billion annually.

Hitmen working for the organization were known for their ruthlessness — sometimes killing entire families in the quest for drug trade domination.

“It’s no exaggeration to say the Cali Cartel was the most successful and powerful operation in drug history,” Chepesuik said.

The cartel turned crime into a business, Chepesuik said, complete with board meetings, and they recruited money launderers with a wide range of expertise.

“It was a very sophisticated operation,” the author said.

Arrest

Spence said he didn’t know until two months before his arrest what he was doing was illegal. He said he quit and made arrangements for a permanent move to Fort Myers. He and his wife owned a $180,000 house at the Caloosa Yacht & Racquet Club in Fort Myers, purchased in 1987.

A News-Press article printed in December 1994 detailed Spence’s arrest and listed him as a part-time resident. He served 36 months in prison.

Federal authorities, while investigating the police officer’s involvement, uncovered widespread corruption in the Bronx 48th precinct, and nearly the entire night shift was fired.

Weinig and Hirsch pleaded guilty and served prison time. Weinig, through various White House connections, was pardoned by President Bill Clinton.

Spence, also a retired New York City firefighter, was found to have falsely claimed an ankle injury. He was ordered to repay taxpayers nearly $300,000.

“I’ve been told I should write a book about all of it,” Spence said.

08-16-2009, 03:09 PM
the sheriff's office isn't being painted as the bastion of honor and ethical endeavors, which pizzes me off that all of us are subject to public we protect and serve wondering if we're corrupt
That is why we need the PBA, if we had them then we would be protected and could speak out throgh them. Dont you think that guy Ceil or Cecil would be out there in the media for us like he is for the other agecnies. Wake up and vote for the union so we can move forward. I dont want some drug dealer making the choice on my Lts test.

08-16-2009, 03:14 PM
I agree completely. A convicted money launderer, associated with the Cali cartel, in a long term relationship with a public official, who fired people for the same violations, is seeking and accepting advice for the same for the purpose of promotions? Out of order promotions as well? We need a union. Period. Idon't care who it is, PBA FOP lets get one now.

08-16-2009, 05:26 PM
That is why we need the PBA, if we had them then we would be protected and could speak out throgh them. Dont you think that guy Ceil or Cecil would be out there in the media for us like he is for the other agecnies. Wake up and vote for the union so we can move forward. I dont want some drug dealer making the choice on my Lts test.
only problem with pba is they are going to look out after admin, not us. We need FOP!

08-17-2009, 01:40 AM
Trust me, a union is useless! The FOP has not done a thing for your brothers just north of you. The fact is admin will do what they want, regardless of what the PBA/FOP says. You will just lose more money a month in dues. Wait until PBA's announces their negotiation success and how they try to tell you that you should be happy with the extra eight hours of sick time they got you but no raises. Save your money, Ya'll have been doing fine without them.

08-17-2009, 12:00 PM
Inmate Locator
About the Inmate Locator
Visiting - General Info

- Visiting Hours
- Who Can Visit?
- Background Checks
- Business Visits
- Special Circumstances
- Visiting Room Procedures
- Conjugal Visits

Locate Inmates Released Before 1982
Who is a "Federal" Inmate?

Related Documents Inmate Locator - Locate Federal inmates from 1982 to present
Name Register # Age-Race-Sex Release Date
1. RICHARD SPENCE 20577-018 71-White-M 07-27-2005 RELEASED
2. RICHARD SPENCE 43135-060 52-White-M UNKNOWN NOT IN BOP CUSTODY

Results 1 - 2 of 2

New Search FAQs Privacy

About | Inmate Locator | Prison Facilities | Careers | Inmate Matters | Policy/Forms | Doing Business | News/Information
Accessibility | Browser Requirements | Disclaimer | DOJ Legal Policies | FOIA | No FEAR Act | Privacy Policy

08-17-2009, 12:05 PM
Trust me, a union is useless! The FOP has not done a thing for your brothers just north of you. The fact is admin will do what they want, regardless of what the PBA/FOP says. You will just lose more money a month in dues. Wait until PBA's announces their negotiation success and how they try to tell you that you should be happy with the extra eight hours of sick time they got you but no raises. Save your money, Ya'll have been doing fine without them.
Really you didn't happen to notice the DO AS I SAY NOT AS I DO "pigs and hogs" sheriff that does everything a felon who has been involved with money launder, friend of murders, and kidnapper!!! Wow!!! How are they better off with out a union. Its a miracle the place is even running. Obviously the sheriff is not interested in anything but his power trip. Mike Scott keep going because you will get yours and TRUST ME WHEN I SAY "IT WILL BE WELL DESERVED" BECAUSE YOU ARE DISGRACE TO THE BADGE.

08-17-2009, 09:50 PM
I know **** Spence I used to deliver to his store, he is a nice guy I never would of known that he was a convicted felon. Sheriff Mike Scott went on the air with zito and garrett on 99x, and said what the newspress wrote, the phone calls he had with ****, was before he knew that he was a felon. He said that his relationship changed after he found out.

08-17-2009, 11:27 PM
I know **** Spence I used to deliver to his store, he is a nice guy I never would of known that he was a convicted felon. Sheriff Mike Scott went on the air with zito and garrett on 99x, and said what the newspress wrote, the phone calls he had with ****, was before he knew that he was a felon. He said that his relationship changed after he found out.

What?! Are you crazy? You must believe in the Lollipop Guilde and a land full of candy canes and gum drops. The news press printed it in 1994 when this guy was arrested and was a part time resident of Lee County and Scott was a deputy sheriff then. They reposted the article over the weekend. Was he (MS) living under a rock then? When he "met" this guy in person, he didn't think, why do I know this name? Did I read about him somewhere. If only I had access to a machine that would connect to an international server somehow where I could look up a name... Oh yeah the Internet! We do have one of those. I could put his name in a computer thingy and see what happens that would be swell.

People, wake up and get your head out of the sand and realize the nice boy from across the street just got caught. The wink and a smile won't help this time. It's BS that he didn't know until August. (Take a polygraph) YEAH Right, sell that bridge to someone else. Yes the relationship changed; quite sure once it was public knowledge he changed the way he met and spoke with the man. NBC2's site had him quoted saying he missed his friendship. Maybe they can go to TN together. Zito n Garrett, if that's your source for news, stick to driving truck you seem like you picked the right career.