PDA

View Full Version : problem employee

08-12-2009, 11:39 PM
I have a question for the new chief. i have been at the department for a little over 4 years and ever since i have been there, there is this one officer that never comes to work. she is always sick or something so bad that it is a joke. an actual joke how much time she takes off or how often she comes to work. the major, captain and lt know it, every sgt knows it, every employee knows it. its wednesday and she has already called out twice this week. here is the question, is the new chief going to do something about this employee. she was given a s.r.o. position so she would not have to be depended on for manpower on the road. even now she still calls out sick ALL the time, she has no sick leave time and no annaul time so she takes time off without pay, can't something be done. maybe other hard working employees would like to be an sro and she is just wasting a position. she is filling a sworn position that we could fill with some new hire that may actually come to work.

08-13-2009, 01:11 AM
darned good question

08-13-2009, 03:17 AM
Theres the serve......waiting for the return.

08-13-2009, 03:05 PM
This isn't the place to air our dirty laundry. We don't need to keep going after each other on here.

08-13-2009, 07:32 PM
Normally I would agree about your "dirty laundry" but this a very interesting topic. This has been an ongoing issue that has been acknowledged by the bosses for years however nothing has been done? The original poster has some very good questions that deserve an answer. With your department having serious manpower issues and a climbing crime rate, I would think you need every Officer to at least show up and help. One would wonder why this has been overlooked for so long? Hmmm, something smells here.

08-14-2009, 12:39 AM
This is a huge problem..... Isn't there a policy in the City of Bartow Handbook that if you use all your sick days and vacation days and you continuely call in and and have unpaid days that this would be considered excessive absentism and grounds for dismissal.

The Problem here is that the officers and Chain of Command have been dealing with her "Tony Days" for a couple of years now, and when the supervisors go to the "Upper Chain of Command" they are ignored or told that She has "Lawyers"... She will file Grievances for Harrassement or Sexual Harrassement. Whose the Boss here? Seems like the Striped boys in the Air conditioned offices need to cut the T-Back Strings and Boot her Ass out the door. If she needs that many days off well, give her permanant days off!

How fair is this for the other officers that come to work and do their job and cover her shift too. Last time I checked the officers at BPD are down in numbers on Road Officers and it does not look any better for you guys in the next years to come. Someone needs to grow a pair, put on your jock strap and stop being led by intimidation of this Lazy Ass and Say.. "Your Fired"...

08-14-2009, 03:31 PM
You've been here before. An employee uses up all of his vacation and sick days in the first six months of the year and then still needs additional time off. Do you have to continue giving him or her the leave? At what point do the absences become excessive and trigger disciplinary action?

Accordingly, the best way to manage absenteeism is to focus on the individual problem employee and then follow a progressive discipline program.

1. First offense - written counseling and warning that continued excessive absenteeism will lead to subsequent disciplinary action.
2. Second offense - written counseling session and warning that continued excessive absenteeism will lead to termination.
3. Third offense - termination."

For example, your supervisors should put the problem employee on notice, provide counseling about improving attendance, and document the warnings and steps taken.

Then, if the absenteeism continues, you are in a strong position to take needed corrective action to discipline, or even terminate, according to your normal policies.

When an officer straps on that sidearm and walks outside their home each morning, or evening, depending on their shift — their wives and their husbands know that when their loved one walks out that door, they are literally putting themselves in harm’s way every time they walk out that door. Absenteeism can create a even greater risk for these officers to be in harm's way.

Indeed, absenteeism can create problems in several different respects.

* Lost productivity of the absent employee.
* Overtime for other officers to fill in.
* Decreased overall productivity of other officers.
* Any temporary help costs incurred.
* Possible loss of another officer because of low manpower.
* Problems with employee morale.

08-15-2009, 06:59 AM
I agree w/the above poster. But the thing is that first we would have to have a few guys inthe ufppe5r office area or even sgts that are willing to step up and do their job. This has been going on way before they were ever in sro. they have been this way since the start. they have worked for a variety of sgts and each and every one are scared to do anything. why is tha i wonder. this employee is doing stuff they know they can get away with. so its not really their fault. it is the fault of each and every supervisor they have worked for and each and every upper area person becasue each and everyone of them know it has been going on.

08-27-2009, 03:30 AM
Does anyone here know for a fact that she has brought up lawyers or filing some sort of harrassement charge before? She is in my opinion a waste of space and money and has no business working for this agency or any other. I say let her file for unemployment if she wants to file something. She doesn't care about this job and uses the uniform as an excuse to get someone to look at her just like she did with her "Edited".

08-29-2009, 04:31 PM
Does anyone here know for a fact that she has brought up lawyers or filing some sort of harrassement charge before? She is in my opinion a waste of space and money and has no business working for this agency or any other. I say let her file for unemployment if she wants to file something. She doesn't care about this job and uses the uniform as an excuse to get someone to look at her just like she did with her "Edited".
Just because someone says' lawyer doesn't mean your knees should buckle and knock.... If the employees behavior justifies discipline, including termination, go for it. Bad behavior is a direct result of weak administration. It destroys morale and actually hurts any good employee. The administration needs to document, counsel and then proceed with whatever steps scary to get compliance from the employee. This is what happens after years of sweeping things under the rug. The HR director and CM need to address this, after all it has been here longer then the Chief. If nothing comes of this, everyone needs to carefully monitor the situation and use it if you're ever in the trick bag, it is called selective discipline..........

08-29-2009, 04:33 PM
Just because someone says' lawyer doesn't mean your knees should buckle and knock.... If the employees behavior justifies discipline, including termination, go for it. Bad behavior is a direct result of weak administration. It destroys morale and actually hurts any good employee. The administration needs to document, counsel and then proceed with whatever steps scary to get compliance from the employee. This is what happens after years of sweeping things under the rug. The HR director and CM need to address this, after all it has been here longer then the Chief. If nothing comes of this, everyone needs to carefully monitor the situation and use it if you're ever in the trick bag, it is called selective discipline..........
Sorry, fat fingers, it should read " whatever steps NECESSARY to get compliance", scary is what this city has become!

09-23-2009, 11:59 PM
No action taken

09-24-2009, 02:12 AM
Maybe the new chief can answer those questions. By the way, how is he doing? Is he staying out of trouble? :lol:

10-01-2009, 04:00 PM
Report to work, handle your calls, go home. Regardless of whats happening, it seems that this process is constant.

Peace

02-03-2010, 11:45 PM
Wow, that problem employee has been straightned out by the LT, she is blazing the attendance trail now. Thanks for handling that problem LT.

02-04-2010, 11:04 PM
I am still amazed she has a job. Does your administration not see that this is a morale issue not only a man power issue. It also sets one hell of a presidence So every employee at your agency can call in sick, and use all their vacation time and even take time off without pay and they can not be punished?!? I wonder if a male employee were to act this way would the department be as lenent?

02-05-2010, 02:39 AM
cover cover cover.....sweep sweep sweep.......cover cover cover.......sweep sweep sweep.....pretend your busy until 430 then go home and it will all go away. dont worry its not your problem, someone else will deal with it after you retire. Heck its not really that big of a deal, its not like it ticksoff the people who actually show up to work and do something to earn their paycheck.

02-09-2010, 12:03 AM
So I understand the buzz at the department today?!?!? She took several days without pay last week. So she worked a detail Friday night and a 12 hour detail on Saturday to make up for the lost money, turn right around and call in sick on Monday, without pay of course. How is it the city allows her to take time without pay, but then allows her to work a detail. I would love to work some details to make some extra money!

How can the new chief just ignore this? I understand McLin and the Major ignoring it, they have for years. Does the city manager know what is going on? I'm about ready to blow the wistle on this to the papers. I work hard and hardly ever call out and she gets to come and go as she pleases!

02-09-2010, 02:33 AM
I would bet anything she is protected under FMLA. Meaning, under federal law, she can't be disciplined for using leave for certain preapproved medical conditions.

That doesn't mean that leave can't be monitored very tightly. Every time she calls in sick and states it is related to her approved FMLA condition, she should be required to provide a new medical certification. Many doctors charge $25 to complete these forms. Also, if using excessive sick leave, many employers will deny all other leave requests; "Sorry, you have already missed too many days, we can't approve any additional days."

02-09-2010, 11:45 AM
I would bet anything she is protected under FMLA. Meaning, under federal law, she can't be disciplined for using leave for certain preapproved medical conditions.

That doesn't mean that leave can't be monitored very tightly. Every time she calls in sick and states it is related to her approved FMLA condition, she should be required to provide a new medical certification. Many doctors charge $25 to complete these forms. Also, if using excessive sick leave, many employers will deny all other leave requests; "Sorry, you have already missed too many days, we can't approve any additional days."

*With the pregnancy yes, with all the time missed for migraines, no. a day here and day there is not covered under the FMLA guidelines.

Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993

29 CFR 825.114 - What is a "serious health condition" entitling an employee to FMLA leave?

(a) For purposes of FMLA, "serious health condition" entitling an employee to FMLA leave means an illness, injury, impairment, or physical or mental condition that involv

(1) Inpatient care (i.e., an overnight stay) in a hospital, hospice, or residential medical care facility, including any period of incapacity (for purposes of this section, defined to mean inability to work, attend school or perform other regular daily activities due to the serious health condition, treatment therefor, or recovery therefrom), or any subsequent treatment in connection with such inpatient care; or
(2) Continuing treatment by a health care provider. A serious health condition involving continuing treatment by a health care provider includes any one or more of the following:

(i) A period of incapacity (i.e., inability to work, attend school or perform other regular daily activities due to the serious health condition, treatment therefor, or recovery therefrom) of more than three consecutive calendar days, and any subsequent treatment or period of incapacity relating to the same condition, that also involves:

(A) Treatment two or more times by a health care provider, by a nurse or physician's assistant under direct supervision of a health care provider, or by a provider of health care services (e.g., physical therapist) under orders of, or on referral by, a health care provider; or
(B) Treatment by a health care provider on at least one occasion which results in a regimen of continuing treatment under the supervision of the health care provider.

(ii) Any period of incapacity due to pregnancy, or for prenatal care.
(iii) Any period of incapacity or treatment for such incapacity due to a chronic serious health condition. A chronic serious health condition is one which:

(A) Requires periodic visits for treatment by a health care provider, or by a nurse or physician's assistant under direct supervision of a health care provider;
(B) Continues over an extended period of time (including recurring episodes of a single underlying condition); and
(C) May cause episodic rather than a continuing period of incapacity (e.g., asthma, diabetes, epilepsy, etc.).

(iv) A period of incapacity which is permanent or long-term due to a condition for which treatment may not be effective. The employee or family member must be under the continuing supervision of, but need not be receiving active treatment by, a health care provider. Examples include Alzheimer's, a severe stroke, or the terminal stages of a disease.
(v) Any period of absence to receive multiple treatments (including any period of recovery therefrom) by a health care provider or by a provider of health care services under orders of, or on referral by, a health care provider, either for restorative surgery after an accident or other injury, or for a condition that would likely result in a period of incapacity of more than three consecutive calendar days in the absence of medical intervention or treatment, such as cancer (chemotherapy, radiation, etc.), severe arthritis (physical therapy), kidney disease (dialysis).

(b) Treatment for purposes of paragraph (a) of this section includes (but is not limited to) examinations to determine if a serious health condition exists and evaluations of the condition. Treatment does not include routine physical examinations, eye examinations, or dental examinations. Under paragraph (a)(2)(i)(B), a regimen of continuing treatment includes, for example, a course of prescription medication (e.g., an antibiotic) or therapy requiring special equipment to resolve or alleviate the health condition (e.g., oxygen). A regimen of continuing treatment that includes the taking of over-the-counter medications such as aspirin, antihistamines, or salves; or bed-rest, drinking fluids, exercise, and other similar activities that can be initiated without a visit to a health care provider, is not, by itself, sufficient to constitute a regimen of continuing treatment for purposes of FMLA leave.
(c) Conditions for which cosmetic treatments are administered (such as most treatments for acne or plastic surgery) are not ``serious health conditions'' unless inpatient hospital care is required or unless complications develop. Ordinarily, unless complications arise, the common cold, the flu, ear aches, upset stomach, minor ulcers, headaches other than migraine, routine dental or orthodontia problems, periodontal disease, etc., are examples of conditions that do not meet the definition of a serious health condition and do not qualify for FMLA leave. Restorative dental or plastic surgery after an injury or removal of cancerous growths are serious health conditions provided all the other conditions of this regulation are met. Mental illness resulting from stress or allergies may be serious health conditions, but only if all the conditions of this section are met.
(d) Substance abuse may be a serious health condition if the conditions of this section are met. However, FMLA leave may only be taken for treatment for substance abuse by a health care provider or by a provider of health care services on referral by a health care provider. On the other hand, absence because of the employee's use of the substance, rather than for treatment, does not qualify for FMLA leave.
(e) Absences attributable to incapacity under paragraphs (a)(2) (ii) or (iii) qualify for FMLA leave even though the employee or the immediate family member does not receive treatment from a health care provider during the absence, and even if the absence does not last more than three days. For example, an employee with asthma may be unable to report for work due to the onset of an asthma attack or because the employee's health care provider has advised the employee to stay home when the pollen count exceeds a certain level. An employee who is pregnant may be unable to report to work because of severe morning sickness.

02-10-2010, 02:43 PM
out tuesday too untouchable? maybe not time is running out on this believe that Who Dat?

02-11-2010, 12:30 AM
It is very sad when a perfectly healthy person will hide behind what FMLA was really created for. It also makes me sick to know that this employee was allowed to continue to abuse sick and vacation time. Now is the time for Hall to step up to the plate and deal with this problem. I know that he cannot change the past but the employees are looking for him to change the future, give direction, and lead by example.

This department has been held together by a few select employees for way too long. It needs to get rid of the dead weight and start promoting valuable employees to positions that they deserve and in which they can truly make a difference in the way things are handled, moral problems, and implementing policies that really mean something.

The citizens of Bartow pay to have this Police Department and obviously they still want it, so why not make it the best place to work that it can be. It's time for the employees that don't want to come to work to get out and find a job somewhere else. With the economy in the shape it is now good luck finding another place that will put up with the things that BAPD does, however it is time for you to get out! Clear the way for someone who wants a great job. There are too many people on unemployment right now who would love to be able to do police work and get the pay and benefits that BAPD offers.

For what my opinion is worth, I would have fired her a long time ago.

Hoping her work ethic improves, knowing that it won't, and wishing her well in her new job when she is eventually fired.

02-12-2010, 01:02 AM
Please its same ole same ole on brass alley..... Don't hold your breath waiting for that change. admin has known about the prob for years and refuses to address it. the deputy chief still runs the pd and that wont change until he retires.......then when get gary for dc.

02-12-2010, 04:50 PM
This is a test

Unregistered
08-06-2021, 02:44 AM
Wow and she still causes issues. All you new detectives need to stay away from this one.

Unregistered
08-07-2021, 04:13 AM
This is a huge problem..... Isn't there a policy in the City of Bartow Handbook that if you use all your sick days and vacation days and you continuely call in and and have unpaid days that this would be considered excessive absentism and grounds for dismissal.

The Problem here is that the officers and Chain of Command have been dealing with her "Tony Days" for a couple of years now, and when the supervisors go to the "Upper Chain of Command" they are ignored or told that She has "Lawyers"... She will file Grievances for Harrassement or Sexual Harrassement. Whose the Boss here? Seems like the Striped boys in the Air conditioned offices need to cut the T-Back Strings and Boot her Ass out the door. If she needs that many days off well, give her permanant days off!

How fair is this for the other officers that come to work and do their job and cover her shift too. Last time I checked the officers at BPD are down in numbers on Road Officers and it does not look any better for you guys in the next years to come. Someone needs to grow a pair, put on your jock strap and stop being led by intimidation of this Lazy Ass and Say.. "Your Fired"...

What about Sgt Tag?

Unregistered
08-16-2021, 05:41 AM
Hear she is retiring soon as she says. I will believe it when I see it. This is one reason she got moved as SRO from the High School and into the DB area. Not a gain for DB but more of a problem.

Unregistered
08-18-2021, 01:09 AM
Heard theres another one starting to be just like her. Only worked 3 days and called out “sick” the rest since going full time recently. Thinks they are the exception to the rule of having sitter issues. Hope the new Capt pays better attention because we all know the other higher ups cover it up

Unregistered
08-18-2021, 02:16 AM
I think the new captain will be more focused on his own problematic departments like oh idk records and how red works two days and disappears for a week because she has an “ear ache”. Maybe don’t spend 80% of your work day outside smoking and shooting the breeze with the DB secretary and you won’t be “sick” all the time.

The one calling out for legitimately being sick with documentation, not sitter issues as you say, is the least of their worries up there. From what I hear there’s about 1 decent dispatcher left on nights, maybe 2 on days including the one you’re shit talking. Maybe spend less time with your head up your ass starting drama cause you’re bored mmk princess ;-)

Unregistered
08-18-2021, 02:49 AM
Why I got to be a Princess? Maybe Imma Prince

Unregistered
08-18-2021, 03:41 AM
Heard theres another one starting to be just like her. Only worked 3 days and called out “sick” the rest since going full time recently. Thinks they are the exception to the rule of having sitter issues. Hope the new Capt pays better attention because we all know the other higher ups cover it up

The coveting of some by the higher ups will eventually bite them in the Ace. It will happen because it already has and just kept under wraps. The funny part is they are so stupid they can't see the screw up.

Unregistered
08-18-2021, 07:37 PM
I think the new captain will be more focused on his own problematic departments like oh idk records and how red works two days and disappears for a week because she has an “ear ache”. Maybe don’t spend 80% of your work day outside smoking and shooting the breeze with the DB secretary and you won’t be “sick” all the time.

The one calling out for legitimately being sick with documentation, not sitter issues as you say, is the least of their worries up there. From what I hear there’s about 1 decent dispatcher left on nights, maybe 2 on days including the one you’re shit talking. Maybe spend less time with your head up your ass starting drama cause you’re bored mmk princess ;-)

It’s ok baby girl, don’t get your panties in a wad. You just keeping telling yourself everyone else is the problem. At least I’ve never been on our security system fulling around with officers on duty.

Unregistered
08-19-2021, 03:13 AM
It’s ok baby girl, don’t get your panties in a wad. You just keeping telling yourself everyone else is the problem. At least I’ve never been on our security system fulling around with officers on duty.

No baby girl here pal. Guilty conscience trying to deflect cause someone else has a valid point about shit talking and starting? Sounds like TS. Must be bored in that office again trying to keep the attention off of you and the lack of work you accomplish cause you’re too busy paling around with the crime scene children and giving unwanted useless advice to the youngins around there.

Get a life.

Unregistered
08-19-2021, 08:03 AM
No baby girl here pal. Guilty conscience trying to deflect cause someone else has a valid point about shit talking and starting? Sounds like TS. Must be bored in that office again trying to keep the attention off of you and the lack of work you accomplish cause you’re too busy paling around with the crime scene children and giving unwanted useless advice to the youngins around there.

Get a life.

She was ran out of patrol, kicked out of the high school twice, and other stuff we will not mention. Also the pro on getting out of call outs. A detective got the death letter from the SAO years ago for not doing their job. The SAO needs to look at this one also. MS has stated in front of several "she is our best detective". MS go back to dog training because your not to bright about anything else.

Unregistered
08-19-2021, 08:25 AM
She is good at smearing the good name of co-workers. Once she starts she will not stop. Advice, Believe what you see and not what your told.

Unregistered
08-19-2021, 10:29 AM
So when is the city manager going to put a stop to employees traveling to known hot spots knowing they will bring it right back to all of us. We are just now getting our people back to work because of some irresponsibles that can’t stay home or be responsible and wear a mask because they think they are too good and it won’t happen to them

Unregistered
08-19-2021, 10:46 AM
So when is the city manager going to put a stop to employees traveling to known hot spots knowing they will bring it right back to all of us. We are just now getting our people back to work because of some irresponsibles that can’t stay home or be responsible and wear a mask because they think they are too good and it won’t happen to them

What are you talking about. Polk County is a hot spot itself.

Unregistered
08-19-2021, 05:50 PM
She was ran out of patrol, kicked out of the high school twice, and other stuff we will not mention. Also the pro on getting out of call outs. A detective got the death letter from the SAO years ago for not doing their job. The SAO needs to look at this one also. MS has stated in front of several "she is our best detective". MS go back to dog training because your not to bright about anything else.

If that was the meeting where she said TS is the best at searching social media, I was in that meeting. Have you seen how much time she spends on social media? She probably is the best social media detective we have.

Unregistered
08-19-2021, 06:11 PM

When did MS say she was the best detective, I can tell you she’s no where near the average detective. She’s a waste of an officer and detective. She’s needs to be fired and let someone who will work back there. The only thing she’s good at is taking shit and she’s not that good at that to be honest.

Unregistered
08-19-2021, 06:38 PM
When did MS say she was the best detective, I can tell you she’s no where near the average detective. She’s a waste of an officer and detective. She’s needs to be fired and let someone who will work back there. The only thing she’s good at is taking shit and she’s not that good at that to be honest.

MS said it when she first got put in DB and I heard it more than once. It was when TS and her were buds and both were talking shit about others together. It's no secret. Ask anyone who was assigned back there at the time.

Unregistered
08-19-2021, 08:18 PM
It is highly entertaining reading your threads. I can’t imagine having to work with or supervise some of you. But complaining because someone said something positive about another employee? Quite petty, don’t you think?

Unregistered
08-20-2021, 11:38 AM
It is highly entertaining reading your threads. I can’t imagine having to work with or supervise some of you. But complaining because someone said something positive about another employee? Quite petty, don’t you think?

No it is not petty sweetheart. If you look back when this post started in the year 2010 it shows we have put up with your crap for several years. You have been lazy for years causing most of us to pull your weight. Insult to injury, we have put up with your drama and lying about others to make yourself look like the victim. Hall and BD were to weak and scared to take action, why? MS would not take action because you told her what she wanted to hear. Hopefully the new Captain will not put up with your manipulation and act on your incompetence. Your have alway got away with way to much. Your as pathetic as they come.

Unregistered
08-20-2021, 05:30 PM

Get a life.

Omg, so true!!!!

Unregistered
08-21-2021, 07:31 PM
No it is not petty sweetheart. If you look back when this post started in the year 2010 it shows we have put up with your crap for several years. You have been lazy for years causing most of us to pull your weight. Insult to injury, we have put up with your drama and lying about others to make yourself look like the victim. Hall and BD were to weak and scared to take action, why? MS would not take action because you told her what she wanted to hear. Hopefully the new Captain will not put up with your manipulation and act on your incompetence. Your have alway got away with way to much. Your as pathetic as they come.

From what I hear the new caption won’t do anything but talk out his a$$. Toni needs to be gone and there’s no secret about that.