PDA

View Full Version : Shift Activity WHO?

08-13-2009, 10:59 PM
Is it normal procedure for a watch commander to pull deputy statistics hours into the shift to evaluate activity? Remember,down time is used to prepare reports and case files and not to end up on a late report list. If so a deputy can be disciplined for not completing reports in a timely manner. Activity is usually monitored by monthlies and first line supervisors…correct?

08-13-2009, 11:52 PM
The problem with this department these days is that there is too much questioning of supervisors. Why in the hell is anyone questioning what the normal procedures are for watch commanders? If you are doing your job what are you concerned about? Any good watch commander will understand that there is down time to get caught up. We need to start putting the respect back in the ranks around here. When a sergeant tells you that they need something done you better damn well get to it. And you don't do what a watch commander tells you to do---God help you. This place would run so much better if we quit giving some of these cry babies an ear or an office to walk into. These deputies are by far the exception, but the bosses need to start asserting themselves more and quit entertaining all this bullshit going on. Quit worrying about what the sheriff and PBA will think. Be a boss.

08-14-2009, 01:45 AM
'Amen

08-14-2009, 02:46 AM
God who trains you young guys?

Clear with the Sgt first (via phone) but go 10-10 on the radio reference the case number and go kick back somewhere and knock it out.

If you are a good zone partner, if a lame call goes out someone will grab it for you knowing they owe you....

Welcome to police work...

08-14-2009, 06:06 AM
God who trains you young guys?

Clear with the Sgt first (via phone) but go 10-10 on the radio reference the case number and go kick back somewhere and knock it out.

If you are a good zone partner, if a lame call goes out someone will grab it for you knowing they owe you....

Welcome to police work...

It's not only the young guys. I've been here almost 10 years and it's the old timers too.

08-16-2009, 06:08 PM
Who trains ...you ask? well, if you haven't see it or figured it out...we have rookies training (and I using that word loosely) rookies. There are some many FTOs with 1-4 years with PBSO and only 1-4 years of Law Enforcement experience, out there training others. Lt wonderful and Sgt Swinger are quite into themselves. I'm floored that the agency would allow this to take place. They won't acknowledge it, and for sure deny it, that many of those rookies were "given", or better yet "handed" their FTO stripes. I should know, I witnessed it. Many other employees with much more experience and time with the department have tried to get an FTO position but have been turned away or worse intentionally denied...again I have proof. The agency should set a standard, like others have and require that a FTO have at least 5-7 years of experience before taking on the position.

Remember they only make policy or change policy, when its challenged and they loose, when someone gets hurt or when its a necessary change to benefit their cause.

08-16-2009, 11:11 PM
ask any senior cpl if their happen, no ,2 stripes are given out like candy,should be a test or limit or 5-7 yrs on daaaaahh yob.thankless job wit lots ob liability...

08-17-2009, 03:47 AM
FTO has been in shambles for as many years as I can remember. You have FTOs with no experience trying to train others by bullying and acting like they are King Shitzlle or something. These guys are just doing it for the money and they have no interest in training or helping other newbees. Its easy $$$ cause they dont have to train many people and they are getting all this extra mulla. We have hiring freeze on but we got all these deputies making all this $$$ for what? Arent we in a $$$ crunch? Yea, you think? Do the math for all these FTOs making 5% and 10% pay and there is over 50 of them.

08-17-2009, 03:51 AM
FTO has been in shambles for as many years as I can remember. You have FTOs with no experience trying to train others by bullying and acting like they are King Shitzlle or something. These guys are just doing it for the money and they have no interest in training or helping other newbees. Its easy $$$ cause they dont have to train many people and they are getting all this extra mulla. We have hiring freeze on but we got all these deputies making all this $$$ for what? Arent we in a $$$ crunch? Yea, you think? Do the math for all these FTOs making 5% and 10% pay and there is over 50 of them.

So, are you suggesting the agency take my 10% from my family asswipe? I think not. The PBA would have the 68 FTO all filing grivences and if that didn't work a law suit. So, mind your business rook.

08-17-2009, 11:46 AM
I am sure those grievances will fly in economic times like this when people are loosing there jobs all over the place. NOT. I have almost two years on the job now so I'm hardly a rookie anymore.

08-17-2009, 02:43 PM
hahahahahahahahahah if your id number is over 6000 guess again lame brain, most of us here worked for other cities boca,lake unworth boneton delway west bomb an were exposed to much more junk then here. hahahahahahahah you must beeeez a cpl..

08-18-2009, 12:36 AM
YOU DONT NEED NO LT IN FTO. SGT OB CAN RUN IT BETTER AND IF HE NEEDS HELP THAN PUT A CPL BACK IN THERE WITH HIM. YOU ALLREADY HAVE A LT IN TRAINING. PUT LT WONDERFUL BACK OUT ON THE ROAD.

08-18-2009, 02:37 PM
This post started with a question about LT's checking up on D/S's. That person was right the job of checking up should be on the SGT's. We all see it all the time when the LT takes the radio from the SGT during a 10-31 or other high stress situation. No one has faith that the guy under him can do his job correctly. Why should a boss have to check your status every 15 minutes. That shows a lack of trust in yuor guys doing their job. That is a lack of leadership.
As for the FTO problem, I agree. The biggest issue I see is that brand new, no experience guys are placed in slow districts. I saw it when I came over from another agency. A guy who has been on the job for a few years has no clue what to do because he hasn't had the chance to do anything. And because of that the guy has no clue that he doesn't know anything.
Also by placing a guy in a slow area first you breed a lazy D/S. He gets used to that pace of work. A quick fix would be to place new guys into the fast paced areas first and reward the guy who has been in the fast paced area for awhile with a break in a slow area. I know this would never happen but I think it would stop making these lazy crap D/S's.